[FIXED] Frigidaire Gallery Front Loader Washers - NO HIGH SPEED SPIN - READ THIS FIRST!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ricklaugh

Premium Member
If your washer is operating normally except for the high-speed spin, read on!

IT MAY SIMPLY BE THE DOOR LATCH AND/OR DOOR LOCK MECHANISM! YOU CAN REPLACE THIS YOURSELF FOR UNDER $100.00!!!

You can order at this link: 131763256 Door lock and switch assembly

After my service tech wanted to replace the board, then the motor, then the timer, etc., I said enough is enough. His suggested repairs would have cost over $500.00.

If you can use a voltage meter, remove the front access panel. There is a test connector. Simply insert your black and red testing needles into the receptacle. If there is voltage during the spin cycle, this is bad. Replace your door lock and latch. If there is no voltage, the door lock is not your problem.

To replace the door lock mechanism: There may be a better way, but I removed the top of the washer (easy) and worked down. Then, look at yours with a flashlight. I reached my arm down through the top (tight squeeze - you may have to get your wife!) and unplugged the three different wire harnesses (take your time - you can do it). Note that two of them have small safety releases that you have to squeeze first to remove the plug. Just feel your way around. It really is not hard. Then remove the two screws from the front, and out it comes.

To install the new one, I fished it up from the bottom. You can reach just inside the washer tub (where you wash clothes) and press through the rubber seal to hold it and allow you to start a screw. Take your time, you can do it.

This whole operation took less than one hour, plus a trip to the parts store. I found that my local parts stores were very competitive with the internet sites. Check the Frigidaire site to locate a distributor near you. Very helpful. While you are there, buy some steel hoses for the hot and cold water supply. They will not burst like rubber hoses. Great investment!

Many thanks to the tech that pointed this out. You saved me hundreds of dollars! My washer is spinning again. My motor, board, and timer are JUST FINE!

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Rick,

I remember on the older frigidaire and kenmore 417 front loaders they did have a latch problem, but this was like on the early 1997-2001 models. I guess we are getting a rash of these starting to come back to haunt us again?

I been replacing speed boards and motors left and right on the 2002-2005 models. And its been fixing this spin issue.

Thanks for the good information!:)

Jake

ricklaugh

Premium Member
Jake,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, my washer is dated March 2000. Judging from other posts that I have seen, this is a recurring issue. What is so puzzling about this problem is that the door lock light is "on" and the washer spins normally back and forth during the wash cycle. With this performance, one is inclined to think that the door lock is OK.

What disappointed me was that my service tech did not know, or take the initiative, to perform the simple test. That is exactly why Frigidaire put the test connector there in the first place (I am sure it has other purposes as well). That test quickly showed it was the door lock.

Again, I am very appreciative of folks such as yourself and Mad Mac that take your time to help "suits" like me save a few hundred dollars. I cannot thank you enough!

Keep on spinning!

ricklaugh

Premium Member
By the way, I need to clarify that I am talking about the high-speed spin, like the final spin. It was the high-speed spin that was not working, not the normal spin during the washing action. I edited the original post to reflect this.

Mad Mac

Appliance Tech
Moorpark (via Motherwell, Scotland), California, U
Rick,

I got your e-mail re this - It's always nice when someone feeds back that the advice they got here has been helpful.

A while back, I wrote a "sticky" on the whole door lock thing on these - Jake, is it just me, or has it gone? Also, the "Door Lock" light, for reasons known only to Friggidaire, only proves that the detergent drawer is closed. I know, I'm still trying to figure that one out as well......

flybob

Premium Member
high speed spin(less)

Are the schematics for these available online someplace? I have the older version, seems like I bought it in ~ '98?

I have a temporary fix for mine - a 2x4, with some foam padding on the nose, bar clamped to the laundry room door frame and pressing on the washer door. Cost - $0, nuisance factor - high.

With the price this same model is selling for at HH Gregg, it would almost be worth it to buy a new one and part the old one out on eBay to pay for it. (actually I would come out ahead financially, just not hassle-ly). I mean dig it, the timer, controller, seal, door, motor, etc all work fine. Pump makes "loose bearing" noise, but has done so since 2 weeks after the warranty ran out and still works good.

flybob

Premium Member
model number ..?

