• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FGHN2866PF4A Damper not functioning + crazy control board

jimmylomax

Premium Member
Model Number
FGHN2866PF4A
Brand
Frigidaire
Received high refrigerator temp 24 hours ago (first time we've ever observed this). Freezer compartment seems to still be controlled well. Today I took out the damper and observed it closed. I unplugged it and plugged it in and it modulates for a second - maybe 20 degrees or so and then stops - I guess we'll call that working. when it moves I can feel the motor turning; when it no longer moves I do not hear or feel and signs of the motor trying to rotate. For now I've removed the damper from covering the supply air opening so as to get some heat transfer happening - I guess we'll get creative with partially blocking the port later tonight...

I'm comfortable with any tools, multimeter, etc.

quick backstory: This wretched refrigerator has had problems from when new which our local parts-changer repairman could not handle in 5 trips; after we got past my 12mos, Frigidaire and the company wrote me off. The initial "problem" was Relay #6 was quickly closing and opening constantly - the reason the wrote me off is the problem was quite intermittent. Throwing parts at things is fingernails on the chalkboard for me... I cannot tell from the wiring diagram what Relay #6 controls, but if I could figure out a way to know it was the damper circuit - I'm all for swapping out a new board. The parts-changer repairman was unable to procure the correct motherboard and get it to work all in the same trip. We were never able to observe what circuit was closing when we heard the relay switching before... with a WattMeter I estimated that circuit draws about 7W - I had assumed it was some sort of defrost control. I have some video I could upload showing what it was doing.

Any (constructive) advice would be gratefully appreciated!

20180109_210729.jpg

jimmylomax

Premium Member
I just found the diagnostic tests shown on the wiring diagram - I tested the damper motor and it seems to close well enough, but will not reliably open. I'll hopefully find the part in town in the AM and try it out - at this point I'm confident enough to pull the trigger.

I pulled the damper assembly out of the air distribution panel and reinstalled the access panel... hopefully I don't freeze my ol lady's milk overnight. I had originally just forced it open, but I'm too worried it will close on its own again - maybe the best thing is to jam something in there (that won't fall down into the evap fan) so it can be partly open. I'm guessing mostly blocking the return duct openings is a bad idea.

jimmylomax

Premium Member
new damper came in, slapped it in and tested via diagnostic mode and... it does exactly what the first one did. It seems to hunt as if getting conflicting open/close signals. I guess it's new control board time. If anyone has any other thoughts or tests to try I'd love to hear them - otherwise I guess I'll order up a new board tonight or tomorrow morning.

Edit: I went ahead and cropped a video I had taken which shows the suspect relay constantly closing and opening. https://www.dropbox.com/s/n3jrdi62dlogq9j/20180109_212252_crop%20and%20annotated.mp4?dl=0

[video]https://www.dropbox.com/s/n3jrdi62dlogq9j/20180109_212252_crop%20and%20annotated.mp4?dl=0[/video]

Last edited: