FGHC2331PF0 Frigidaire side-by-side damper door problem, how to fix it?

will8180

Premium Member
Model Number
FGHC2331PF0
Brand
Frigidaire
Frigidaire side-by-side model #: FGHC2331PF0
We had a power outage. The refigerator was hooked up to a defiant surge protector, but cannot be sure how old it is (it is at least 4 years old). The refigerator initially worked fine, but then the fridge side started to warm up to 40 and then 45 (it is set on 37). The freezer worked normally and showed a temp of 0 degrees (what it was set at). I verified that the coils were not excessively frosted, both fans were working, the heating element worked.
The damper door however was closed and I could not get it to open. So I turned the fridge off, and turned it back on. I saw the damper door move and open. This time the damper door remained open. The refigerator then got very cold (down to 23 degrees.). The damper door would not close. I then got a hair dryer and towel to try and soak up any moisture from the damper door area. But still the damper door would not close. I again reset the refigerator, and again saw the damper door make some movements, but it remained in the open position.
What should be my next step? A technician I was talking with suggested that replacing the control board may work, but it may be better choice to just replace the refigerator. I do have a multimeter. The damper door assembly itself is $180 and it may not fix my problem. The fridge itself was a floor model that we got for $1500.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Will,

Its best to manually ohm test the fresh food thermistor, that thermistor sends information to the control board and tells the damper to open or close per your temperature in the fresh food section.

Place the thermistor is a small glass and fill it with crushed ice. Add enough water to cover the thermistor. This should bring the temperature of the thermistor very close to 32*F-33*F. At 33*F the thermistor should measure 31,658 ohms. At 32*F the thermistor should measure 32,566 ohms (+ or - 2%). Your thermistor should be between 31.6K and 32.5K ohms.

Here's the thermistor for your model you can order, if yours ohm tests bad:
Thermistor 240597203

Your fresh food thermistor is #22 here:

Its located behind the thermistor cover #23 which should be located on your inner wall, you will have to remove that #58 screw first.

Jake

will8180

Premium Member
Thank you for your reply. I tested the thermistor in crushed ice and it came out reading between the 2 values you stated. What do you think I should look at next?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, then that indicates you will need to replace the main control board.

Here's the main control board for your model you can order:
Main Control Board 5304498781

Its located the front of your refrigerator, here's a video below of a similar one at the same place:

Let us know how it goes.

Jake