• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake

FGMV174KFB Microwave won't heat

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Capacitor test expected results

You can try discharging the capacitor and trying again. If you get the same results, it is likely good.

Signs of a defective capacitor would either always be infinite resistance or always be 0 resistance, indicating shorted.

Dan O.

Jacobariel

Premium Member
I tested the capacitor by placing the meter on the connectors(were wiring connects) and got 0.00 and then did one connector and the other on the housing and went up to the millions.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Jacobariel said:
and then [tested] one connector and the other on the housing and went up to the millions.
There should be NO continuity (aka infinite resistance) between either terminal and the capacitor housing. If there is resistance, the capacitor may be shorted and thus defective.

Dan O.

Jacobariel

Premium Member
I bought a magnetron and installed it yesterday and that was not it. Luckily I can send it back. When I installed it the transformer started to get hot and I could see blue sparks. At this point I do not know what it really is. That transformer thing that happened is the last straw in trying to fix it.

For all I know the transformer was the issue or is now damaged. I am buying a new microwave.

I do want to thank you for your help, patience and time with all this. You did the best you could. I obviously couldn't figure it out but it was a good experience.