FGX831FS3 Frigidaire Top Loader Washer,Belt Drive,No Agitation,but does Spin

R H

Premium Member
Model Number
FGX831FS3
Brand
Frigidaire
Frigidaire Washer & Dryer Stackable Combo, Top Loader,Belt Drive,Direct Reverse Motor,3/4 hp, Heavy Duty, Top Loader, 2 speed
Model number tag is unreadable! But I have entered a similar mdl no: FEZ831AS2,which has exactly the same cycle times,the Timer Terminals are labelled the same as mine & the Wiring Diagram is very similar to mine!

There is no problem with spinning, filling or draining in any cycle. The lid switch, lid lock & pressure switch all work.
The Block [Agitator Drive Hub] is not the problem.
The problem is the same For all 3 cycles [Delicate,Colors & Whites.]
--------------
NOTE:When this stalling happens: the Agitator Does Turn Properly when I manually push the belt & pulley clockwise,as for agitation.
---------------
I then have to manually advance the timer [past agitation] :
& the timer works properly to: 1] drain the tub, 2] spin ,3] fill for deep rinse

4] The same problem occurs during the second agitation of each cycle!
QUESTION: Is this problem caused by the Timer? [the Timer IS #131758600]

OR... the View attachment 42093View attachment 42094 Direct Reverse Motor may be the problem,but the Motor does work in the Spin [CounterClockwise] direction,so it seems unlikely to fail in the Agitate [Clockwise] direction. The timer controls this reversal of motor direction.
-------------
I have attached my wiring diagram, which I understand farly well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Model number tag is unreadable!
We can't help you without a good model number.

Jake

R H

Premium Member
Would I be able to find a model number somewhere other than the tag inside the dryer door?
Or any suggestions on determining my model number?
I have spent many hours on the net comparing pictures,specs,dimensions,even my Wiring Diagram number.

I did point out I'm very close to Mdl no: FEZ831AS2,which has exactly the same number of minutes for each part of all the cycles ,the Timer Terminals in the Wiring Diagram are the same order & numbers as mine & the Wiring Diagram is very similar to mine!

I did call Frigidaire,but the rep I talked to couldn't help.

In my search it would be useful to know if the mdl numbers' letters & numbers have any meaning to someone with your experience.
Or maybe they can be grouped by date or even just as older vs newer.
Does "FE" as the first two letters of a Model number stand for Frigidaire Electrolux?

----------------------------------------------------------------
I realize I have been under-measuring my unit,it's larger: apparently 75in x 27in x 30 3/16. So I may have already found a match & not realized it!

-------------------------------------
My Wiring Diagram no: 137058700A.
There's a partial Serial Number on bottom of my mdl number tag: xxx800484

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Unfortunately, I would need the exact model number.

Maybe another tech. can try to help you, but I can't, sorry.

Jake

R H

Premium Member
OK! I understand! Do you know:

Does "FE" as the first two letters of a Model number stand for Frigidaire Electrolux?

In my search it would be useful to know if the mdl numbers' letters & numbers have any meaning to someone with your experience.
Or maybe they can be grouped by date or even just as older vs newer.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I don't know, it can mean what factory it was built in, what year it was built in, I don't have a decoder chart for Frigidaire models.

Jake

R H

Premium Member
Hi,Jake! I finally got my Model Number: FGX831FS3, from my landlord.

I still would appreciate your help deciding if this is a Timer or Motor Problem!
---------------------------------------------

Using the wiring diagram, I checked the Timer for continuity for all 6 of the required pairs of pins used in the Wash Phase [inclu the 2 pairs for Agitate,the pairs for Wash Fill,Lid Switch Bypass, Motor Control,Water Temp] & all have continuity! [I checked continuity when the tub first fills & at the moment of stalling.PS: the Timer never moves.]

So, with the timer stalled in that agitate state, I believe the pressure switch should send power to the motor,
even if the timer does not advance-Yes?

So the motor, or it’s wiring, or the capacitor would seem to be the problem.

To check if the starter motor was the problem:
I tried to spin the motor pulley by hand, without the Belt attached [Clockwise {= Agitate}
,with the Power cord plugged in & the Dial set to Wash [= Agitate Mode], but not the motor did not run!

1] The Timer clock failed to advance

2] The Motor ,Capacitor, Centrifugal Switch & start winding all work for Spin mode,
so that seems to leave the timer as the problem.

But what could be wrong with the timer?:
1] Some terminals are being connected that shouldn't be connected? : I could do more continuity checks
2] Maybe there’s no power to the timer motor at the moment of stalling?
3] Broken Cogs on Cam?
-------------------

I posted my wiring diagrams in my Feb 23 post. There are 2 scans & the second one may be easier to read!

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, good.

Check WLC ( pressure switch ) first.

Unplug the machine!

Empty should have continuity between 1 and 2, when full should have continuity between 2 and 3.

If these check ok, then the timer is the problem.

Here's the water level pressure switch for your model:
134422700 Switch

Here's the timer for your model you can order:
131758600 Timer

Jake

R H

Premium Member
Thanks!! Pressure Switch Has proper continuity when Full & Empty as you described.
I assume you meant to "Unplug the machine!" to prevent a short [between Terminals 2 & 3: power supply to the motor]?

I will order a timer,but I'm curious what may be wrong with the timer & if could be fixed?

1] Are terminals being connected by the timer that shouldn't be connected? : I could do more continuity checks
2] Maybe there’s no power to the timer motor at the moment of stalling?
3] Broken Cogs on some Cams?

R H

Premium Member
Is this still available: "We have a special program here, all parts you order from our links we post are returnable within 30 days for a FULL refund if they don't fix the problem"

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
We have a special program here, all parts you order from our links we post are returnable within 365 days for a FULL refund if they don't fix the problem"

Yes, Its 365 days.:)

Timer problems are your usually burnt or bad contacts inside them.:)

Jake