FIXED FGHB2844LF5 Rust on back of Frigidaire Refrigerator

Status
Not open for further replies.

yuliapo

Premium Member
Can you please tell what you told to customer service that they agreed to pay for the parts and labor.

kirksav

I registered just to post this. I bought a Whirlpool deep freezer 3 days ago and noticed this when I went in to take something out this evening.

OoxZVwB.png

I think I'm going to have it picked up next week and exchanged. Not looking to mess with any of this repair stuff :)

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's not good on a brand new freezer.

Looks like they forgot to add foam insulation on the evaporator tubing inside the freezer.

Let us know how your new exchange does.

Jake

Bob86ZZ4

Premium Member
Wow, I recently pulled out my Electrolux Icon French door counter depth and it has the same rust wet area on the upper back. It's got a build date of 06-13. I'm turning it into a spare fridge for the basement since I've had so much trouble with the ice maker. Anybody know, is the rust/cold spot caused by the coolant lines running into the ice maker? Because I intend to completely eliminate the ice maker in mine. If that's possible. But I'm going to start another thread on that so not to hijack this thread. Just wondering if I am able to eliminate the ice maker if that will also eliminate this cold spot problem?

Billynn

If anyone has a Frigidaire fridge, might want to look at the back. Ours is rusted through from the inside. Frigidaire says contact an authorized service company, they say the back can’t be removed and can’t get to it from the inside. It’s a 2012 French door.

We had a 4 year extended warranty that expired 8/2016. I don’t routinely look at the back, so maybe y’all might want too....Now on 3rd round of emails with Frigidaire, not getting anywhere.

Lowes, where we bought it, says it’s caused by the water in our area. I’m not believing that the problem with so many others having this problem too.

87B656FA-434E-4DD9-8878-E5AFE8EE18B2.jpg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Now on 3rd round of emails with Frigidaire, not getting anywhere.
You can send then a thousand emails and you still won't get anywhere. Big companies only respond to lawsuits, so if everyone that has this Frigidaire problem on theirs, hire a lawyer for a class action lawsuit, then Frigidaire will respond.:)

Jake

AWinebrenner

Premium Member
We just had ours fixed and now the ice, water and drain line are frozen and will not work. A tech came back out and said there is no fix for this issue that the repair kit that was sent out has frozen all of our lines. My frig is just outside of our warranty it was up 10\17. Frigidaire wants to offer is 50% off a new frig which is a slap in the face since they are the ones who broke it!

Buboy

Yes, call Frigidaire: 1 (800) 374-4432

They will send the approved authorized Frigidaire service company out.

Jake
I noticed the same problem on my frigidaire 2 days ago. Large rust at the back behind the icemaker. Called customer service and they keep saying the fridge is no longer on warranty and they have no recall notice for the problem. They wanted me to call a service provider in my area and have them take care of it. Any suggestions on what I can do to get Frigidaire to give me the same assistance they did for other friends on this blog? Would appreciate your help. Thanks!

AWinebrenner

Premium Member
Frigidaire ended up replacing my refrigerator with a new one. I called and kept asking to speak to a manager and kept going up higher. The refrigerator has a consession that they will pay to fix. But u have to say consession and talk about you have seen thison all the blogs. And just keep at it till you get the answers you are looking for.

MangyVarmit

Premium Member
I was in a tough spot, since my Kenmore-branded refrigerator was made by Frigidaire and out of warranty. After many calls to both Sears and Frigidaire, the end result is that they are each saying the other is responsible for any out-of-warranty repair. I would have to take one or both of them to small-claims court to get any traction.

In the meantime, I noticed a couple weeks ago that the water no longer came out of the dispenser. Pulled the unit, and there was now not only the rust spot that had been there for quite a while, but also a 2" x 3" and about 1" thick piece of ice "growing" on the rust spot, and it had enclosed the water line! I of course removed it and after thawing the water line it started flowing again.

OK, time to fix this myself if I could. I called my local appliance repair guru, and he said to get some self-adhesive automotive heat/sound dampener and apply a few layers. I got it, cut out 3 14"x16" sections, cleaned/dried the area really well, and then applied each section positioned with the rust spot in the center. It's about 1.5" thick.

Anyway, maybe this will help someone in the same situation as me. Not ideal, but hopefully it will extend the life of this unit a few years longer.

Saurav Shakya

Hello All,

I recently saw the same problem on my refrigerator as well. When called Frigidaire, they simply said that the warranty would not cover this. I also mentioned what I had learned from this blog but they did not wanted to cover it. What did you guys tell the company when you had it fixed for out of warranty refrigerator? Thanks in advance.

Jreu

I was in a tough spot, since my Kenmore-branded refrigerator was made by Frigidaire and out of warranty. After many calls to both Sears and Frigidaire, the end result is that they are each saying the other is responsible for any out-of-warranty repair. I would have to take one or both of them to small-claims court to get any traction.

