• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake
  • Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED FGMO205KFB Frigidaire Microwave doesn't heat, sounds different intermittently

Pez4

Premium Member
Model Number
FGMO205KFB
Brand
Frigidaire
Hi Guys-- Our built in Frigidaire Microwave is intermittently acting up. It'll be fine for a few days then when you try to use it that microwave sound will be "less" and the timer doesn't countdown and it doesn't really heat. You can open the door and close it and try again and it'll be fine or be the same. This morning I had to play around with it for a couple of minutes to get it to finally work. We can get a couple of good days out of it then it acts up for a couple of days...back and forth. Thanks for any help.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Unplug the machine and remove the control panel assembly so you can access the door switch assembly. Remove the wires from the door switches, one at a time, and check each switch for continuity by opening and closing the door. Your latch assembly should look similar to this one:
Door Switches.jpg

Pez4

Premium Member
Thanks for the reply-- I'l get to this in a couple of days. Ok if I check back with you?

Jim

Pez4

Premium Member
Hi guys, finally got to it today. All the switches tested fine. Is that possible considering it's an intermittent issue? Could there be something else going on? Thanks!
Jim

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
You have all the symptoms of a faulty interlock switch. Did you check them by opening and closing the door? If it's not a door switch the control board is the only thing left.

Pez4

Premium Member
Hi Rick-- I understand what you're saying especially since when it happens we open the door then shut it and try again and it's normal--sometimes it takes a couple more tries (almost like we're resetting the switch or something). I checked all three switches with the door opened and closed. I guess we'll keep using it until it's unusable and then I'll check all the switches again. I see the control board on this site for $105. I can cross that bridge when I come to it. Thanks for the help!

Jim

Pez4

Premium Member
Hi Rick-- So since I checked those switches and reconnected everything we've had no issues at all. I'm going to leave it for now and ride this good wave out... Thanks again for your help.

Jim