[FIXED] Condsensor Fan is not running

snowcrash

Premium Member
Model Number
ED5LHAXMQ10
Brand
Whirlpool
Hey, first off wanted to say what a great board this is with tons of info and help. I've looked and almost found what I need without even asking about it yet!

Here's my problem, I've got a whirlpool side-by-side ED5LHAXMQ10 and noticed water was coming from underneath and first thought the water lines had cracked again but that wasn't the problem. The defrost pan was slap full of water and just running over into the floor. While looking under there, I noticed the fan didn't turn at all.

About two months back I had to replace the outside water lines that went up into the fridge and back out for the water dispenser because they had cracked and I figured it was due to heat. When doing that though, I also noticed that the fan was not turning on and thought maybe it just comes on at times.

The temperature in the fridge stays around 39-40 most of the time but at one time it wasn't cooling. We ended up cleaning the coils or underneath and that seemed to make it start working again. The middle part though near the top of the fridge is warm to the touch again and I feel like the fan not working is having something to do with that.

I have search and nobody has asked about this model fridge with this problem, but I believe I have found that I would need W10124096 for the fan if that is the problem and W10135090 for the circuit board if that is the problem. If these numbers are not right though, please correct them for me.

After looking at other posts though, I need to check the voltage to the fan while the compressor is running to see if it is getting any. If the fan is getting voltage and not turning, then the fan is bad and if it is getting no voltage then that means the board is bad.

How do I test the fan though, I know how to use the meter but what voltage and I looking for? Do I look for 120 volts AC or it seems like I read in one post to look for like 13 volts DC. Also, I believe the fan has two wires, do I just put one probe on one wire and the other probe on the other wire or will they both have some voltage to them.

Any help is appreciated :)

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

It should be getting about 13 volts DC at the condenser fan motor, if not then its your control board.

Here's the control board for your model you can order here:
Manufacturer's Number: W10135090

W10135090

Unplug your refrigerator first! Just pull your refrigerator out from the wall and take off the lower back access panel and you will see the control box on the right side.

Its #18 here, located in the back of your refrigerator inside the control box#20:

Jake

snowcrash

Premium Member
I appreciate it, I also realized that I spelled condenser wrong in the the topic but I was in a rush and doing a couple of things when I first started the post.

Finally getting some time, I'm going to check the voltage at the fan tomorrow morning but just to clarify on checking the voltage, I should just unplug the connector and put one probe on one wire and the other probe on the other wire and look for 13 volts DC?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, thats exactly what you do.:)

Jake

snowcrash

Premium Member
Jake, got another question for you which I'm not sure about!

I took the back off and made sure the refrigerator is runnning and the compressor also and tested the plug. I am not getting any voltage reading in DC, but in AC, there is 120-121 Volts AC there on the plug that goes into the fan. Also looking at the fan, the fan says that it is like a 115V fan.

Should I be looking at the AC Volts then and if so, does that mean the fan is getting power but the fan is bad?

Thanks again, just trying to find out for sure so I can get the part order asap. It has got so hot under there though, where the control board is, the outer protective box(and cover) has melted/disformed the plastic to where it doesn't close properly. My condenser pan is filling up again so I need to get the problem fix though to have air flow under there I guess!

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thats odd, I thought this was a DC motor, it is on newer models.

Yes, if the motor says 115 volts, then thats AC volts, yes.

Check for 115 volts AC then, if you get 115 volts AC and the motor isn't running, then you have a bad motor.

Here's the condenser fan motor for your model you can order if needed:
Manufacturer's Number: W10124096

Jake

snowcrash

Premium Member
Just wanted to say thanks for the help. Got the fan Tuesday but couldn't put it in until yesterday! Before I put it in though, I took the air hose and blew the crap out of the underneath trying to get all the dust off the coils, got the water out of the tray and then put the fan in. Once I plugged it up and the fridge kicked on, the fan immediately came on.

Hopefully no more issues for some time to come with that. Thanks Jake!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent snowcrash, good job.:)

Jake