In the meantime, I noticed a couple weeks ago that the water no longer came out of the dispenser. Pulled the unit, and there was now not only the rust spot that had been there for quite a while, but also a 2" x 3" and about 1" thick piece of ice "growing" on the rust spot, and it had enclosed the water line! I of course removed it and after thawing the water line it started flowing again.

OK, time to fix this myself if I could. I called my local appliance repair guru, and he said to get some self-adhesive automotive heat/sound dampener and apply a few layers. I got it, cut out 3 14"x16" sections, cleaned/dried the area really well, and then applied each section positioned with the rust spot in the center. It's about 1.5" thick.

Anyway, maybe this will help someone in the same situation as me. Not ideal, but hopefully it will extend the life of this unit a few years longer.
Have any pictures of your fix??

ol_lonely

Premium Member
5303918657 available

What's the part number that's on the box it came in?

Because you can clearly see 5303918657 is Available here: 5303918657 Rear Panel Kit

Useless the part number on the package it came in has been changed.:)

I don't know the answers to those questions, as I have not installed this kit as of yet.

Jake
the page says "No Image Available" meaning they don't have a picture. the part is available. if it is a Frigidaire or electrolux unit, they may cover some or all the repair. if it is a Kenmore branded unit (made by frigidaire) they likely won't cover it. you'll be lucky if they acknowledge the problem. of course the "fix" is a band-aid that covers up ,the problem and stops the unit from dripping on the floor. it will eventually corrode the copper heat exchanger since the problem may actually be a separation and the cap tube would need to be re-attached to the suction line and then install the "kit. if they don't access the heat exchanger and repair it, they may be only doing half the job.

jenjenrn

Premium Member
IMG_4683 - Copy.jpgIMG_4684.jpgIMG_5534.jpg

This is the damage that has been done to my home from my frigidaire. It actually was made worse by the sweat kit being applied, as it was a cover up and not an actual fix. Would anyone consider a class action law suite?

jenjenrn

Premium Member
Hello All,

I recently saw the same problem on my refrigerator as well. When called Frigidaire, they simply said that the warranty would not cover this. I also mentioned what I had learned from this blog but they did not wanted to cover it. What did you guys tell the company when you had it fixed for out of warranty refrigerator? Thanks in advance.
If they have had to create a sweat kit, they obviously have had enough people complain and then just go away because they continue to refuse to address the actual problem. Several people have had sever damage to their homes. Take pictures and document everything. Would you consider a class action lawsuit?

jenjenrn

Premium Member
You can send then a thousand emails and you still won't get anywhere. Big companies only respond to lawsuits, so if everyone that has this Frigidaire problem on theirs, hire a lawyer for a class action lawsuit, then Frigidaire will respond.:)

Jake
I agree and am trying to see if anyone wants to file a suite. I have mold damage now due to their fridge and they are refusing to reimburse or replace the unit

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That is one of the worse ones I've seen Jen.

Yes, I'd talk to a class action lawyer in your area and refer him/her to this thread.

Jake

Lucie

Premium Member
Lucie

View attachment 37249View attachment 37250View attachment 37251

This is the damage that has been done to my home from my frigidaire. It actually was made worse by the sweat kit being applied, as it was a cover up and not an actual fix. Would anyone consider a class action law suite?
I would be more than happy to join a class action law suit, given everything I have read this is a major problem with Electrolux design and/or manufacturing. I have a Frigidaire French door with bottom freezer, pulled it out to clean the floor of dust and such, and found this same rust spot everyone is talking about on this forum. Called store where we bought it well don't you know hhgregg is out of business. We had purchased the extended warranty for 3 years or so I thought. When we called the warranty company they said NO my warranty was up in 8/2017. WHOA how can that be we bought it on 8/14 it cleared stated that the manufacturing warranty was for 8/14/2015, then add on the 3 years I can count that is 8/2018.

Nope they said and hung up when I got feisty. Nice business

I then call Electrolux got the run around mentioned this blog they never heard of this problem, blah blah blah. Called Sears asked if they were certified Frigidaire repair men they said yes, they sent out a repairman cost about $ 100.00 for him to tell me that I HAD TO CALL AND GET THE REPAIR KIT then call them back and they would come out to install it.

sorry so long a story, but finally I got smart called Frigidaire automatic answering selected #2 which means I have a warranty in place they then start to give me a list of certified by them repair companies. First one they name it about 3 miles from my home and is a mom and pop business which is a plus and they knew exactly what I was talking about as they have dealt with this issue already. Got an appt for the next day. So fingers crossed it will be fixed.

Thanks for reading. Lucie

Status
Not open for further replies.