• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FGHB2866PFGA Frigidaire Gallery Refrigerator squealing noise

mcambridge

Model Number
FGHB2866PFGA
Brand
Frigidaire
  1. Electrolux Home Products
  2. Frigidaire Gallery Refrigerator
  3. Model FGHB2866PFGA
For the past year, my refrigerator has been been making a squealing/grinding noise. This can last 30 mins to an hour when it occurs. It will sometimes occur 2x/day for days on end and then some days not at all. There's some alignment to it occurring when the compressor is running but hard to tell. I thought it had to do with the ice machine knowing so many of these machines have issues but my ice maker has been turned off for 6 months, it still occurs.

I've had 2 appliance companies come out and one replaced the condenser fan motor. This did not resolve the issue as it happened again prior to the tech leaving (this has been one of the problems, getting a tech there when the noise is occurring). Now, the hypothesis is a bad damper?

Any advice? Anyone had this issue and found resolution? With a newborn at home, this noise has to go.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Tmo

Premium Member
  3. Model FGHB2866PFGA
For the past year, my refrigerator has been been making a squealing/grinding noise. This can last 30 mins to an hour when it occurs. It will sometimes occur 2x/day for days on end and then some days not at all. There's some alignment to it occurring when the compressor is running but hard to tell. I thought it had to do with the ice machine knowing so many of these machines have issues but my ice maker has been turned off for 6 months, it still occurs.

I've had 2 appliance companies come out and one replaced the condenser fan motor. This did not resolve the issue as it happened again prior to the tech leaving (this has been one of the problems, getting a tech there when the noise is occurring). Now, the hypothesis is a bad damper?

Any advice? Anyone had this issue and found resolution? With a newborn at home, this noise has to go.

View attachment 59907
Hello, did you ever find out of the damper fixed your problem. I have the same make and model doing the exact same thing. It sounds like the noise is coming from behind the icemaker, but I I have taken it apart several times and replaced things without fixing the strange noise. Never thought about considering the damper because the location is a distance away from the icemaker, but willing to give it a try. Cheers

Tmo

Premium Member
Yes, the damper was my first thought too.

Here's the air-damper for your model:
Damper Control Assembly 241518501

Here's the video to access/replace it: Frigidaire Refrigerator Damper Control Assembly Video

When its making that noise remove the damper cover, per the video, to verify its coming from there first, and you can also remove the electrical connector from it and see if the noise stops.

Jake
Thanks for the info, I have the same make and model as mcambridge and my fridge has been doing the exact same thing for a few years now. It sounds like the noise is coming from behind the icemaker, but I have taken that portion apart several times and replaced things without fixing the strange noise. Never thought about considering the damper because the location is a distance away from the icemaker, but willing to give it a try. Any thoughts? Cheers.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Try this on yours too--->When its making that noise remove the damper cover, per the video, to verify its coming from there first, and you can also remove the electrical connector from it and see if the noise stops.

Jake

Tmo

Premium Member
Thank you for the advice. It has not made the noise in a few months, but will do as you say when it starts doing it again. Out of curiosity, what does the damper do anyway?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Out of curiosity, what does the damper do anyway?
It opens and closes a small little door in it to control the air flow through the refrigerator, per the temperature control thermistor to keep temperatures stable and constant.

Jake

toyoid

Premium Member
Here's a short video I made where you can hear the whine. It's not constant and usually only comes on late in the evening.

The model is a Frigidaire Model No FGHB2866PF6.

toyoid

Premium Member
Thank you for the advice. It has not made the noise in a few months, but will do as you say when it starts doing it again. Out of curiosity, what does the damper do anyway?
Tmo, did you ever fix the issue?

Tmo

Premium Member
Hello, no I have not fixed it yet because a new damper is more than $130. I am not sure what happens if you don't fix it. The noise is annoying, but long term damage? I don't know.

toyoid

Premium Member
  3. Model FGHB2866PFGA

View attachment 59907
Any update on this mcambridge? Did you identify for fix the issue? I'm having the same issue.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Here's a short video I made where you can hear the whine. It's not constant and usually only comes on late in the evening.

The model is a Frigidaire Model No FGHB2866PF6.
Here's the air-damper for your model:
Damper Control Assembly 241518501

Here's the video to access/replace it: Frigidaire Refrigerator Damper Control Assembly Video

When its making that noise remove the damper cover, per the video, to verify its coming from there first, and you can also remove the electrical connector from it and see if the noise stops.

Jake

Your model uses that exact same air damper.

Jake

toyoid

Premium Member
Just wanted to come back and provide an update for anyone else that has this problem. While I can't say that the problem is fixed, after I cleaned out the coils from behind the fridge, the sound has pretty much stopped or at least is a lot less frequent. I REALLY cleaned the coils by using a vacuum and compressed (canned) air to make sure it was dust free. The dust didn't seem that bad and I've definitely cleaned them before, but it had probably been at least a year or more since I had cleaned them really good.

Tmo

Premium Member
Interesting, I never thought of doing that. I purchased a new damper on ebay for $119 and have not had the time to install it yet. I will try your method and wait. Let me know if the noise comes back. Thanks for the update.

toyoid

Premium Member
Interesting, I never thought of doing that. I purchased a new damper on ebay for $119 and have not had the time to install it yet. I will try your method and wait. Let me know if the noise comes back. Thanks for the update.
I think I proved to myself that it definitely wasn't the damper. You can see what I wrote in the thread that I started recently.

When I tested option 38 Variable Capacity Compressor (VCC) in diagnostics mode, the sound slowly starts up. It doesn't seem like it's the actual compressor, rather a noise coming from inside the ice maker evaporator. When I tested that fan, the sound was not reproducible.

To get to the diagnostics mode, just push the up and down arrow at the same time and hold for 10 seconds. Then scroll through until you get to number 38, and you can press the + and - to turn the VCC on and off.

Attachments

• Diagnostics.PNG
    Diagnostics.PNG
    986.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Tmo

Premium Member
I thought it was something behind the ice maker for a long time. However, I took it apart more than once; replaced seals, check the fan, motor, defrosted, and all was good. I even purchased some after market items to try and stop the ice build up behind the cover. That was a pain to install. In every case, the noise continued to come back leading me to believe it is not something to do with the mechanics behind the ice maker. But I am not an appliance repair person. Just a figure it out and fix it kind of guy.

toyoid

Premium Member
I think you're right in thinking it's coming from behind the ice maker. My conclusion was that the sound is coming from the evaporator (linked below) in the ice maker compartment, which is powered by the VCC. I'm not an appliance repair guy either, so I'm guessing it's just the movement of the refrigerant inside the evaporator that's causing the sound and not necessarily a defect that can be fixed by replacing the part. If I had to speculate, maybe it just wasn't 100% fully charged or didn't have all the air burped out at the factory, but regardless, cleaning the coils seems to reduce the occurrence of the sound.

Evaporator 242094603

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.