[FIXED] GE side by side fridge side not cold

Status
Not open for further replies.

justjay

Premium Member
No, most likely you have a defrost issue. You can remove the back wall of the freezer and check the defrost heater and defrost thermostat for continuity. If they test OK, you may have to replace the motherboard.
This morning when I checked the ice has melted from the back wall. The fans comes on when you open the door. The ice maker is also trying to work. I checked the temp inside the unit it's 47 in the freezer, and 58 on the other side.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Rick is correct, you will need to remove the back panel inside the freezer and look at the evaporator coils for frost build-up on them, normal would be just a thin layer of frost on all the coils.

Jake

ThaVWMan

Premium Member
Hello everyone! I see this is a long time running thread, so I am hoping I can get some quick guidance on what part of my fridge to check, and where to check it. I have a GE Side By Side, Model GSS22JERE BB, Serial: AH253287. The unit is pushing 7 years old, and a few weeks back we had an issue where the fridge side wasnt cold, but the freezer seemed ok. Took everything out, found the coils in the freezer section where completely iced from top to bottom. We thought we had left the door open because of a package that wasn't letting the door close by itself, so I completely defrosted the unit, turned it back on, and all seemed well for the past few weeks. Until this morning that is. Woke up to the same issue, freezer cold, fridge not. Can anyone tell me if my model is a electronically controlled defroster? If it isnt, where is the defrost timer? What other things are likely the cause? I have not had a chance to unload everything to see how bad the coils are this time, but I will later. I am just trying to figure out if this is something I can successfully fix on my own, or if I just need to bite the bullet and have a repairman come out.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Remove the back wall of the freezer section or evaporator cover. You'll need a VOM to check continuity on the defrost heater and defrost thermostat. Check the defrost thermostat while it's frosty. It should read closed below 40*F. If they both check good replace the motherboard. Replacing any of these parts is an easy repair. Once you determine which part is faulty, defrost the coils with a hair dryer and be sure to get all the frost and ice out of there. Here are the parts for your machine and a few videos you might find helpful:

https://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/High-Limit-Thermostat/WR50X10068/1170024
Defrost-Thermostat-WR50X10068-00653956.jpg

[video=youtube;wQwTbFYk3xE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wQwTbFYk3xE[/video]

https://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Defrost-Heater-Assembly/WR51X10101/1399613
Defrost-Heater-Assembly-WR51X10101-01071537.jpg

[video=youtube;311BiD76iYg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=311BiD76iYg[/video]

https://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Control-Board/WR55X10942P/4512753
Main-Control-Board-WR55X10942-01091477.jpg

ThaVWMan

Premium Member
Remove the back wall of the freezer section or evaporator cover. You'll need a VOM to check continuity on the defrost heater and defrost thermostat. Check the defrost thermostat while it's frosty. It should read closed below 40*F. If they both check good replace the motherboard. Replacing any of these parts is an easy repair. Once you determine which part is faulty, defrost the coils with a hair dryer and be sure to get all the frost and ice out of there. Here are the parts for your machine and a few videos you might find helpful:
Awesome! Thank you so much for all of that info! I will test that stuff this evening, and report back!

BlessedbyHim

Premium Member
GE Refrigerator Model TFX22ZASMAD question

Hi,
I have read through many pages of this forum and have followed the steps as outlined. When I tested the defrost timer to do a manual defrost, the heating elements did not turn on. So we tested the heating elements with the multimeter and found them not to be working. I read on another site that if the defrost timer didn't turn the fridge back on twenty minutes, that the timer was broken. Is that correct? Thank you.

ThaVWMan

Premium Member
One more thing I would like to add to my situation is that after we defrosted the freezer and got everything working again, it seemed like it would never shut off, or would shut off only briefly. Not sure if that points to a problem with a specific part more than another, but wanted to check. I am really hoping this is not an issue with the control board, but it wouldnt surprise me as I have already had to replace that board once since we got the fridge.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
It's important that when you defrost it all the ice and frost is removed and not just most of it.

ThaVWMan

Premium Member
After testing the heater for continuity, it failed. Replaced yesterday, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see how things go. Thanks for all of your help!

Nick

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Status
Not open for further replies.