[FIXED] GE SS Wind Noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

hofferwood

Hello all,
My Hotpoint is doing the howl as described in this thread.
We acquired this 'fridge with the house (perhaps the noise is why it was left behind:)).
The fan motor is good, no rust on the shaft, bushings not worn. I will check the lead resistances (per sticky), but the resistors on the main board are not "cooked"
I am a journeyman electrician, so this is all familiar to me (Allen Bradley plc's, Fanuc robotics etc.)
So my real question here is, do you think this model may be covered under the "Recall"?

I would like to thank you in advance for any help with this:)

Chuck

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi Chuck, That's a common problem with that model. You'll need to replace the evaporator fan motor with this update assembly. Don't just replace the motor. Call 1-800-GE-CARES for any recall information.

GE WR60X10100 Fan Orifice Assy

Bow_Tied

Premium Member
Sounds like I also have the problem. Mine just started making the howl, sounds like a mourning dove cooing. It is not yet loud, only been doing this a few days. How urgently should I address this (just about to go on vacation)?

I think the motherboard I need has already been listed, but for confirmation, my GE model number is a GSS20IETA WW. Does the linked vendor readily ship to Canada?
Many thanks...Ron

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Well, you know how it goes. If you weren't going on vacation it would probably be OK for a while. But since you're leaving.....

Bow_Tied

Premium Member
Back from vacation and the noise has stopped - but the fridge is not cooling. :(

I think this place ships to Canada: I think this place ships to Canada: WR55X10942P Main Control Board Assembly
These guys do ship to Canada, I called to confirm.

The instructions say to capture the included ground wire eyelet under a cover screw. It doesn't say what to do with the existing ground wire - do I just ignore it? I figure I can, but I want to be sure I am not do anything wrong. (wire in hand is original)
TIA
fridgeboard 002.jpg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Just ignore the ground wire.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds good Ron, glad to hear that.:)

Jake

Bow_Tied

Premium Member
Just an update to say ~3 weeks later after the board replacement and all is working well! A big thanks to all that contribute here!
Ron

Looks like I spoke too soon, fridge quit cooling properly sometime last night. Both sides are cool, but no where near enough. Nothing frozen, just cool to the touch. I can hear a fan running, but the fridge doesn't audibly cycle. Maybe my expectations to are too high for a 7 year old fridge. This is frustrating, any help is appreciated. :( Where to start?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds like your motherboard you just replaced went bad, you should have a part warranty on it, just have them exchange it for another one.

Jake

Bow_Tied

Premium Member
Thanks for the reply, Jake. Is this common, I mean, I am surprised. Is there anyway I can verify this? Or are you 99% certain? Thanks for the help!!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
No way to be certain, just makes sense, sense it was just replaced.

Jake

jclammy

Premium Member
Yes, Its the control board, I had the same problem a few years back. It "moans"

Bow_Tied

Premium Member
No way to be certain, just makes sense, sense it was just replaced.

Jake

Oh ok. I was worried that a bad fan or something has killed the new board. Guess I will get another new one, hope the warranty is valid on the board - don't want to spend another $200.

Status
Not open for further replies.