FIXED FGHB2866PF0 Refrigerator bottom vents freezing over

Jerryt

Premium Member
Model Number
FGHB2866PF0
Brand
Frigidaire
Hi I have a frigidaire gallery refrigerator. I am having problems with the bottom vents freezing over. Then the refrigerator warms up. I have tried using a portable steamer to open up vents. That works for a little while. I have also taken out the damper and it seems like the fridge stays colder. I put damper back in and in a week it started warming up. My question is do I replace the damper and or take out and see how it goes or test the thermistor
Thanks
Jerryt

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Jerry, its best to manually ohm test the fresh food thermistor.

Place the thermistor is a small glass and fill it with crushed ice. Add enough water to cover the thermistor. This should bring the temperature of the thermistor very close to 32*F-33*F. At 33*F the thermistor should measure 31,658 ohms. At 32*F the thermistor should measure 32,566 ohms (+ or - 2%). Your thermistor should be between 31.6K and 32.5K ohms.

Here's the thermistor for your model you can order, if yours ohm tests bad:
Thermistor 240597203

Here's the video to access/replace both of them:

Jake

Jerryt

Premium Member
Thanks Jake. I was leaning towards thermistor. I took damper out and now refrigerator is cooling down. Will test thermistor and let you know
Thanks
Jerry

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Jerry, sounds good.

Jake

Jerryt

Premium Member
Ok I replaced the thermistor and while doing so the temperature got 78 degrees. I closed everything and plugged the fridge back in and in about 20 hours it dropped to 60 degrees. Just how long does it take to drop to 33 degrees? Two days maybe? Should I take out the damper and inspect to see if it’s opening?
Thanks
Jerry

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Jerryt

Premium Member
Thanks Jake. I took out all the shelves damper and back panel. I used my portable steamer and cleaned out both vents and middle vent that feeds the back panel vents. I als hooked up damper just to see if it moves and it open and closed. So I put everything back in. The temperature went up to 20 degrees freezer and 81 refrigerator. In a hour it dropped the fridge to 71 degrees. Hopefully it’s going in the right direction. I also steam cleaned all the vents on the back. Will keep you informed.
Thanks
Jerry

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Jerry this is very odd situation, I really don't know what's causing this problem.

Its best to have Frigidaire come out to see what's going on.

Jake

Jerryt

Premium Member
Hi Jake I’m thing to figure it out also. I have narrowed it down to blockage somewhere between freezer to refrigerator. There is a main vent from the freezer to the refrigerator. When the damper is open the flow of air is a low. You can’t feel it come out the vents in the back of fridge. In videos I have seen there is vent connecting the freezer to fridge. I am going to use a portable steamer to see if I can unblock this vent. Does this sound correct.? Something is blocking air. Damper opens and closes. New thermistor which controls damper. Air is coming out of freezer so can works. Sounds right?
Thanks
Jerry

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
If I was you, I'd move all your food to another refrigerator/freezer or ice chest and unplug the refrigerator for 24 hours with the doors open and let all your air ducts thaw out.

I would not keep using stream, that's adding more humidity and moisture to the situation. Use a heat gun or hair dryer.

Jake

Jerryt

Premium Member
On the side vents that kept freezing I used a hair dryer. That works for a little while. I used steam to knock out ice. Actually before I use steam or hair dryer I am going to see if I can see if it’s blocked using like s stiff wire.
Thanks
Jerry

Jerryt

Premium Member
Hi Jake. Well I took your advice and used a hairdryer. I also looked in the freezer and saw frost build up around fan housing. So I used dry air and got lots of airflow. In three hours it dropped to 0 for the freezer and 33 for the fridge. Hopefully it continues to work.
Thanks
Jerry

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Jerry, sounds good, make sure your doors are closing tight because that's how the vents build up condensation and frost up.

Jake

Jerryt

Premium Member
Hi everyone I had a few problems with my fridge and want to share you my thoughts. I was having a problem with wild temperatures swings. I cleaned out vents with a hair dryer in order to get more flow from the freezer. In doing so I noticed air exiting between the gasket and bottom freezer door. I changed the gasket and within two hours the temperature stabilized. Also I noticed frost building up on rear wall of freezer. This was caused by warm air and cold air mixing and freezing. This also caused the fan to either freeze or fan slowing down. Just my experienc.
thanks
Jerry

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yuppers Jerry, that's what happens when you have a air gap in the door gasket, that's why I mentioned above to make sure the doors were closing tight. Glad to hear the new door gasket fixed it. (y)

Thanks for the update!

Here's the freezer door gasket for your model in case others need it too:
5304501270 Gasket

Jake