[FIXED] Another Kenmore Dryer problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoTalent

Premium Member
I'm glad you got the dryer working again kelly! We had a ton of laundry to do when I got ours fixed--you really take them for granted after a while :D

scrappy

Premium Member
One even heat control board: $95.00 plus shipping

TIme to install board: 5 minutes

Having My Wife happy to dry clothes in the comfort of Home: Priceless!

Popped the board in on Saturday and it started right up with no clicking noise. Thanks again, guys, for you help.

Scrappy

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
**Having My Wife happy to dry clothes in the comfort of Home: Priceless!**

If Mama isn't happy....nobody is happy!! ;):cool:

Thankx for the update.

jeff.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Great news Scrappy!

Glad it all worked out.

Jake

NoTalent

Premium Member
Great news scrappy!

Jake this website is awesome! Keep up the great work :D

I just wish we could get Sears/Kenmore/Whirlpool to fix what is obviously their problem

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks NoTalent.

NoTalent wrote:
I just wish we could get Sears/Kenmore/Whirlpool to fix what is obviously their problem
The only thing is, if they fixed everything too good, then us appliance techs. would be looking for a new job!

Jake

KenmoreNomore

Premium Member
I'm new to this. I googled Kenmore Dryer problem and got this site. fantastic!!

I have a model 110.73942101. When I push the start button it runs but as soon as I take my finger off, it stops. I rigged it to run and it goes through the cycle with no problem.

From everything I read, I guess I need the new circuit board in order to use the start button. What would be the downside to just forcing the start button all the time and not replace the board? A roll of duct tape is a lot cheaper than the circuit board and it gives me plenty to talk to people about when they see it.

I didn't bother to contact sears based on the experiences that you others have had. The fact that Sears won't back their product will cost them in the long run which is a shame since they were one of the few companies with integrity out there. If anyone from Sears is reading this, you still have time to rectify this with all of us, just contact us!

KenmoreNomore

Premium Member
You're right. I don't want to risk the fire. I'll order the part and let you know how it turns out. Thanks everyone, this is a great site and help!

daveb

Premium Member
I replaced my Even heat control board, now my dryer shuts off after 1 minute.

Here are the steps:

Model: 110.68932790

There was no heat getting generated, dryer was spinning.

Called Sears Tech, he said it was the control board but said it would take 1 week to order.

I ordered my own control board. The replacement called also called for the replacement of the AC coil motor relay with a DC relay, and also had to replace the console harness.

I replaced the parts, the dryer now generates heat but stops after 1 minute. tested both moisture control and timer settings.

After the dryer stops I need to manually push the timer to the off position, then reset the timer, before it will start again.

Thank you.

Dave

jeff1

Staff member
Hi Dave,

**I replaced my Even heat control board, now my dryer shuts off after 1 minute**

Any beeps when the dryer shuts off?

jeff.

KenmoreNomore

Premium Member
I got back from business trip and vacation to find the part I ordered. I replaced the part using all the tips I read here but after I put everything together, I still had the same problem. I push the start button and the unit runs, I take my finger off and it stops. The part I ordered was #8546229 Even Heat Control Board (from RepairClinic) for the Sears model 110.73942101.

We did force the start button down for several loads before contacting this site and replacing thecontrol board. The original control board has the burned out piece that I saw on the site. Any suggestions? Is there some other part I should be replacing?

jeff1

Staff member
daveb wrote:
Yes, 3 beeps.
Hi,

Check the temp thermistor. A thermistor is used to replace the operating temp thermostat on the fan blower housing. Have read about the dryer beeping three times and shutting off when this thermistor is bad.

A copy: (this is from one style of an Even heat dryer)

Thermistor Test or Dryer Beeps 3 Times When PTS Pressed

An electronic temperature sensor called a thermistor is used in this model in place of an operating thermostat. The Even Heat control monitors the exhaust temperature using the thermistor and cycles the heather relay on and off to maintain the desired temperature

Procedure

Begin with an empty dryer and a clean lint screen.

