• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Fisher & Paykel Dryer - stops prematurely

theripster

Premium Member
Model Number
DE60FA-US1
Brand
I know this is not the correct forum, but it seems to be basically a GE dryer made outside the US. Customer states it stops prematurely(like it will only run for 10 minutes or so and then shut off) and will sometimes not restart for awhile. This is on the timed dry cycle when it should run for whatever time the timer is set on. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

I haven't worked on these models, but it sounds like the motor is overheating and shutting down till it cools off. I've seen that happen on Whirlpool, Maytag, GE, and Frigidaire Dryers.

So I'd take that machine apart and check for lint build up in and around the motor. As the motor needs to vent the heat.

I didn't think I had the service manual for this model, but happy days are here again, I found it.:)

I'm attaching it below.

Jake

Attachments

• DE09_DG09_DE60FA_DG60FA_Svc_479536.pdf
    7.6 MB · Views: 442

theripster

Premium Member
I'm sorry. I guess I should have included more details. The dryer was totally disassembled and cleaned. I installed a new top bearing and all new glides, tested it and it seemed to be running fine. She has been using it for 2 weeks with no issues and then this started. She's going to continue using it for awhile and document exactly what happens and when. Maybe that will shed more light on it. I also ran a 4" brush up her duct work to the roof on a drill so there should not be any problems with the exhaust either. I will say a sincere thank you for the service manual though. I sure didn't have one. BUT, I do now.

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi all,

Just my 1 & 1/3 cents worth.

The high limit safety is often in series with the motor and it can/will trip and stop the dryer from running and this will need cooling down time before it will reset and allow the dryer to run again....acts just like the motor has tripped on it's thermal switch.

#3 50034571-00003.jpg

High-Limit-Thermostat-WE4M137-01554348.jpg High limit safety thermostat L315-65

[video=youtube;QLb1NTRlnMo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=QLb1NTRlnMo[/video]

Poor air flow is often a cause of it tripping.

jeff.

theripster

Premium Member
Thanks for that info Jeff. I thought that was a one time only type of safety. I did not know it would reset itself. I guess maybe a good way to test it is to run the dryer with the top off until it stops and immediately test the safety. Unplug it first of course.

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Most of the older style GE ones will reset once cooled.....rather than the thermal fuse style that open up and stay opened up.

jeff.

theripster

Premium Member
Well once again you have taught me something, and I appreciate it. I will let you guys know what the final outcome is.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks Jeff for stepping in here, any and all input is always helpful on Fisher & Paykel machines.:) As I really know nothing about these.:wall:

Jake