[FIXED] 79094019600-Oven not working

dablk1

Premium Member
Everything else works just fine. Is the problem simply replacing the elements...could one element effect the other. Te broiler is working just fine. Any suggestions?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
No, the elements work separately.

You would need to either or ohm check your bake element with an ohm meter for continuity, or do a voltage check with a volt meter in the back of your range while its in the bake cycle, be careful, its 240 volts that goes through the elements.

You'll need a ohm meter to check for continuity on your bake element. Make sure your home breaker is off to your oven first it or unplug your range before testing for continuity.

You can get a cheap volt/ohm meter at Radio Shack.

You can get access to the bake element from the back of your oven, by pulling it out away from the wall.

Remove the wires and use the volt/ohm meter on the ohms setting and see what it reads, a good element should read 10-30 ohms.

To check with a volt meter:
You should get 240 volts with your volt meter when you put the meter leads on each of the 2 bake element terminal ends. If you get 240 volts and the element doesn't get hot, then its definitely your bake element thats bad.

Here's the bake element for your model:
Manufacturer's Number: 316075104

Let us know what you find.

Jake<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

dablk1

Premium Member
Thanks Jake. I already have an ohm meter and will probably jump on it tomorrow. I want to watch the NFL playoffs starting in about 8 mins. Another question..is it common for both elements to go bad at the same time?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Another question..is it common for both elements to go bad at the same time?
No, very rare to happen.

Jake

dablk1

Premium Member
I removed the back access panel and saw 6 wires. 3 below the bridge(power source) and 3 red,white,black above the bridge leading into the range. I'm still not quite sure which wires I should be testing. I can see where the wires (red-white) enter the rear of the oven in relation to the element location. My biggest question is...which wires should I disconnect?

dablk1

Premium Member
I need to make a correction. The 6 initials wires that I spoke of are all related to the main power source. When I completely removed the back of the range, I noticed that there is a orange(right)-yellow(left) as viewing from the rear, wire leading to the element. I figured it out(had to laugh at myself). The element is in fact bad, I connected my leads to the element as you suggested and I had 0 reading. To make sure I was doing it correctly I also disconnected the wires leading to the broiler and ran a continuity test on the broiler and got a reading of 19 ohms. Initially I was trying to test the wire, which doesn't make sense. Nevertheless, thanks for your help.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, you got it.:)

A new bake element should fix it.:)

Let us know when you get the new one installed.

Jake

dablk1

Premium Member
Installed the new element and it works like a charm. Thanks for your help.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, good job.:)

Jake