• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FGHF2344MF0 Frigidaire refrigerator leaking through back wall to outside and freezing into a block of ice.

larrywick

Premium Member
Model Number
FGHF2344MF0
Brand
Frigidaire
I was called to take a look at this refrigerator because the water dispenser wasn't dispensing water so when I pulled it away from the cabinets I discovered that all the tubing was encased in a block of ice per picture one ( I had already chipped away some ice before thinking of taking a picture so there was actually more covering all the tubing). I chipped away the ice block and let the tubing warm up and the water dispenser works without any evidence of leakage in the back. The metal of the back has rusted completely through and as you can see this has been a long-term process, for years I'm guessing. So I suggested to the owners that I put a piece of paper towel underneath the tubing and see if the leak shows when the ice maker calls for water. I had them dump out half the ice to hopefully promote the ice maker. I haven't heard back yet. However the puzzling thing is how could it be so cold on the back on the outside of the insulation that the water leak would actually freeze into a very solid block. I haven't pulled out the ice maker yet cuz I wanted to do a little research first but I thought I would post this and get some feedback to see if anyone else has ever seen this. I mean the water has to travel through I'm assuming the plastic wall, unless the leak is where the tubing for the ice maker penetrates the wall, and then go through the foam insulation and rust through the steel to show up outside and then freeze, weird.

This is a bottom freezer unit with the icemaker in the top left corner of the refrigerator section.

Manufactured 8/11.

Attachments

• 0216221454.jpg
    0216221454.jpg
    341 KB · Views: 106
  • 0216221526.jpg
    0216221526.jpg
    362.6 KB · Views: 104

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Here's our main thread on this issue:

Jake

Ravenscraft

Premium Member
I have this exact same problem. Would this be a mechanical or structural issue with the refrigerator? I have a Sears warranty and they are telling me that my policy does not cover structural issues????

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Its a mechanical issue that caused the structural issue.

Jake

Ravenscraft

Premium Member
Its a mechanical issue that caused the structural issue.

Jake
Thank you! Warranty company is saying just a structural issue and saying they only cover mechanical issues ......Wonder how I should handle this.

daleykd

Premium Member
@Ravenscraft : After reading the multiple threads on here that deal with this issue, you may find that you're in for a world of fighting. I wish you the best of luck, man.

Luke Finley

Premium Member
Frigidaire used to offer a fix for this. They stopped a couple years ago. There is no official fix to this problem anymore. I've taken thicker pieces of Styrofoam and put it between the back of the fridge and the waterlines after thawing the ice, but it's a temporary fix only.