FIXED FGHB2844LF5 Rust on back of Frigidaire Refrigerator

Status
Not open for further replies.

amychambers

They were familiar with the issue and process and will take care of it no charge.

I'm curious - did your appliance repair person act like it would help? I spoke to one just a few moments ago, and he said it wouldn't really stop the rusting. Acted like it was just a bandaid and not a total fix?

orliszpon

Premium Member
band aid solution

They were familiar with the issue and process and will take care of it no charge.

I'm curious - did your appliance repair person act like it would help? I spoke to one just a few moments ago, and he said it wouldn't really stop the rusting. Acted like it was just a bandaid and not a total fix?
I am not sure whether you are addressing the comment to me since no appliance person visited me. I discovered the problem and after long discussions with the manufacturer they agreed to cover 20% of the parts but not the visit. I thought this was miserly. I put duct tape from the back of the refrigerator so that the humid air does not hit the cold air escaping from the refrigerator. It works to the extent that there is no condensation running down the back of the refrigerator. With any luck the hole will not get too large before the refrigerator dies, at which stage I will go with a different brand.

Etrnlife316

I have the same issue with my Electrolux refrigerator ... I have heard that the foam backing they put on is just a bandaid and will not help much ... does anyone have any thoughts on this? The unit is only about 7 years old so I hate to have to replace it, but I may have to. Any advice on a better brand for future?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Any advice on a better brand for future?
Whirlpool, Maytag, KitchenAid, and Amana.

Jake

Yusuf Singleton

Premium Member

Didn't end up as easy as expected. Had a bit of runaround with the service company, but eventually sorted it out. I have the parts but tech will be coming out this week. I will have wife all of this is a fix or a bandaid.

MikeChastain

First, let me say thank you for this blog. So many people are benefitting from this who would otherwise be clueless.

Now, I've read the posts and I think the guidance to go through electrolux is very good for most. However, before sending an authorized service tech to my house they asked me (via email) if I bought it from an authorized dealer because it's registered under Paul in Albuquerque, not Mike (me) in Georgia. Well, that's because I bought it from Paul after he moved.

My questions:

1) Am I screwed since I didn't buy from authorized rep or should they still help me fix it?

2) I disconnected the water line from the house. Are there any other steps I should take?

3) If they won't help and I buy the repair kit, can I do the work myself? How difficult on a scale of 1 to 10? I'm pretty handy.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

jbart65

I've got the same problem. Electrolux French Door 2012. Top ice maker froze up and water line freezes every couple of days. Rust spot on the back, just like in photos posted on this thread. Problem started after year 5 and has gotten progressively worse.

For awhile I thought it was improper seal, family members not pushing food totally inside, etc. Or some such. Then I thought it was an old and clogged water filter. Got a new one but no dice. The problem seemed worse in the winter than in the summer.

Then I found this thread.

I am out of warranty and a fix would cost me $500 or so, based on discussions with my DC area repair center. I don't think it's worth it.

My solution?

I defrosted the fridge for a full day and used a blow dryer to melt the ice buildup behind the top ice maker. I bought a tape roll of insulation - the silver kind found in hardware stores - and cut 6-10-inch strips. I used them to cover the rust spot and worked my way down to the bottom of the fridge, covering the vertical strip (the whitened metal) where water dripped down.

The insulation basically goes between the metal back of the fridge and the water lines running from back of the top ice maker to the bottom cutout where the water lines reenter the fridge. I also used some of the tape insulation to wrap around the water lines where they enter the fridge at the bottom.

I then took a 4-5 foot strip of black tubular insulation and stuck all the water lines into it as added protection. My fridge does face a back exterior wall, and though it is well insulated, the problem did seem more common in winter than summer.

I turned off the top ice maker permanently.

So far so good. Water has worked for 17 straight days. Before it would freeze up every 2-3 days.

Bottom ice maker works fine. I just take some ice from the bottom ice maker and add it to the top one to get crushed ice and such. No problem.

The fridge does seem somewhat noisier, but my wife doesn't notice. Hopefully I can get 5-7 more years out of it.

Thanks to all who already chimed in. It was a big help.

Osuwest75

Premium Member
I just had the service tech out and he said that he has never seen this issue in a side by side only on French door ref! He called in to see about the parts and they don’t have the part to fix a side by side and that’ since it’s not a known issue they won’t fix my refrigerator and want me to pay a service fee!

