[FIXED] Icemaker auger motor won't turn

chamounixalicat

Premium Member
Model Number
FRS26ZNHW3
Brand
Frigidaire
Someone who lives in my house (!) left the freezer door ajar and the ice in the bin kind of froze into a clump -- i discovered this when ice would not dispense.

I successfully broke up the clumped ice so that the augur will turn manually, but when you activate the dispenser automatically, you hear a noise but the auger doesn't turn.

Does the auger motor need to be re-set or something? I wonder if it shut itself down to prevent burnout (because it had been unable to turn the auger due to the clumped ice).

Thanks!

Chris

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Chris,

Take the ice bin out again, then use a hair dryer on the auger motor for awhile, the auger motor made have frozen water condensation that re-froze in it.

Let us know if the hair dryer does the trick.

Jake

chamounixalicat

Premium Member
hey jake,
i held the hair dryer up to the u-shaped metal claw that's sticking out from a white panel, which i gather engages with the auger. i got the claw good and hot but it still doesn't turn. there's still a noise when i close the door and press the 'crush ice' lever, so something's still alive.

there are about half a dozen screws on the white panel surrounding the claw. any benefit to removing them? looks like i have to remove one or two on the top of the white panel too....

chris

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, on your model I looked up the auger motor, and it comes as a assembly with the tracks and all.

You just need to remove the screws that hold the track assembly and the back assembly in, and remove the quick connect electrical connector and everything should come out as 1 piece.

Manufacturer part number 5304462594 is RepairClinic item number 1261523

Jake<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

chamounixalicat

Premium Member
OK i got the screws out but how does the quick connect cable disengage? do i need to (a) pinch the 'plug' end the pull...(b) pry open some sort of tabs on the 'socket' end, then pull...or (c) use brute force to yank the thing out?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, the connector should just pull out, you may need to pry it out as some are in tight. I'm not sure if it has tabs.

Jake

chamounixalicat

Premium Member
FIXED! for future reference....the socket does indeed have a little tab/loop you have to lift in order to remove the plug end.

and, for other people: i simply left the motor/tray unit on the kitchen counter for a couple hours so it would warm up, and the condensation dried off.....back in bizness!

thank you jake.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Chris, good job.:)

Jake