[FIXED] Another Kenmore Dryer problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoTalent

Premium Member
Wow your husband is a lucky man! :D

Ok you want to make sure your multimeter is set to DC and is set to 100 (or some number that is the next step up from 48--but not lower than 48 because it will appear maxed out).

If you look at my picture at the top (just for reference, because I know yours is different) you want to touch the red probe on your Multimeter (I'll call it MM) to the "Motor RLY" lead. Then touch your black probe to the GND lead. The board should be plugged in and the dryer should be plugged in when you make this measurement.

Be careful not to touch your probe across two leads at the same time!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Good instructions NoTalent!:cool:

Kelly, If your abit nervous about testing the board, Since i have changed many of these boards over the years. I will just ask you a couple questions to find out if the board is bad. Or the thermistor is bad.

1st: When you push the start button on either timed or auto dry, does the dryer turn off as soon as you release the start button?

Then its the board that's out:
Dryness Control Board W10116565 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

2nd: When you start the dryer on timed dry, does it run about 10-15 mintues then make 3 beeps and turn off? Or runs a couple seconds then makes 3 beeps right away, then turns off? The 3 beeps will only sound if you have the "end of cycle signal" turned on. So make sure the "end of cycle signal" is on.:cool:

If it does this, then its the thermistor that's out:
Thermistor 8577274 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

Let us know which one it does.:cool:

Jake

kellyt

Premium Member
You guys are the greatest!

NoTalent-Thanks for your directions. I'll be an electrician before ya know it!:p

Jake - my dryer does the 1st;runs when I push the start button and immediately turns off when let go. It does that on both cycles - timed and auto without any beeps. Thank you for the part number as well-Looks like I'm part shopping tomorrow! Do you know if that's a carried part that the Sears parts store sells or should I try an online store?

I'll let you know how this turns out..I can't thank you enough for your time and patience! KT

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Its possible your local Sears Parts Store has it, You will have to call your local Sears Store and give them the part number, or if you live close to a Sears Store you can just drop by. Its a 50-50 chance they will have it without them having to order it.

Or you can just order it from my link, If Sears has to order it, compare prices and shipping costs and arrival time to my parts provider RepairClinic.

Thanks for your kind words Kelly!We try to help all.

Jake

NoTalent

Premium Member
Kelly make sure you call ahead to see if they have the part. If they don't, I would compare prices (I did--and the link Jake provides has much cheaper prices than Sears and the part was here very quickly).

Good Luck!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent!

Jake

kellyt

Premium Member
Believe it or not, I've already received the part I ordered..very quick!

Now the technical questions begin! Is there a trick to getting the black wire with the gold tip disconnected from the flat silver piece? I'm afraid to pull too hard and I found myself getting a little frustrated so I thought I'd turn to the experts!:D

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad you got the board so fast.

That black wire can be hard to get off, i use a screwdriver to pry it off, or needle nose pliers.

Good Luck.

Jake

kellyt

Premium Member
Jake-I did it (thanks to you)! BUT when I run the dryer there is a slight smell of either a new part smell or something getting warm. I was too scared to run it for long so I wouldn't burn anything up if that's not normal. Is that smell normal?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The Dryer ran after you let go of the start button and stayed running with the smell?

Jake

scrappy

Premium Member
Add another Kenmore Elite to the list.

NoTalent, I have the same problem that you experienced. I have a Kenmore Elite Gas #110.73952102. The unit shuts off after releasing the button, but, while I press the button and the dryer runs there is an audible clicking sound that goes with it. NoTalent did you experience the clicking as well? Guys, Could this be an additional problem?

The burn mark is in the same exact place on the board that Notalent's photo shows. Was your part number from Repairclinic.com #1028312? Listed at $117. I want to order the correct even heat control board. From your posts it appears that the one board solves the issue for all the Elite models?

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

**I have a Kenmore Elite Gas #110.73952102 - Was your part number from Repairclinic.com #1028312?**

By your model# it is this one here.

**The unit shuts off after releasing the button, but, while I press the button and the dryer runs there is an audible clicking sound that goes with it.**

Might be the motor relay doing that.

**From your posts it appears that the one board solves the issue for all the Elite models?**

Absolutly NOT!!

jeff.

kellyt

Premium Member
Yes, the dryer ran perfectly but after a minute or two there is a slight smell. I took the timer/auto button off to smell a little closer and the smell seems to be coming from that area, making me assume it could be the new board I put in.:(

scrappy

Premium Member
Jeff,

thanks a ton for catching that. You just saved me time and $$$. Looks like that part is in stock. I'll look into the motor relay as well.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Kelly, It should be fine, don't be afraid to run the dryer as normal, if you connected everything up correct, it should be fine.I always smell a heat smell after i install one.

Check your vent exhaust as well, make sure its blowing plenty of air out.

Jake

NoTalent

Premium Member
Yes make sure you put the connectors back properly! Do you smell ozone?? If you do then you def hooked something incorrectly.

The connectors should have a little tab on one side, just line that up with the hole on the board.

NoTalent

Premium Member
scrappy wrote:

Add another Kenmore Elite to the list.

NoTalent, I have the same problem that you experienced. I have a Kenmore Elite Gas #11073952102. The unit shuts off after releasing the button, but, while I press the button and the dryer runs there is an audible clicking sound that goes with it. NoTalent did you experience the clicking as well? Guys, Could this be an additional problem?

The burn mark is in the same exact place on the board that Notalent's photo shows. Was your part number from Repairclinic.com #1028312? Listed at $117. I want to order the correct even heat control board. From your posts it appears that the one board solves the issue for all the Elite models?
Hi scrappy, I did not have the same symptom as you. That is interesting that your board shows the burn marks though....

Mine dryer would not run as soon as you let the start button go. Did you happen to hold the start button down for an extended period of time after (to try to make it turn back on?). I think that is why the board gets burned like in the picture I posted :shock:

Keep us posted on how everything goes!

kellyt

Premium Member
Jake, I've started a load. I'll watch it but the smell really does remind me of a new part smell. I am so grateful for your help. You're a wonderful person to assist people you don't even know just out of the kindness of your heart. I'm hoping all in my appliance world will be functioning properly but if I have any questions, I know where I can go! Thanks again!

NoTalent, hello...I was so paranoid about installing the board incorrectly that I drew a diagram before I removed the old one and made absolutely sure I inserted the parts correctly. Thank you as well for the support. I could not have saved all this money without your and Jake's help.

Enough of my babbling, I have 15 loads of laundry waiting! Take care.....Kelly;)

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks for your kind words Kelly, I'm Glad you got it going.

Yea, its kinda like a new smell with some heat mixed in,but its ok, it should be fine, I have replaced about 50 of these boards in the last 3 years, and all have worked great!

NoTalent goes a good job with the technical part of explaining it.

I'm always in a hurry to change the board, to get to the rest of my service calls, so i can get home before the traffic jams.

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.