• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED FGHS2631PF Not Cooling properly

Zaptoman

Premium Member
Model Number
FGHS2631PF
Brand
Frigidaire
Hi there. Last night we came home and noticed the refrigerator (about 4 years old) was displaying some crazy temps. -21 on the freezer side and 54 on the refrigerator side. Fridge definitely felt warm, and I couldn't hear the compressor running. So I pulled it out from the wall, unplugged it and let it sit 2 minutes, then plugged it back in. Compressor started, display readouts immediately went back to 0 for freezer and 37 for fridge. Came back later. Compressor off again. Pulled the back panel, no ice on coils, cooling fan running. Unplugged again, plugged in, has been running ever since. But now the freezer temp is low again, fridge says 38. What's going on?

Last edited:

Zaptoman

Premium Member
*UPDATE*
So I pulled the back panel off the inside of the freezer tonight and lo and behold, the evaporator coils are just COVERED in ice/frost. So I'm guessing the defroster hasn't been running. Not sure what to do about that just yet, but I took a hair dryer and defrosted the coils. The original coils I had been looking at were the ones on the back/bottom of the fridge, by the compressor.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Ok, you will need to remove the lower back panel inside the freezer and ohm the defrost thermostat for continuity(0 ohms) WHILE ITS FROSTY while the refrigerator is unplugged.

Here's the defrost thermostat for your model:
5303918214 Defrost Thermostat

There is a video when you click the part link to the defrost thermostat, it shows where its at.

Watch this video: Defrost Thermostat Ohm Testing Video If it's frosty you don't need to remove it and put it in ice water to ohm test it.

If it has no quick disconnect, you will have to cut the wires and splice back the insulation a little, don't cut to close to the defrost thermostat itself as you will need 2 wire nuts to connect the spliced wires back together.

Jake

Zaptoman

Premium Member
Jake, thanks! The thermostat has no continuity. I've ordered the replacement unit you suggested. Should I reinstall the old and busted one or does it not make a difference?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
If you keep it running while you wait for the new defrost thermostat to arrive, just make sure you tape up the wire ends with black electrical tape first.

Let us know how it goes when you get it.

Jake

Zaptoman

Premium Member
So, I'm an idiot. I'm going to put this thing in, but I left the old thermostat in the freezer for about 20 mins, and it read fine (0 ohms)...

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, Now ohm test your defrost heater:
242044113 Heater-Defrost

Watch this video:

[video=youtube;311BiD76iYg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=311BiD76iYg[/video]

Jake

Zaptoman

Premium Member
Last night, after I installed the new thermostat (I HATE wire crimps, wanted to solder, but didn't see a way without ripping out the whole heating element), I ran maintenance test 26 and 2 on the fridge, testing the heating element. It heats up and melts the ice off. So I shut it back up and left it running, temps are good today. Should I still meter the heating element?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
No, if the element got hot, then its working.

(I HATE wire crimps, wanted to solder, but didn't see a way without ripping out the whole heating element)
I use 2 orange wire nuts, you can get them at any hardware store.:)

Jake

Zaptoman

Premium Member
Shows you how bad I wanted to get this working, I didn't even think of wire nuts!
Jake, thanks for your help, you were a lifesaver!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad to help.:)

Jake

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.