FIXED FGHB2844LF5 Rust on back of Frigidaire Refrigerator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, your correct. Draymc48 mentioned this as well:
All,

They have updated this repair. If there's condensation on the rear panel and the drain line is not frozen, need to install air handler kit #5303918784 along with the insulation pad. They've updated the air handler that does away with all those gaskets! Hope this helps some
Glad to hear they got it fixed for you.:)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

sophocles

Premium Member
I've seen this issue quite a number of times. I do warranty work for Frigidaire and they send us a kit that consists of a sheet of armacell insulation, clear caulk, and a flex tray gasket kit. There's instructions included in this kit but basically put insulation on the rear panel, deice drain line for ice maker and replace gasketing. We do them quite often and is cover outside of manufacturers warranty. Have to have an approved vendor call and they'll ship the parts and pay for the labor.
I just had the job done. It takes an experienced tech close to two hours, including some tricky positioning of fasteners, less-than-perfect instructions, etc. It will be interesting to see whether the refrigerator performs properly for a reasonable number of years. total cost to me: $99 for the service visit.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I just had the job done. It takes an experienced tech close to two hours, including some tricky positioning of fasteners, less-than-perfect instructions, etc. It will be interesting to see whether the refrigerator performs properly for a reasonable number of years. total cost to me: $99 for the service visit.
Sounds good, yes I'm interested too if this is a long term fix as well, please come back to update us from time to time and let us know how its doing.:)

Jake

sophocles

Premium Member
Sounds good, yes I'm interested too if this is a long term fix as well, please come back to update us from time to time and let us know how its doing.:)

Jake
fwiw, the foam pad adds about 1.5 inches to the depth of the unit. may i request you send a reminder to me in abut 6 months or a year to post an update? i am likely to forget. thanks,

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You bet!

Jake

jeff_c

Premium Member
Hi all, thanks for keeping this thread going, we just found our spot today (attached). We emptied the ice maker last night for a small dinner party and when we checked it this morning, there wasn't any new ice. So, I pulled out the fridge (Frigidaire Gallery - Model - FGHB2866PF3) to recycle the power, and found the rust spot.

I tried calling the number in a previous post, but they are closed on the weekend. So, I'll try again on Monday. More to follow.

v/r

Jeff

Fridge Rust.jpg

jeff_c

Premium Member
Update - I called the Frigidaire number (800-374-4432) - thanks @luv2skyski. They took my model and serial number and said they would send out a service tech. The service call would cost $89.00, and if the service tech found that this is the same issue everyone else is having, they would apply the same fix. They are scheduled to come out this Friday (3 May). More to follow.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds good Jeff, yes keep us posted.

Jake

jeff_c

Premium Member
Update

Ok, so the repairman came out (on the 10th of May), took a look at the back, took the model number and serial number down, and took a couple of photos of the back, and said that the manufacture would be getting with me within 10 days.

On the 16th of May, last Thursday, I get an email from Electrolux stating that the repair kit is no longer available and that they would like to offer me a rebate on a new refrigerator. I ask how much the rebate is and what the process is. The response was a 20% rebate. I'm pretty sure I can do better than that on a Memorial Day sale.

Thoughts?

v/r

Jeff

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You gotta be kidding me? 20%???? iS THIS A JOKE?

You can do much better than that, May is Maytag Month, you will save much more than 20% plus the discount you will get with the Annual Memorial Day Sales, which have already started.:)

Jake

jeff_c

Premium Member
Electrolux fail

You gotta be kidding me? 20%???? iS THIS A JOKE?

You can do much better than that, May is Maytag Month, you will save much more than 20% plus the discount you will get with the Annual Memorial Day Sales, which have already started.:)

Jake
Agreed - I shot back with the following note -

-------- note -----------
Hmm, so let me get this right, you sell me a refrigerator with engineering flaws that cause the back to rust, potentially also damaging the wall it's up against and the floor its sitting on. Then when I find it, and can no longer use the ice maker because of it, you had provided a repair kit - but now you do not. The only recourse I have is to get a rebate from you that is about the same amount off of a new refrigerator that I could get on a Memorial Day sale - and only use it on your line of refrigerators? After finding that you won't fix the one I have?

I think you owe me a replacement refrigerator. 20% is ridiculous. Except for your engineering defect, I would have been able to continue to use this refrigerator for at least another 10 years. 20% does not even begin to cover 10 years.
-------- note -----------

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

jeff_c

Premium Member
Thanks Jake - any thoughts on LG? We're looking at one of those as a replacement. Also, I ended up calling up Electrolux customer service and immediately asked for a supervisor. I was handed off to a "Corporate Supervisor", who said "we're sorry for the problems you're having, but the current offer is 20%, which is good for 30 days." So, I asked to speak to her supervisor. She said her supervisor would call me back in 1-2 business days. We'll see. I don't think I'll end up getting anything back from them.

v/r

Jeff

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
We tell folks to avoid LG, Samsung, GE, Frigidaire.

We recommend Whirlpool, Maytag, KitchenAid, Amana.

When I was a kid I remember my parents having a Avocado Whirlpool refrigerator and Avocado Whirlpool washer, and a harvest wheat Maytag Dryer and never once saw a repairman come out.:)

I have always owned Whirlpool and Maytag brand appliances in my house and not a single problem.:)

Jake

CCS

I have the exact same issue with damage on my wall. Contacted Frigidaire today and they said same.... you can buy a new unit and there are manufacturer's rebates available or use it without the water dispenser/ice maker connected. So, basically ..."go ahead keep using it, even though it's not in the condition or to the fullest purpose for which you purchased it, and we know it's a problem but we aren't going to do anything about it.",.... thanks a lot Frigidaire, won't be buying another one.

