• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake
  • Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FGMV175QFA Frigidaire Microwave Won't Turn On

b1gdog83

Premium Member
Model Number
FGMV175QFA
Brand
Frigidaire
The display screen is blank and not lit up. I tried plugging it into another plug that I know works. Where do I start for trouble shooting?

b1gdog83

Premium Member
I went a little further and discovered I have a blown fuse. Can I take out and replace the fuse without discharging the high-voltage capacitor? What fuse do I need to replace it with? Is there anything else I need to do other then replace the fuse?

Thanks

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I don't work on microwaves, I'll see if Rick can help you.

Jake

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Sorry, I missed this one.
Can I take out and replace the fuse without discharging the high-voltage capacitor?
Yes
What fuse do I need to replace it with?

Is there anything else I need to do other then replace the fuse?
These fuses do wear out but more often that not, something caused the fuse to open. Sheck for a short between the fuse and ground.

b1gdog83

Premium Member
Thanks for the response. How do I check for a short between the fuse and ground?

b1gdog83

Premium Member
Yes I have a Multi meter. I just don't know the spot I should check? Where should I put the leads?

b1gdog83

Premium Member
So I replaced the fuse and it worked for like a month. However it blew another fuse. So I assume there is another problem causing it to blow fuses.

On a earlier post I was told to check between the fuse and ground for a short. With the picture included can you tell me where I should touch my multimeter to?? And the setting I should place my meter on?

thanks

Attachments

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Set your meter on the lowest ohms scale, R X 1 and check from each side of the fuse to the screw holding the green and yellow wire to the frame.