• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake
  • Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FGMC2765KB Combo Oven Wall Unit, microwave issue

Brandoaz

Model Number
FGMC2765KB
Brand
Frigidaire
We have had this unit a little over nine years. it still has an (extended)warranty for the Magnetron.

I Purchased this online from a major east coast place and delivered to our home in Arizona, i installed it (replaced and existing unit) myself.
Has worked flawlessly up until a week or so ago.
One day ,while using the microwave to heat a cup of water, mid cycle it just stopped in the middle of about a 3 minute cycle as i was standing there, no beeps, just stopped "cooking" and timer display reset to normal so to speak.
I re entered another minute or so and hit start and it finished the cycle fine, as i recall it worked fine again later in the day.
Next morning, i put in a cup of water entered the time on the panel and hit start.
Timer starts counting down, but the unit does not begin to "cook", "hmm that is odd" i thought.
stop, open and close door several times, retry, same result.
Oven functions fine
We are in the process of beginning a remodel in the coming months, i don't want to but a whole lot into this as it will be removed and the kitchen reconfigured with a Gas Range to utilize the wall space in the coming 6 months or so.
anyway
I spoke with a local part distributor who said it could be one of a few things:
First thing the said to check was the door switch, not sure how to other than manually try it.
then it could be several things:
The Magnetron( which i have confirmed with the seller-yes i still have the sales order and warranty paperwork), the part will be paid for if replaced by a local technician) hard to diagnose without a tech doing it in the house.
A high voltage transformer not so cheap and hard to diagnose without a tech doing it in the house.

A capacitor
A diode
He said he could test the Cap (ive replace start and run caps on HVAC and Pool motors) and Diode of i could remove them and bring them in and they were relatively cheap to replace>
Told me where the were under the microwave hood and said to unplug it and leave it for a few hours to discharge and store voltage to be safe>
I pulled it form the wall and lean it out just to take a look. I decided at that point not to go further as i didn't have the time to mess with it and put it back, but the hood was clearly held on by a set of screws and i could get to the electronics if need be>
It also appears the microwave is a completely separate unit that can be removed as it held to the frame with just 4 or 6 screws.

Anyone have this issue? What was the resolution?
Is there an exploded view of this unit somewhere?
Are these hardwired to the unit? or plugged in to the oven unit somehow.
could i simply remove the microwave/power cord and use the space to place a new unit that i can hardwired in like the old one one or plugs plugs in to the unit or wall?
I don't mind spending some money but just want to figure out mu options before i start calling repair guys( i have a couple recommended to me).
Thanks for any insight:

FGMC2765KB

Attachments

• Frigidaire.jpg
    Frigidaire.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 17