Gerry Leo

Same problem. We bought a Electrolux fridge from Lowes in April 2013. 2 weeks ago saw some water on the manufactured wood floor. Pulled out the fridge and there was rust penetrating through the upper part of the back panel. I called 2 repair companies, the second was an authorized Electrolux repair company.
I was told that this is a common problem caused by a design defect. Something about there not being enough insulation behind the ice maker. Electrolux didcontinued sending the repair kits in April. Apparently they provided only a temporary fix. (According to repairman). He said that the only solution was to buy a new fridge. Sent a report in to Electrolux. They sent me a written reply offering 10% back on the cost of a new fridge provided it was made by Frigidaire and provided it cost less than what I paid for the old fridge. This after I paid $250 for 2 service calls . I called customer service at Lowe’s corporate and asked them to intervene with Frigidaire but no luck.
I am not expecting Frigidaire to pay for the full cost of a new fridge but 10% is rediculous. Shows how little regard they have for the folks who buy their stuff.
Shame on Frigidaire, used to be a good company and shame on Lowes for not standing up for their customers.

Last edited:

ercriss

Premium Member
I will gladly disconnect the ice maker to get out of this ratrace and gain additional fridge space.

The last time I melted the frost on the interior behind the icemaker, I just left the ice maker out for about a week. We also had the icemaker turned off with the control panel in the door. Nevertheless the frost is coming back. How can one fully remove/disable the icemaker to the point refrigerant no longer passes through the ice maker system causing frost build up.

Acme

Same problem. We bought a Electrolux fridge from Lowes in April 2013. 2 weeks ago saw some water on the manufactured wood floor. Pulled out the fridge and there was rust penetrating through the upper part of the back panel. I called 2 repair companies, the second was an authorized Electrolux repair company.
I was told that this is a common problem caused by a design defect. Something about there not being enough insulation behind the ice maker. Electrolux didcontinued sending the repair kits in April. Apparently they provided only a temporary fix. (According to repairman). He said that the only solution was to buy a new fridge. Sent a report in to Electrolux. They sent me a written reply offering 10% back on the cost of a new fridge provided it was made by Frigidaire and provided it cost less than what I paid for the old fridge. This after I paid $250 for 2 service calls . I called customer service at Lowe’s corporate and asked them to intervene with Frigidaire but no luck.
I am not expecting Frigidaire to pay for the full cost of a new fridge but 10% is rediculous. Shows how little regard they have for the folks who buy their stuff.
Shame on Frigidaire, used to be a good company and shame on Lowes for not standing up for their customers.
We have exact same situation. I was told that the repair kits are no longer being used. Would have to pay for service call to see if it could be repaired. Received a letter — not even the courtesy of a phone call — saying would give 10% discount on purchase of new refrigerator. See attached photo of issue and letter received. Frigidaire should be ashamed!

Attachments

iron1

Premium Member
Ok,

just got the final answer on our problem with the rust spot, after many phone calls to Frigidare and they acted like they did not know about this problem. I told them I had a repair man tell me over the phone I needed the repair kit for the back of fridge Frigidare told me I needed to have a authorized repairman come out and call a phone number while he was inspecting problem. I told frigidare I did not want to pay the 80 dollar service call if there wouldn't be any possibility of a repair, the lady assured me they would order kit but had to be ordered through the proper channels. I set up appointment the guy called Fridgidare that's when they said they no longer will send out that part and someone would call me within 8 days to tell me the remedy. I paid the 80 dollar service call and 6 days later I got a letter saying I would get a 10 percent rebate on brand new appliance but only if I filled out a bunch of paper work and did it in the next 3 weeks. The fridge is 1,800 dollars so rebate is 180, I paid 80 for the service call. my fridge is only 6 years old and replaced the 300 dollar compressor 2 years ago Are you kidding me??? At least give me a bit more time to purchase this thing and give me a rebate that covers a bit more, thinking no less then 30 percent

I have 4 Fridgidare Gallery appliances, may never buy from them again

Jo Se

Same problem here. Had Lowe's 3 year warranty, on Frigidaire bought 4 years ago. But, never pulled refrigerator out since installation. Past weekend, did so to clean behind and found huge rust circle with obvious liquid flowing to floor over long periods leaving calcium trails.

So many customers report that Lowes and Frigidaire are giving customers the "Brother Finger" on this problem, that I wrote the Lowe's CEO.

I am old enough to remember hundreds of companies that have gone out of business soon after they began treating customers or employees poorly. We have bought many appliances from Lowes during the 55 years and over 5 homes we have had. Other brands and other retailers are going to receive our business (including on new construction home for retirement). Our children will be educated so that they and their friends will make informed purchase decisions.

We blame Lowe's more than the manufacturer. If retailers (especially car) forced manufacturers to do the right things, they would receive our loyalty.

Lowes reported contact information:

Primary Contact
Ronda Harlow
Director Executive Customer Relations
1000 Lowe’s Boulevard
Mooresville, NC 28117
Ronda.harlow@lowes.com
Secondary Contact
Vincent Scalese
Senior Vice President, Store Operations
1000 Lowe’s Boulevard
Mooresville, NC 28117