• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED FGHB2866PF6 Frigidaire Refrigerator whine unlike anything I can find online...

toyoid

Premium Member
Model Number
FGHB2866PF6
Brand
Frigidaire
Here's a short video I made where you can hear the whine. It's not constant and usually only comes on late in the evening.

The model is a Frigidaire Model No FGHB2866PF6.

I've ruled out the ice maker and water filter. There is not an evaporator fan motor inside the fridge, so it has to be in the freezer compartment. I did take apart everything in the fridge compartment to figure that out. I could also feel the air being blow in, so I know the evaporator motor fan blade is not frozen or hitting ice. The sound does get louder when I open the refrigerator door so I think it does have to do with the evaporator and its parts. Could it be the coolant inside the evaporator?

It could be the condenser fan motor but it doesn't sound like a squeeky bearing noise.

I don't get any noise or issues when I get water water from the fridge door, so it seems unlikely to be a water solenoid valve. The ice maker is off and has always been off because it leaks.

I guess it could be the compressor, but it's not a death rattle sound and can't find anything like it on youtube.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
It does sound like a fan motor noise and if the noise is louder there than in the freezer section, the fan in the ice container unit might be responsible.

LINK > Ice Container Fan

Dan O.

toyoid

Premium Member
It does sound like a fan motor noise and if the noise is louder there than in the freezer section, the fan in the ice container unit might be responsible.

It's a good guess, but I don't think that's it. I can open up the ice container area and see the fan spinning and I can tell there's no noise coming from it.

toyoid

Premium Member
Is the sound louder in the freezer compartment?

Dan O.
I don't know, but I'll check next time it happens.
I haven't heard the sound since I cleaned out my fridge and removed the damper assembly (unplugged and pushed it open with my finger) to investigate. Also cleaned the compressor coils at the back of the fridge really well with compressed air. It's only been a day so I can't say that the sound is gone since it was intermittent to begin with.

toyoid

Premium Member
Is the sound louder in the freezer compartment?

It is not coming from the freezer compartment. It seems to be coming from the ice cube compartment which is located in the fridge. I took out cover with the corkscrew-thing and it does seem to be the loudest from inside that compartment. The fan was not spinning. I was going to flick the fan with a butter knife but the sound stopped.

I did tap the stopped fan with a butter knife and it does seem to spin freely. Then the fan actually went on and started spinning ... no noise other than an expected quiet hum from the fan. Also, just to reiterate, the ice cube function is off and there's no ice or frost visible anywhere in the compartment.

Last edited:

toyoid

Premium Member

When I test option 38 Variable Capacity Compressor (VCC) in diagnostics mode, the sound slowly starts up. It doesn't seem like it's the actual compressor, rather a noise coming from inside the ice maker evaporator. When I tested that fan, the sound was not reproducible.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
a noise coming from inside the ice maker evaporator.

The refrigerant can make sounds when expanding in the evaporator.

This link is pertinent to this reply. It was supplied by this message author. Please peruse it.

LINK > Appliance411: FAQ: My refrigerator is making strange sounds. What is wrong with it?

I've never heard it make a sound like in your recording but might be possible with a VCC compressor. If it is that, there's nothing I know of you can likely do about it. It would need a trained refrigeration technician to investigate further. Being a Frigidaire refrigerator, I suggest a *factory authorized* service depot as they should be most familiar with their anomalies.

Dan O.

toyoid

Premium Member
Just wanted to come back and provide an update for anyone else that has this problem. While I can't say that the problem is fixed, after I cleaned out the coils from behind the fridge, the sound has pretty much stopped or at least is a lot less frequent. I REALLY cleaned the coils by using a vacuum and compressed (canned) air to make sure it was dust free. The dust didn't seem that bad and I've definitely cleaned them before, but it had probably been at least a year or more since I had cleaned them really good.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
after I cleaned out the coils from behind the fridge, the sound has pretty much stopped

We'll keep out fingers crossed. Thanks for the update.

I REALLY cleaned the coils by using a vacuum and compressed (canned) air to make sure it was dust free.

Often a coating will be pretty firmly attached to the condenser coils and just vacuuming often isn't nearly enough. Many manufacturers recommend the use of a stiff bristle brush prior to vacuuming or blowing. JFYI

This link is pertinent to this reply. It was supplied by this message author.

LINK > Condenser Cleaning Brush L304433062

Frequent cleaning helps.

Dan O.

Tmo

Premium Member
Toyoid, or anyone else, can I ask two questions.
  1. How do you go about cleaning the condenser coils?
  2. My ice maker recently stopped working for no apparent reason. Water supply is good, and I tried the defrost option by holding down the plus and minus buttons simultaneously, but that did not help. Any ideas?

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
How do you go about cleaning the condenser coils?

That will depend on how whatever refrigerator model you have was designed. You can get a rough idea how it might be done in the video at the following link:

LINK > Refrigerator Maintenance Tips

My ice maker recently stopped working for no apparent reason. Water supply is good, and I tried the defrost option by holding down the plus and minus buttons simultaneously, but that did not help. Any ideas?

Please start a new message thread of your own for this topic and include the brand name and exact model number of the appliance involved and someone will try to assist you there. Adding to messages dealing with other issues causes confusion.

Dan O.

toyoid

Premium Member
Toyoid, or anyone else, can I ask two questions.
  1. How do you go about cleaning the condenser coils?
  2. My ice maker recently stopped working for no apparent reason. Water supply is good, and I tried the defrost option by holding down the plus and minus buttons simultaneously, but that did not help. Any ideas?

To clean my coils, I used canned air, like you would use to clean an office keyboard. I sprayed that in the nooks and crannies while holding a vacuum hose up to the area to suck in all the dust.

It still squeals after cleaning the coils, but it does seem to be less frequent. Now I'm wondering if it would make any difference if I removed and left off the thin cardboard cover; my guess is the coils would stay cooler, which might make the squealing go away. Just a thought.

No idea on the ice maker. Good luck.

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.