• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED FGHD2433KF1 Frigidaire Dishwasher Circulation Pump not running or failed controller?

jcroft

Premium Member
Model Number
FGHD2433KF1
Brand
Frigidaire
Panel does not show any errors.
Tried starting a normal wash cycle.
Water fills but does not circulate at all and pump is totally silent as counter counts down.
Cleaned out filter and impeller seems to rotate fine.
Checked power to pump - shows 120V
Heating element comes on but water doesn't seem high enough to come into contact with it anyway.
Tried putting more water in to level of overflow valve but didn't seem to help.
Pressing cancel causes water to be pumped out fine.

My first inclination is to replace the circulation pump but it seems like there should have been more noise and or something. Are there better ways to test the motor without removing it first? Do I need to short something on the 3 wire connector?

My wife seems to think the last thing she did was stop the washer just as it was entering the dry cycle. Could there be a failed thermostat?

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

Sounds like new wash pump time...

Circulation-Pump-154844101-01096443.jpg LINK> Dishwasher circulation pump motor kit

jeff.

jcroft

Premium Member
Replaced the pump but it has not fixed the problem. It just doesn't come on at all when it's expected to. Guess I'm going to look for bad components on the control board now.

jeff1

Staff member

Replaced the pump but it has not fixed the problem. It just doesn't come on at all when it's expected to.

Doesn't come on at all?
Still showing power to it.
If the new one is doing exactly the same as the old one, send it back for sure and try the control...

Main-Control-Board-154815601-01211876.jpg LINK> Main Control Board

jeff.

jcroft

Premium Member
Where is the thermostat that reads the water temp? If that is not working then would I get this same result of the motor not coming on? Or would I get an "HO" on the display if it is failing to heat the water.

What about the high limit thermistor?

jcroft

Premium Member
I looked at the board and at least visually it is not burnt, all connectors look fine, all capacitors appear normal and there is no moisture present.

jeff1

Staff member
Where is the thermostat that reads the water temp?

High limit thermostat is under the unit, usually clipped to the liner underneath...

R0909115-00003.jpg #29

High limit usually just prevents the element from getting too hot.
Often the turbidity sensor checks water condition and temps.

R0909115-00004.jpg #71

If that is not working then would I get this same result of the motor not coming on?

Normally no, this prevents the unit from advancing until the water was hot enough but the motor still runs.

Or would I get an "HO" on the display if it is failing to heat the water.

A copy: HO or Hd Water heating delay

Would display that when the d/w was heating the water and not advancing.

jeff.

jcroft

Premium Member
Looking into some other things before I order another control board.

I'm trying this procedure on the Turbidity Sensor:
"To check to see if the sensor is working properly, start the dishwasher in the Normal cycle, then look for a sensor light to light up on the control panel. If no light is illuminated, look at the plug on the sensor to ensure that it is plugged in. After the dishwasher has completed a wash and rinse cycle, and has filled up again with clean water, look to make sure the time clock on the control panel is counting down. If not, turn the power off to the dishwasher to make it go into the power failure mode. Then, press and hold the upper rack and start cancel pad. If any numbers come on in the display area, this means the sensor is good. If there is no display of numbers or just blank, then the sensor is bad."

So I started the cycle and let it fill with water.
Display shows "washing" 99 and a little plus symbol. The little plus symbol went out after a few seconds or so after filling was complete. (Not sure if this an indicator for the 'sensor light' on the control panel)
Then I cycled the power at the circuit breaker.
Came back to a PF blinking display.

I tried holding the Top Rack and Start Cancel buttons but the display continued to just show a blinking PF.

I then pressed Top Rack and Start separately and it started up as if on a Top Rack cycle (display showed 47) and the washer started to fill again. I'm pretty sure that is not the same thing as pressing and holding both.

So, thoughts? Is this a failure that would prevent the motor starting or am I going down the wrong path.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
turn the power off to the dishwasher to make it go into the power failure mode. Then, press and hold the upper rack and start cancel pad. If any numbers come on in the display area, this means the sensor is good. If there is no display of numbers or just blank, then the sensor is bad."
I tried holding the Top Rack and Start Cancel buttons but the display continued to just show a blinking PF.
That sounds to me like the control board is faulty.

Jake

jcroft

Premium Member
That sounds to me like the control board is faulty.

Jake

Eureka! I swapped out the board for a new one and everything appears to be back to normal. After pulling the old board out completely it does look like there are some darker areas on the back that may be heat or electrical surge related failure.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, good job.:)

Jake

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.