• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

[FIXED] Hotpoint Dryer Heating Problem

dban

Premium Member
Model Number is DLB3400SBLWH

The dryer heats but sometimes it completes the automatic cycle very quickly, it's blowing cold air and the clothes are still wet. It also does not heat at all when in timed mode, the dial says this is the medium heat mode. The dial says the automatic mode is high heat.

Here's what I've done so far. Completely cleaned out the ducts to the outside of the house. I took the dryer apart and cleaned all the lint out of the blower housing, around the motor and all the lint from the back of the drum. The airstream is very strong at the vent to the outside.

I ohmed out the two lower thermostats near the blower, both have very low resistance. I ohmed out the two thermostats and the fuse near the coils, all have very low resistance. I ohmed out the heating coils, which I have replaced once already, they read about 9 ohms.

I'm not sure what else to try at this point, the timer seems to work, it does advance in auto mode. Is it possible that maybe the high limit thermostat is not tripping, then the dryer overheats and trips the safety thermostat?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Have you tried to run a load with the exhaust hose completely off, thus letting the dryer exhaust air blow directly into your laundry room just to test it?

Its not heating at all in the timed dry cycle? That makes me think you have either a bad timer or resistor board assembly.

Here's the timer for your model:
Manufacturer part number WE4X832 is RepairClinic item number 276912
WE4X832

Here's the resistor board assembly for your model:
Manufacturer part number WE4X799 is RepairClinic item number 276888
WE4X799

The high-limit thermostat's job is to just cut the heating element off if the heater gets to hot and the reason the heating element would get to hot is not sufficient air flow out the air exhaust in the back of your dryer.

The cycling thermostat should always control the heating element.

I'll ask GE Jim about this as well, see if hes run into this issue before.

Jake

dban

Premium Member
The dryer worked perfectly fine until a week ago operating into a vent system with a good bit of lint in it. I have cleaned the lint and it is blowing very nicely to the outside. The dryer is 14 yrs old, do you think it is a good investment to replace the timer, aren't they kind of expensive.

In regards to the low limit (125 deg) and high limit (135 deg) thermostats mounted near the blower. The are normally closed at room temp, what would happen if one of these did not trip at it's rated temp?

Thanks

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, if its 14 years old, thats pretty good, most dryers don't even go past 10 years nowadays.

I'd save your repair money if its the timer, yes they are high. The I linked you to above is $89.00

In regards to the low limit (125 deg) and high limit (135 deg) thermostats mounted near the blower. The are normally closed at room temp, what would happen if one of these did not trip at it's rated temp?
Then the thermal fuse would blow. Then the dryer wouldn't turn on at all.

Jake

dban

Premium Member
Ok, new dryer it is, my wife will be thrilled. If you were buying a dryer, what brand would you be looking at for best performance and reliability.

Thanks for your help

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Whirlpool or Kenmore made by Whirlpool(model# starting with 110.)

Maytag also makes a good dryer.

Jake

dban

Premium Member
Jake,
I took your advice and looked at the timer. I opened it up and noticed a few of the contacts were kind of worn/corroded. I cleaned them up as best as I could with some sandpaper, and put some small bends in the copper arms which seemed to ensure better contact. I ran the timer through its positions while checking continuity with my DMM and it seemed to work well. I put the dryer back together and now it's working great. Maybe this fix can buy me a few more years.
Thanks for your help

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, good job fixing it without ordering a new timer.:)

Jake