Hmch09

Having the same issue with our Frigidaire French Door that we purchased in 2014. Found out today that it’s still under warranty, so called Lowe’s and they set up a date with a repair company. Repair company called me to let me know that they needed to change the date because they were ordering the ice maker. I explained that the issue isn’t with the ice maker and told them I had a picture of the rust spot that I could send them. Sent it off and the scheduler called back saying she spoke to Fridigaire and they are well aware of the problem and are sending me the condensation/sweat kit. I told the scheduler about the info in this forum and how most people have said it’s just a bandaid for the problem. She agreed that it’s ridiculous for a four year old refrigerator to be having an issue like this.

Since our warranty will run out in September, I’ll be watching this ‘fix’ like a hawk to see if it works. Has anyone who had the repair put on it actually had luck with it? I’d be really interested to see some updates on repairs from a few years ago!

Osuwest75

Premium Member
After reading this blog I call Electrolux/Frigidaire support line and had repairman come out to look at my side by side. He said he has never heard of a side by side having the rust issue its only a know issue for French door models. After calling his tech line they wouldnt approve him repairing my side by side and they was not know repair! BS!!
I have seen several side by side on this blog so how many side by side owners have called the support line?

luv2skyski

Premium Member
Thanks so much for the information on this forum. My French door Frigidaire water dispenser stopped working last night and found the same as everyone else.

IMG_5176.jpg

Where the rust is was all covered in ice which was also enclosing the water lines. (Don't know why the image is sideways. Sorry.). Once I removed the ice this is what was underneath. Then thawed the water lines and water flowing again.

Called Frigidaire (1 (800) 374-4432) and the lady was very helpful. After looking up the serial number and verifying who I was, provided names and numbers of authorized repair facilities. One being the place I bought all our appliances.

We'll see how this plays out.
Sincerely, Dave.

Glenn MO

I too discovered my French Frigidaire has this problem this morning. I plan to call them as soon as I can. Have they done anything to help you on yours?
Glenn

luv2skyski

Premium Member
FWIW: The "Authorized Service Tech" came out today. Made his phone call and said the parts will be shipped to my house within 5-10 days. Call him when that happens and he'll come back out and do the repair. All covered except initial service call - $79. Basically said replacing the ice maker (or changing out some ice maker parts) and putting a piece of foam (3" thick or so) on the back panel.
Sincerely, Dave.

luv2skyski

Premium Member
Another FWIW: Tech came out on Tuesday and replaced the parts behind the ice maker and put the foam on the back. Took him about 2 hours. I'd already had the fridge cleaned out. Left everything in the bottom freezer - I figured he wouldn't need to open it and he didn't. No more charges. Sincerely, Dave.

asifca

Ice buildup at the back of the FPHB2899LF8

I just found out I have the same issue...the photo looks almost the same as mine. Did you receive a reply regarding the issue or did you get it repaired?

Thank you
I have same problem and called Electrolux customer service. They refuse to fix the problem under warranty and ask me to book a tech visit and after diagnosing the problem Tech should call the Electrolux to buy the parts to fix the issue. In another words we have to pay for the service plus the parts and Electrolux still make money even this problem is a design issue.

sophocles

Premium Member
does anybody know how effective the foam pad is at actually fixing the problem? the tech who visited me indicated that the back of the cabinet still rusts out, that the wet sponge trapped in an area with no air circulation will create a mildew issue, and additionally my wife is concerned that the foam is going to leach toxic stuff into the air even if things work perfectly.

sophocles

Premium Member
best i know, they are. i've been told that the repair is some minor internals plus a big foam pad to glue on the back. am traveling so cannot update you on the installation process.

Kmartin

I wanted to provide an update on the rust n icemaker issue for the Frigidaire Gallery Series refrigerators. I contacted an authorized repair facility n they came out, i paid the diagnostic fee of $75 and they ordered the fix for the rust, insulation for the icemaker up top and also discovered there's a recall for the air handler n ordered the new air handler. The items came in a few days, then they came back out to install them FREE of charge. If you are experiencing this issue hurry up and get an authorized Frigidaire repairman out so you can get your unit fixed before they stop providing this service. Also, i unplugged my unit n thawed out the back n ice makers and they began to work again, they had both stopped working and i had about a 2 inch thick piece of ice stuck to the back covering a rust spot. Thanks everyone in this blog because without it i wouldn't have known about the recall.

Status
Not open for further replies.