Well, the panel inside the door says "417.39012891", but that looks more
like a Sears PN than a Frigidaire. Also most links I run across dont recognize that number either.

It was originally bought from sears, but it is branded Frigidaire, not Kenmore.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

FrigidaireKilla

Premium Member
I have a Frigidaire Model#: FWT647GHS0 front loading washer that does spin and agitate but only if I help it. Otherwise it doesn't do anything but fill and drain. :cool:

I can get the machine to agitate and spin by removing the back cover and push the tub wheel that the belt goes around. I'm wondering if this could be a belt issue or possibly a motor issue. Any advice?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

When you push the tub pulley, do you notice the motor pulley spinning, or is it stopped also?

Jake

FrigidaireKilla

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

When I push the tub pulley, the motor pulley does spin, yes. Although it's not spinning as if it can't grab the belt, it grabs the belt and starts to agitate/spin. There may be a slight moment when the motor spins and the belt doesn't grab, but it's very short - i'm talking maybe .25 seconds.

When the motor does try to spin you can hear a very faint squeak when it wants to turn the belt - that's when i turn it leaving me to believe it could be the connection between the belt and motor. I have applied pressure the belt to see if a tighter belt would help and it does feel like it wants to grab. I'm not convinced a new belt will resolve the issue though.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok,

You will need to look at the service sheet, its located in the bottom front left side, just inside your lower front access panel.

That service sheet will tell you what to test, you will need a volt/ohm meter.

The problem is either your motor or motor controller board.

Jake

FrigidaireKilla

Premium Member
Thanks Jake. I did some testing tonight and without the belt, the motor runs strong. In fact I can't stop it just grabbing the motor pulley with my hands. It goes through all the motions (agitate/spin) without the belt so I'm going to try getting a belt tomorrow. If that doesn't work then I'll get a new motor (I think the control board is working since the motor goes through its cycles).

Thanks much for your help! :eek:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good. Since your in Eugene your really close to us here in Springfield, We don't sell parts here at our shop, just online, but Glenwood Appliance on Franklin blvd. has lots of in stock parts.

Here is your belt in case you or others need to order it: Part#134051000-Belt

Jake

dirty_Logan

Hi Jake,
I am like most very impressed by the knowledge level of the people who post on here. I think I've looked at most of the posts and haven’t yet found what I’m looking for, I got my FWT445GES1 second hand and with no tech sheet. when I got it home and hooked it up the high speed spin would not engage, So it has been sitting. but now it is time to see what I can do to get it going. I've checked the Frigidaire site and found the parts list for my model but have had no luck at all with a wiring chart. so I can test things like the door switch. is there something on their site that would work? or do you have any other resources that I haven’t found yet?

Thanks so much for all the good ideas so far.

kbgo

Premium Member
No high speed (final) spin

Hi Rick,
I have a Frigidaire washer model# FWT867GHS0 since 2001 and now has no high speed (final) spin. The normal washing spin is working.
In your comments on Feb 19, 2006 you said:
"If you can use a voltage meter, remove the front access panel. There is a test connector. Simply insert your black and red testing needles into the receptacle. If there is voltage during the spin cycle, this is bad. Replace your door lock and latch. If there is no voltage, the door lock is not your problem."
Where is this test connector located? Is it near the door lock/latch? Is the front access panel the one at the bottom?
Your response is appreciated.
Thanks,
kbgo

kbgo

Premium Member
No high speed (final) spin

Hi,

Can anyone help me since I have not received any response yet.

I have a Frigidaire washer model# FWT867GHS0 since 2001 and now has no high speed (final) spin. The normal washing spin is working.
In your comments on Feb 19, 2006 you said:
"If you can use a voltage meter, remove the front access panel. There is a test connector. Simply insert your black and red testing needles into the receptacle. If there is voltage during the spin cycle, this is bad. Replace your door lock and latch. If there is no voltage, the door lock is not your problem."
Where is this test connector located? Is it near the door lock/latch? Is the front access panel the one at the bottom?
Your response is appreciated.
Thanks,
kbgo
<!-- / message -->

Status
Not open for further replies.