• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

[FIXED] Another Kenmore Dryer problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

coop0517

Premium Member
return policy

Thanks bud- I actually got the part from point and click aooliance repair which is where I thought he did as well. The state the same thing but also clarify

There is one exception to our return policy. Due to resale laws, we CAN NOT refund the purchase of ELECTRICAL OR GAS PARTS THAT HAVE BEEN INSTALLED. You can be assured that any gas or electrical part that you purchase from us is new and has never been installed because we do not accept returns on electrical components that have been installed. For the purposes of this policy, electrical parts are considered installed when the wires and or harnesses are attached. Electrical parts that have been plugged-in but have not had power applied to them are still classified as having been installed and do not qualify for return.

The return policy says ANY part you can return within 365 days. RepairClinic is about the only place in the country that you can return any part, including electrical/electronic parts.:)

Not Necessarily, I have changed many of these boards myself and I didn't always see the burned marks like in that link.

Jake

coop0517

Premium Member
Return parts

Not like you need to know but for the readers big Jake is correct- I called RepairClinic just to make sure there is nothing we missed and they DO accept returns on "installed" parts.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yea,

If he bought it from the link I gave to RepairClinic, they DO accept returns on electrical parts.

Jake

repairdummi

Premium Member
Elite running but w/o heat

Our 3 year old Kenmore Elite, 2 days ago decided to run but without heat. The Sear's repairman came yesterday, did diagnostics with voltmeter and concluded that control panel board and relay- not sure which relay, needed be replaced at $360 parts and labor for only 90 days warranty.
The dryer is still in mint condition and I just hate to throw it away and purchase a new one, if this could be fixed at a reasonable cost either myself or professionally. I'm no engineer by a long shot and any help will be appreciated. BTW, we have had periodic incidences when the dryer would run only when the push button START is pressed and normally we will shy away from using it for a couple of hours and problem ran away. I noticed plenty of others on this blog having persistent issues here. Any link between this and the heat problem we face? Thanks ahead for advice!:)

repairdummi

Premium Member
Our 3 year old Kenmore Elite, 2 days ago decided to run but without heat. The Sear's repairman came yesterday, did diagnostics with voltmeter and concluded that control panel board and relay- not sure which relay, needed be replaced at $360 parts and labor for only 90 days warranty.
The dryer is still in mint condition and I just hate to throw it away and purchase a new one, if this could be fixed at a reasonable cost either myself or professionally. I'm no engineer by a long shot and any help will be appreciated. BTW, we have had periodic incidences when the dryer would run only when the push button START is pressed and normally we will shy away from using it for a couple of hours and problem ran away. I noticed plenty of others on this blog having persistent issues here. Any link between this and the heat problem we face? Thanks ahead for advice!:)

Scrolled back the thread to track any cases similar to mine and came across one written by 'SYNAPCID'. Came home, opened up the console,
checked the state of the control board and relieved in a way that no burns whatsoever in sight, then proceeded to experiment, by switching the heater relay with the motor relay. HEAT came on, but switch needs to be press continoulsy to keep motor in motion. Did not press long in case I toast the circuit board as many have done. Then returned the two relays back to original postion and again dryer runs continously with single press of button but no heat.

Am I correct to say that the experiment showed the possible fault lies with a bad heater relay? I assume the controller board, with a very clean look is still functioning.

If that is the case, can someone recommend me a reliable vendor (hopefully with easy return policy, just in case) to shop for the heater relay.

My Elite dryer has MOD#110.63952102

I really learned a lot from reading experiences and suggestions on this thread. Thanks!!!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds good.:)

Jake

kenandcar

Premium Member
Ok. I've just about had it with this piece of crap dryer!
I replaced the Motor Relay AND the Control Board (see post #240) and everything was working great. All of a sudden, I started having the SAME problem again with the starter button not staying on! :mad: :mad: :mad: Am I missing something?!? I do NOT want to call Sears and schedule a repair. Any suggestions?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok. I've just about had it with this piece of crap dryer!
I replaced the Motor Relay AND the Control Board (see post #240) and everything was working great. All of a sudden, I started having the SAME problem again with the starter button not staying on! :mad: :mad: :mad: Am I missing something?!? I do NOT want to call Sears and schedule a repair. Any suggestions?

Thats very odd that it would start doing it again, hopefully another tech. or member that has seen this happen so soon after it was fixed can help shed some light on whats causing this.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Finally got to do a couple of loads over the w/e. Dryer ran well w/o glitch, so far so good! Thanks for help!:)

Glad to hear its still doing good.:)

Jake

BAG

Premium Member
Replaced board Still doesn't work

Any help here. I replaced the board but the dryer still only works when the START switch is depressed.

Any help would be appreciated

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Any help here. I replaced the board but the dryer still only works when the START switch is depressed.

Any help would be appreciated

Did you switch the motor and heat relay to see if it stays on, like discussed in the posts above?

Jake

BAG

Premium Member
I guess I missed that in the previous coorespondence. I switched the relays and the start switch worked as advertised. I ordered a new relay and I will see if it works with the old control board. Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent job.:)

Jake

kenandcar

Premium Member
Wow...can you believe I'm still having problems? I replaced the board and the motor relay and things were working fine. NOW, if the dryer runs a complete cycle and the clothes need to go longer, the timer advances way too quickly, and then shuts off. Also, it intermittently does the "won't-run-unless-the-start-button-is-pressed-all-the-time" thing.
I'm wondering: is there some kind of safety thing installed that prevents the dryer from running for a long time? Is is possible that it can "overheat?" I've pretty much given up on the Even Heat Auto Moisture Sensing feature, and just run the Timed Dry mode.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Wow...can you believe I'm still having problems? I replaced the board and the motor relay and things were working fine. NOW, if the dryer runs a complete cycle and the clothes need to go longer, the timer advances way too quickly, and then shuts off. Also, it intermittently does the "won't-run-unless-the-start-button-is-pressed-all-the-time" thing.
I'm wondering: is there some kind of safety thing installed that prevents the dryer from running for a long time? Is is possible that it can "overheat?" I've pretty much given up on the Even Heat Auto Moisture Sensing feature, and just run the Timed Dry mode.

The only thing I can think of causing this now on yours is your thermistor:
Thermistor 8577274

Jake

snomaim

Jake:

My Kenmore electric dryer won't continue running unless I keep pressing the start button. I replaced the control board but apparently that's not the problem. My dryer has both a heater relay and a motor relay. Should I replace both or just the motor relay? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.