[FIXED] GE SS Wind Noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bow_Tied

Premium Member
No way to be certain, just makes sense, sense it was just replaced.

Jake
Well, I am going to ask the place where I bought the board, but I noticed on the reciept "No exhange or refund on electrical parts". So I am very likely screwed. :( Is there any test, be it a multi-meter test or other, I can do to be sure? - anything at all? If there is something killing the board, this will happen again in a month and I will be out $400, tough for the family to afford right now.

Additional info in case it is helpful: There was no moaning or noises like there was when the fridge failed a month ago. The freezer gets just cold enough to freeze an ice pack put at the bottom of the door, but middle and higher isn't cold enough to freeze a popsicle. There is frost on the back, bottom panel. Fridge side is cool, but not cool enough at all.

Open to any suggestions please. Thanks again for all the help, this site is great.

Ron

Bow_Tied

Premium Member
Thanks Rick! I guess I will go through the procedure of checking voltage and resistances tomorrow night. Would this burning of the resistors apply to the updated board that I swapped in a month ago? Neither the OE board nor the replacement board showed any burn or discolouring at all on the resistors.
Thanks again.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Since I first wrote that, I've found 90% of the time the resistors are not burned or discolored except when there is a direct short in the fan motor, usually to ground. So basically I'm saying, if the resistors are burned, replace the motherboard and fan motor. If they are not burned or discolored it doesn't mean the fan motor doesn't need to be replaced. Now instead of doing the resistance and voltage measurements, if any of the symptoms I listed in that thread exists, I replace both fan motor and motherboard. You mentioned yours was making a noise before it stopped cooling. That would be one of the symptoms so I would replace both. Since your motherboard has gone out so soon after replacing it (another symptom of a bad fan motor) I think it's a safe bet saying you need to replace both.

batch

Premium Member
Hi folks,

Thanks for this thread! I have model GSH25JSTASS. If I understand the procedure correctly, I should:

1) replace main board
2) replace evap fan motor

I read recommendation to replace the housing assembly (not sure if that affects my model). Do I need to replace the motor housing too?

Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
No, you shouldn't need the motor housing.

Yes its likely you will need a new evaporator (freezer) fan motor and a new motherboard. GE had a issue with the motherboard causing the freezer fan motor to go out.

Now some members have reported just changing the motherboard fixed it, but other members not the case, so I'd order both to be on the safe side, then install the motherboard first and see that fixes yours, if so, you can return the fan motor for a full refund.

Here's the motherboard for your model you can order:
Manufacturer part number WR55X10942P

Here's the evaporator fan motor for your model you can order: Manufacturer part number WR60X10074

Jake

batch

Premium Member
Thanks Jake.

quick follow-up question - On GE website shows evaporator fan motor part number WR60X10185 for my model. But if I buy that part, I need to buy thermistor as well? OR I could just buy the part you listed WR60X10074 which includes motor and thermistor correct? Plugs should still be plug and play?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Its best just to get the evaporator fan motor I posted above with the thermistor already included, just to be on the safe side.

Jake

rickgburton

Staff member

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, Rick is correct. I just doubled checked and I was wrong, no thermistor on your evaporator fan motor. Sorry about that.

Jake

Bow_Tied

Premium Member
Hi again,
Been away and now getting back into this, going to replace the evap fan and wanted to confirm #s

I have a GE side by side GSS20IETAWW

I know the Main Board is: WR55X10942

But, is the evaporator fan motor WR0X10185 or WR60X10102?
And those numbers above are only if it doesn't need the thermistor version of the motor which is then 914169, right?

I read sooo many posts, so many similar part numbers... so confusing when no other poster seems to have the exact model I have. Thanks so much for the clarification.

Also, if there is a how-to write up for the evap fan replacement please link me, I couldn't find it. :eek:

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Here's the evaporator fan motor for your model you can order:
Manufacturer part number WR60X10185

How about a video on how to change it.:)

Just ignore the thermistor hook-up on your model.

[video=youtube;_PI1blsY-Pc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PI1blsY-Pc&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Bow_Tied

Premium Member
Thanks you Rick/Jake!!! That video is awesome, even I can do that I think!

I ran into a new problem today with part numbers.

Your previous recommendation to me was that I needed main board WR55X10942P for my GSS20IETAWW. The parts house I called says I actually need WR55X10552 for this model and the fellow said he even called GE to confirm that/confirm it wasn't a superceded number etc. Now I am confused, perhaps I bought the wrong replacement board first time around and that is why it failed?

I appreciate all the help...

rickgburton

Staff member

Bow_Tied

Premium Member
Thanks, I will make sure he wrote the model number down correctly, the number I posted is as per the fridge tag (well, there is a space before the WW). Thanks Rick!

Bow_Tied

Premium Member
Now, I need to decide which one to get. I can't imagine that the models are that different that either board wouldn't work. Nothing is ever simple for me, sigh.
Again, all the help is appreciated!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Remember when you talk to GE Canada or GE USA customer service, they are not techs like we are. They have never worked on any GE appliances in their life, they just sit in a cubicle and answer the phones all day.

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.