• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Fisher & Paykel Refrigerator - Freezer Problem

Philadelphia

Premium Member
Model Number
E522B
Brand
-brand-
Hello,

I'm trying to help a neighbor diagnose a problem they are having with their Fisher & Paykel refrigerator, particularly the freezer compartment. There is quite a bit of ice build up in the lower freezer drawer and on the shelf above there appears to be icicles indicating some type of dripping from above. There is no ice maker in this unit. I Immediately suspected a frozen coil and drain tube. The coil was not frozen but there was some frost build up at the opening and the drain tube itself, and seemed as if it was frozen. So i poured hot water down the tube and cleaned everything up. I put weed wacker line down the drain hose to confirm it was open. I also confirmed that the defrost element was functioning. I put everything back together and 2 days later the ice started to build in the freezer drawer again. I thought perhaps the door seal was leaking and applied a very conservative amount of Vaseline to ensure a tight seal. Unfortunately the problem still exists.

Anyone have any ideas? Please know i appreciate your time. Please see attached pictures.

Thanks!

Here in Philadelphia

Fisher Paykel
E522B

Manual:

https://www.cbw.fp.co.nz/fms/service/fpa-refrigeration/fpa-parts-refrigeration/Other/517799 E522BL E522BR.pdf

Attachments

• Freezer top drawer.JPG
    Freezer top drawer.JPG
    267.7 KB · Views: 31
  • Freezer bottom drawer.JPG
    Freezer bottom drawer.JPG
    477.6 KB · Views: 35

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
The coil was not frozen but there was some frost build up at the opening and the drain tube itself
Was there any frost on the rest of the coils? Are the fans working?

rickgburton

Staff member
no frost on the coils
That usually indicates a problem with the sealed system. Leave the machine plugged in and running and take a pic of the evaporator and post it here.

Philadelphia

Premium Member
Hiya Rick,

I just spoke with my neighbor regarding the picture and they've decided they are going to buy a new refrigerator. I'm a novice "fix-it-yourself" guru and fix anything from appliances and computers down to cars and lawnmowers. I dabble in electricity too. I have a lot of curiosity about how things work.

So anyway, I sincerely apologize for wasting your time trying to provide me help when you could be helping others. Please know that i appreciate your time!

Being that you have 31 years of experience what is you initial suspicion concerning this unit? I would like to glean some of you knowledge. When i initially took this unit apart the coil wasn't frozen but the drain tube was. And another interesting thing is that the unit cools both the freezer and refrigerator without problem other than the ice build up in the lower freezer basket. Could it be something simple as a fan? what are your thoughts?

Thanks again for your time Rick.

rickgburton

Staff member
I sincerely apologize for wasting your time
You're not wasting my time!
Could it be something simple as a fan?
Absolutely, however, if the fans are not working, the machine wouldn't cool properly. If the defrost heater was staying on too long that could cause the problem.
I thought perhaps the door seal was leaking
This is where I'm at. It looks and sounds like an air leak from the seal.
Vaseline to ensure a tight seal
That won't work. Look at it this way, if it didn't come with anything on the seal, you don't need it. Do this; Get a bright flashlight and put it inside the box then close the door. It's best to do this at night with the lights off then look for any light leaks. Be sure to check the bottom and the top. Sometimes the door will get out of adjustment and leave a small gap when the door is closed. Check that.