FGID2466QF5A Frigidaire DW behaving oddly after replacing water inlet valve

Triskal

Premium Member
Model Number
FGID2466QF5A
Brand
Frigidaire
Our DW stopped filling. The overflow cap moves freely and I tested the float switch with a multi-meter and it checked out ok. The inlet valve checks out OK electrically but I replaced it as it was indicated on another site that this was the most likely issue if the float switch is good. Plus the part was not expensive.

After replacing the inlet valve it would pull in some water but it does not seem to be running the cycle correctly. I will take several minutes after starting before it makes any sound at all. then it will bring in some water and then just sit there silently for some time. I opened it part of the way through the cycle and smelled a burning smell. the soap dispenser door had opened. I cancelled and it seemed to go through a normal cancellation - you could hear it running and draining the water.

I ran it again and let it complete the cycle. There was bits of soap all over everything and the dishes were not clean. My wife was nearby as it ran and said it did not make all the usual sounds. It was totally silent for several minutes at a time.

We ran a rinse cycle and that seemed to work OK.

Any thoughts?

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

You bought the correct valve?
Installed in the same place/position?
The hose did not get kinked during the install?
Make sure the float moves up and down freely.
Make sure the float switch is clicking ok.

frigidaire-valve-807047901-ap5948913_01_th.jpg Fill valve

jeff.

Triskal

Premium Member
I confirmed the model number and correct part number. Assuming the bag is labeled correctly then I bought and installed the correct part. The float switch moves freely and clicks when it moves. I checked and the hose is not kinked.

Just for kicks I turned the breaker off, waited a few seconds then turned it back on. Then I ran a quick wash while it was empty and it seemed to run OK. So then I put some dishes in and ran a normal wash with detergent and we will see what happens.

Triskal

Premium Member
Well the normal cycle finished. As before it drew in some water at the beginning, drained some and then ran the rest of the cycle without drawing water. The detergent pod was still intact when it finished. Yet when I opened it the inside was hot and steamy. So I think the heating element is working and the bit of water left in from the beginning made it steamy.

jeff1

Staff member
As before it drew in some water at the beginning, drained some and then ran the rest of the cycle without drawing water.
Leave your meter on the fill valve.....no power when it should be filling but is not or do you have power to the fill valve when it is suppose to be filling but is not.

The detergent pod was still intact when it finished. Yet when I opened it the inside was hot and steamy.
Any chance the water is syphoning out and going down the drain too soon.

jeff.

Triskal

Premium Member
Leave your meter on the fill valve.....no power when it should be filling but is not or do you have power to the fill valve when it is suppose to be filling but is not.
I understand you are suggesting to leave the meter on the valve while it is running but I don't understand from your wording, what I should expect when. I also don't know when exactly it 'should' be doing anything since before this I have never really monitored the process.

Any chance the water is siphoning out and going down the drain too soon.
I can't say for sure. When it first draws water in and I open the door the water is standing at the bottom of the tub. So at least at that point the water has not siphoned out. the discharge does not use a breather but it is tied up to under the counter so the water has to go up before it comes down to draining into the disposal.

Again I will point out that the DW is silent during most of the cycle. However I don't think the motor is an issue as it will run of I cancel the cycle and it ran when I did the quick wash cycle. I am starting to think this is a control panel or logic board problem.

jeff1

Staff member
I understand you are suggesting to leave the meter on the valve while it is running but I don't understand from your wording, what I should expect when. I also don't know when exactly it 'should' be doing anything since before this I have never really monitored the process.
Pre-drain.
Fill with water.
Swish water around.
Drain out water.
Fill with water.
Swish water around. ( main wash has soap )
Drain out water.
Fill with water.
Swish water around.
Drain out water.
Fill with water.
Swish water around. ( has jet dry )
Drain out water. ( final drain before dry cycle )

This is a typical cycle.

Again I will point out that the DW is silent during most of the cycle.
As in not running for most of the cycle? If yes, then you have much more problems than just having issues after changing the fill valve! :(
Did this happen before you changed the fill valve?

jeff.