[FIXED] Ice dispenser not working, water dispenser works fine

ghardy7605

Premium Member
Model Number
GD5SHAXKT00
Brand
Whirlpool
I have a Whirlpool side by side Model GD5SHAXKT00, the ice dispenser has not worked since I replaced the starter/overload relay when power was restored after the tornado destruction in North Alabama this past week.

I am not sure where to start, the water dispenser works fine, icemaker works fine, but no sound or anything from the ice dispenser. Any help would be appreciated, hopefully not the $150 board to replace, money is tight in my household, if the board is bad, is it possible to find a used one?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated,
Thanks,
Greg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Greg, your model doesn't have the electronic dispenser board like some models do, so its very basic.

The most common issue when this happens on your model is the bracket support plastic switch pins break, thus no ice.

You would need to unsnap(use a flathead screwdriver in the 2 little slots underneath the bottom frame piece to unsnap it) your front dispenser frame#23 here:
http://c.searspartsdirect.com/lis_pn...1180-00008.png
Then look at your support bracket#15 to see if the little plastic pins are broken that hold your ice and water dispenser switches in place#14.

Here is the one for your model, in case you need to order it:
Manufacturer part number 2180226 is RepairClinic item number 449582

Jake <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

ghardy7605

Premium Member
Ice Dispenser

Hi Jake, thanks for the help, yes on of the pins is are broken, not sure why but it is the switch, I changed the one on the water to the ice side, and IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!

Will get a new one and limp along until I have to replace the part you suggested.

Thanks so much for the help, I have a couple of parts left over from the Starter/overload kit, I am going to list them here on the parts forum.

Thanks again for the help, saved me a pile of money.
Have a great rest of your weekend,
God Bless,
Greg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Good job Greg.:)

Jake

ghardy7605

Premium Member
Problem back again

Hi again Jake, problem has returned, could there be a problem with the switches, or a voltage problem that is causing the switches to go bad, I am definately stumped now.

Or could there be another problem that I am missing?

Thanks for the help, AGAIN.
Greg

ghardy7605

Premium Member
Problem has returned

Jake, I need your expertise again!!!!!!!!

The switch from the water dispenser worked fine for a few hours, last night went for some ice, same problem as before. Now am wondering what the problem is, switch? motor? or maybe the selection board. I took the switch and put it back on the water dispenser, it does not work, what do you think is wrong with the switches causing them not to work?

This is definitely puzzling, am at a loss at the moment, give me some idea if you will, I don't know what to do from here.

Thanks again for all the help,
Greg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
This is very strange Greg, I'm really not sure why its doing this. A power surge may have caused this when the power came back on, blew one switch, then weakened the other, and now that blew.

You can confirm this with an ohm meter to check both switches for continuity with the button on the switch pushed in.

Watch this video:

<IFRAME height=390 src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tDQ0X1LRhpg?rel=0" frameBorder=0 width=640 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

Here's the switch for your model you can order here if needed, both ice and water switches are the same, so you would order 2 of these if both test bad:
Manufacturer part number 2162361 is RepairClinic item number 445177

Jake

ghardy7605

Premium Member
ice dispenser still not working

Hi again Jake, replaced the microswitches, the mounting plate, water dispenses fine, but ice dispenser is still not working, where should I start now? How can I test the dispenser motor?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks in advance,
Greg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Greg,

Check for voltage at the dispenser motor when you activate the ice dispenser lever. Should be 120 volts.

Here's the ice dispenser motor for your model you can order here if needed:
Manufacturer's Number: 2188869

To get to that motor just remove 2 screws#35 and then the cover#33 comes off. It should be located under the liner part that the ice bucket sits on.

Jake <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

ghardy7605

Premium Member
Jake, found the problem, when the ice melted when the fridge originally quit, the water drained down the shaft into the motor, I noticed the motor cover had ice inside it, I took the motor and let it sit in the sun all day, put it in about 9pm, she worked like a champ, who would have thought about the motor being iced up?

Oh well, I guess that shows you how simple some things can be to fix huh?

Thanks for the help, I have learned a lot about ice makers this time.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, glad you found the problem.:)

Yes, simple repairs do still exist.:)

Jake