• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake
  • Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FGMV174KFC Frigidaire Microwave 'runs' not heating.. switch??

MTXRooster

Model Number
FGMV174KFC
Brand
Frigidaire
Topic name is a great reference to this.. I didn't see ANY posts for my unit here (specifically the KFC version, there are a few posts regarding I assume the previous year model, KFB)..

I did a google search for my issue - We can start the microwave, and it runs (light comes on, fans whir, motor spins the glass tray etc), but it's not microwaving (heating) anything.
Google is full of results from people on a repair parts site claiming over and over "it was the door switch, specifically the bottom door switch!". I have an issue with that, that no search seems to be answering and there's no way to respond to their "reviews" (I honestly think they are fake, and just trying to sell parts).

I can confirm (as you probably know) there IS a switch on the bottom part where the 2 levers on the door meet the body of the microwave. It is red. I can actuate it with a skinny screwdriver, and it makes the classic microswitch clicking sound when pushed. Yes - I know that means nothing as to whether it's working or not. But here's my issue:

Without being a master of microwave repair, I consider myself somewhat observant. There is not a swich in the top area, only the bottom. There are no wires running from the door to the body that I can see. There are no other switches along the body of the microwave that the door would interact with. Why do I mention all this?? If 90% of this failure (again "microwave runs, not heating") is because of said faulty door switch, why does the microwave shut off when I open the door? Why won't it start when I push start with the door open? Clearly the switch seems to be working properly, otherwise, if it WERE actually faulty, the microwave would NOT stop while running when I open the door, and it would run when I press start with the door open. Or - Conversely, depending on how it was wired (and more likely for safety reasons), faulty door switch units would not be running at all if the switch was bad as the microwave would not know the proper status of the door. By which I mean it would not run, because designed properly, you'd think that it would think the door is open if the switch was faulty..

In either case, I cannot see nor understand how this failure of not heating, but running could possibly be the door switch.

Can anyone wiser in microwave repair confirm or deny this?

And if we can all agree, what suspects should I look towards given the info supplied above that I could check, and in your opinion is it worth to try and fix, or should we just give up on it and replace it? Not real keen on the Frigidaire set we bought - Already repaired the matching dishwasher twice (died a third time and we junked it - tired of it), and the fridge has had two circuit board replacements while under warranty, and 3 ice cube tray system related repairs, one under warranty, the other two out of (and currently still does not work, after a short 5 months stint after the last repair). So like I say, no love for this set whatsoever, but if it's a realistic and somewhat simple repair, we'll do it. If the repair is going to be close to a new unit - It's new unit time then..

Thanks in advance for any insight and ideas,

MTXRooster

P.S: I answered 6-10 years on age, honestly it's between 4-7 years, we aren't certain. It was a set, we bought it new, if there was a 5-6 year option we'd have picked that :)

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

We can start the microwave, and it runs (light comes on, fans whir, motor spins the glass tray etc), but it's not microwaving (heating) anything

We usually see if it is creating high voltage as as place to start.
Most door switch issues make things not run....but stranger things can happen.

Yes a "click" does not mean it is ok...

Written about a GE unit, but exact same tests and checks are also for yours...

If needed:

LINK> Micro switch, normally open
LINK> Magnetron

jeff.