1. Set the following configuration:

Timer Dial- TIMED DRY

Fabric Care/Temperature switch- COTTON HIGH

Wrinkle Guard switch- OFF

Signal switch- LOUD

Door- must be close
2. Press the Push To Start switch.

a. If you hear three short beeps and the dryer shuts off after several seconds, the thermistor or wire harness is either shortened or open. Check the wire connections at Even Heat control and thermistor. If wiring is functional, replace the thermistor: Unplug the dryer and remove the cabinet rear panel. Remove the two wires and replace the thermistor as shown in Figure 1.

b. If the dryer appears to operate correctly, proceed to step 3.

3. Remove exhaust vent and start the dryer.

a. Turn Fabric Care/ Temperature switch to desired temperature to be tested, and select 20 minutes on the Timed Dry dial. Hold a glass bulb thermometer capable of reading from 90ºF to 180ºF in the center of the exhaust outlet. Measure exhaust temperatures with heater off and on. The correct exhaust temperature is as follows:

b. If the exhaust temperature is not within specified limits, check the resistance of the thermistor.

c. If the thermistor resistance checks within normal limits, replace the Even Heat control.

Thermistor control for dryer

jeff.

jeff1

Staff member
KenmoreNomore wrote:
I got back from business trip and vacation to find the part I ordered. I replaced the part using all the tips I read here but after I put everything together, I still had the same problem. I push the start button and the unit runs, I take my finger off and it stops. The part I ordered was #8546229 Even Heat Control Board (from RepairClinic) for the Sears model 110.73942101.

We did force the start button down for several loads before contacting this site and replacing thecontrol board. The original control board has the burned out piece that I saw on the site. Any suggestions? Is there some other part I should be replacing?
Hi,

When the dryer shuts off when you remove your finger from the start switch, any beeps?

I's also check the motor relay ( in the consol ) and make sure the motor switch is not clogged up with dust and check the temp thermistor on the fan blower housing....as per wire diagram that comes with the dryer.

Just some ideas :)

jeff.

daveb

Premium Member
Hi Jeff,

thanks for this information. i have a few questions.

the correct temperature settings seem to be missing from the info you pasted into the mail.

The test mentions if there are three beeps and the dryer shuts off after several seconds it could be a thermistor problem. My dryer shuts off after 60 seconds exactly, each time. Does this have any significance? It does not seem to match the "several second" description of a thermistor problem.

Concerning the temperature test, since my dryer will only run one minute will I be able to acheive the desired setting anyway?

Thanks,

Dave

jeff1

Staff member
Hi Dave,

The copy I made was from a Tech sheet that I have but you should check for the one that came with your dryer in case they differ....check in your consol area.

*I* haven't had any run for 60 seconds exactly myself before....sorry!

jeff.

Nika B

Premium Member
Jake, first I want to say thank you sooooooo much for taking the time to reply to people's needs. Your a God send! I mean that from my heart.

My Kenmore Elite dryer won't run unless I hold the start button. I was too afraid to tape it so I left it be. I've read all the forums and I have one question (so far ). I'm not sure if it's the control board thing or the thermistor. If it is the thermistor will I be able to change it myself? I have hope that I will be able to change the control board....Kelli gave me the girl power to think I will be able to do almost anything....if she could do it then I should be able too.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Nika,

Thanks for your kind words.

It sounds like your control board is bad. If the thermistor was bad it would run a few seconds then beep 3 times and turn off, make sure your cycle signal beeper is on.

Its pretty easy to change both of those parts. Kelly did a wonderful job with hers.

Is yours the same model# as hers? Please post your model number here so we can check.

Jake

Nika B

Premium Member
Jake HELP!!!!!!!:shock: I called repair clinic.com to see if they had the control board thing is in stock and when gave them my model # she said that my dryer didn't have a control board thing but it does because I saw it when I took the dryer back apart. My board looks like the one one their site part # 1028313.

My dryer model # is 110.739 52101 and the serial number is MM 4008620 (just in case you need it)......and I did try to see if I heard any beeps and I didn't....AND my board doesn't look like the burned one on this site......

Please help me.....the lady from repairclinic said that I needed a timer, part number 904434....I don't know what in the world she's talking about....I told her that I will call back......Please help Jake!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.