FGHS2344KF1 water dispenser randomly dispenses water

Yarak

Model Number
FGHS2344KF1
Brand
Frigidaire
Had a Tech out to look at the issue and they want $450.00 to repair it. That is more than we wish to spend when we normally just drink tap water anyway. Is this something I might be able to take on myself ? Or as an alternative is there a way to stop the flow of water to just the water dispenser and continue using the ice maker? I have searched for the answers to these questions to no avail. Any input ,links or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Yes, the problem is your dispenser module, seen this happen a few times on my service calls.

You'd need to LOCK the dispenser after each time you get ice, then that should keep it from randomly dispensing water on it own.

Here's the dispenser module for your model:
242074223 Module-Dispenser

Jake

Yarak

Hi,

Yes, the problem is your dispenser module, seen this happen a few times on my service calls.

You'd need to LOCK the dispenser after each time you get ice, then that should keep it from randomly dispensing water on it own.

Here's the dispenser module for your model:
242074223 Module-Dispenser

Jake
Thanks Jake.

You don't know how much time I have spent trying to find information on how to remedy this issue. Really appreciate your input. I will order that part and get it installed. I did try locking the panel after getting ice at lunch but it still dispensed water on it's own shortly afterwards with the panel on lock. Not sure if that makes a difference? Thanks again for your time!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Wait,

You may need the control board then.
Main Control Board 5303918498

When you LOCK the dispenser panel it should not give water, look at this link from another member his was doing the same thing and he LOCKED it and it stopped randomly dispensing water. And the dispenser module fixed it.

Now another member just last month was doing this same thing yours is doing, and the LOCK did NOT stop randomly dispensing water, and it was his control board that was bad.

What you could do is pull your refrigerator out from the wall, then remove the lower back access panel, then pull the wire connector off the YELLOW solenoid, that one just dispenses water, it shouldn't affect the ice maker.

Here's the water inlet valve for your model, see the YELLOW solenoid on the left, next to the green one on the right?

Jake

Yarak

Wait,

You may need the control board then.
Main Control Board 5303918498

When you LOCK the dispenser panel it should not give water, look at this link from another member his was doing the same thing and he LOCKED it and it stopped randomly dispensing water. And the dispenser module fixed it.

Now another member just last month was doing this same thing yours is doing, and the LOCK did NOT stop randomly dispensing water, and it was his control board that was bad.

What you could do is pull your refrigerator out from the wall, then remove the lower back access panel, then pull the wire connector off the YELLOW solenoid, that one just dispenses water, it shouldn't affect the ice maker.

Here's the water inlet valve for your model, see the YELLOW solenoid on the left, next to the green one on the right?

Jake
Once again thank you Jake, I went ahead and pulled the connector and that solved the problem. When I have a bit more time I will order the control board and try replacing that. Really appreciate your prompt replies and all the information! Really good of you.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, glad to hear that stopped the random water dispensing.:)

Thanks for the update!

I forgot to tell you to use black electrical tape to tape the electrical terminal ends you pulled off that water inlet valve dispenser solenoid while its disconnected, in case that electrical connector accidently touches something metal.

You don't want to hear sparks flying at 3AM in your kitchen.🎆

Jake