[FIXED] Ice maker malfunctioning

oldmanbob

Premium Member
Model Number
GD5RHAXNB00
Brand
Whirlpool
I have a 6 yr old Whirlpool GD5RHAXNB00 side by side fridge. The other day there was no ice coming out of the front door dispenser. A quick look inside showed no ice in the bin. I have heard no water filling the tray, as it is typically very easy to hear when it was doing so. There is no water in the ice mold bin. I am able to freely move and manually rotate (with my fingers) the ejector arm around and around. The ejector arm does seem to make a click when manually turning it to the 11 pm position. I then moved it to either side of the 11 pm position and left it be overnight to see if the arm was “timed” and if it would move around the main spindle, but each time, the arm stayed in the position I had placed it. It did not move. The ice cube holding tray was 100% empty and had no ice jamming it.
Within the freezer, I hear no movement nor water filling noises. I can still get water freely with good flow through the front of the in-door water dispenser. The water filter was replaced last month so filter should not be clogged. I tried accessing the black rubber water filler tube that extrudes about two inches from the freezer roof. (this is the one located above the water fill cup). The rubber “nozzle” seems firm but pliable. If it is frozen within, it must be further back in the ice water supply line. I also manually filled the ice mold bin with water and it froze within a couple of hours, but has not ejected yet. I may have erred as I left the rotating ejector arm in the water and it is now frozen in the ice. I wonder if the ejector arm is even supposed to be able to be turned manually.
I read the bits on the optics and infrared eye and it lights up as I believe it is supposed to. It blinks twice then pauses and repeats blinking when the door is opened. If I keep main door open but close the angled infrared receiving panel, then the infrared light stays on steady.
So I partially concluded it may be the entire assembly that needs replacing… but if so… would I not have at least seen the tray filling with water??? If so maybe then it is not the main assembly ???
I realize it may only be a part or two … i.e. motor kit or icemaker control or assembly, but if one of those more expensive parts need replacing, it may be better to replace the entire icemaker assembly in whole, and not have to trouble shoot specific parts and then have another part go out soon after replacing the current one that is malfunctioning. I also do not want to splurge on a complete assembly only to find out it is a water control valve or other non ice maker part that is causing this malfunction. Capability wise, I think replacing the entire icemaker as a whole is a easy task I can perform where trouble shooting and taking individual parts out gets more involved and may (only “may”) be more than I wish to attempt.
Any suggestions on my next step to trouble shoot or recommend would be most welcome by any of your repair pros. With my wife’s job cutback last year, we try to watch most dollars and I figure having a appliance tech would run 200 to 250 with trip charge, diagnose fee and labor and parts, versus my replacing the part, I may save 75 or so dollars. Thus I look to you for advice or guidance.
Thanks in advance for reading my lengthy post, but I wanted to provide as much background to aid in the diagnosis.
Thanks, Oldmanbob

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes Oldmanbob,

Its the ice maker module thats bad, and that module alone is almost $90, so its best to get the complete ice maker for about $35 more.

Here's the ice maker for your model you can order here:
Complete icemaker assembly

Manufacturer's Part#: 2198597

Here's the instructions TO change the ice maker assembly:

1. Remove the bucket from the door to get some room.

2. Put a piece of tape on the sensor flapper to hold it down so you won't damage it while removing the ice maker.

3. Remove the ice maker service cover door by spreading the two hinge fingers apart away from the center and the door should lift out of the slot.

4. Remove the screw in the right rear bottom side of the ice maker.

5. After removing the screw that cover should lift up from the rear and just work it out from the rear and you see the electrical harness.

6. On the left track the should be a tab toward the bottom which you need to push up.

7. Push up tab and start working the ice maker towards you pulling it out of the track.

8. Careful with the electrical harness in the back as you're pulling out.

9. Disconnect the electrical plug by lifting the clip on the plug.

10. Remove the side cover on the side module by pulling off.

11. Remove the bottom shield by removing the 3 screws on the bottom.

12. To install reverse the order as it came out.

Jake

oldmanbob

Premium Member
Thanks!

Jake, you were smack dead on.

I replaced the entire assembly and things are all set. I wanted to order from the link you provided, but delivery would have gone out until Monday and then 2-5 days for deliver, but the wife wanted ice immediately. Sears had the part and I got a discount so I only paid about $30 more with the price difference and tax included. I would have preferred to wait a week and save $30 , the boss did not.

<O:pWhen I took the old assembly out, it had parts moving about in the motor module , removal of the cover showed the gear had broken completely off the shaft. Evidently, even thought Whirlpool is well aware of a poor quality gear, (I read the service note from 2003 where they suggest that their reps replace with a high torque module). The motor module in my broken assembly (628358) was not the high torque module. Pretty sad that when Whirlpool sends out a service bulletin in 2003 to its tech, to use the high torque replacement, but sad when they continue to use the lesser quality module in a 2,000 fridge. Planned and intentional obsolescence it may be, but I call it screwing your customer base. I have always favored Whirlpool products but going forward, I may consider others brands because of this lack of customer concern…. Especially when they darn well know they have an inferior part and they have a better quality replacement part they could use. However, even 8 years later, they still make the module using the inferior quality part. <O:p
<O:p</O:p

Removal of the assembly was a breeze. Replacement was a bear. My fat fingers got in the way. I had a heck of a time trying to slide the assembly back in while also keeping the right rear cover intact over the wire connections. Also, the water fill cup seems to be about an inch higher on the replacement than the original and I had a tough time trying to flex the black rubber water tube into the fill cup... all the while still trying to slide in the assembly.
I bet you pros have a trick or two up your sleeve on how to best do this!<O:p</O:pLong story short, I seem to be all set. I have already had my first set of ice cubes dump into the door ice bin. I also used the link and went to PayPal to drop a few bucks in the tip jar just to thank you for your time… not just in my post but in all the others, of which I read that helped me decide to replace this myself instead of a service call charge from a company. <O:p</O:p

I hope others that read your posts and save many $$$ also drop a few bucks in the tip jar to thank you for your time, information, experience and effort.<O:p</O:p

Thanks again, and best regards, :)<O:p</O:p
Bob<O:p</O:p

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Bob, good job.:)

Yes, after you've replaced about 50-100 of them like I have in the last 10 years or so, It gets fairly easy to do.:)

Thanks for the tip jar donation.:)

Jake