[FIXED] Loud Noise on Whirlpool Side by Side

adm793

Premium Member
I have a Whirlpool ED5RHEXNL00 Side by Side. Twice in the last two weeks the refrigerator starts to make a very loud vibrating noise. Each time I unplugged the unit and plugged it back in and it continued to work. Any ideas, the fridge is about 4 years old.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Is it still running when it does this? You will likely need to pull the refrigerator out from the wall and take off the lower back access panel to pinpoint where its going from before you unplug it.

Jake

adm793

Premium Member
From what I can tell it is still running. But to be honest, I have not really taken the time to fully inspect the fridge when it starts making the noise. The thing becomes so loud that I think its going to start falling apart. When I unplugged it the first time, I figured it was done, but decided to plug it back in before moving all of the food to the other fridge and it worked without making a sound. The first time was about a week ago and then it did it again today. I will listen for it again and see if it duplicates the issue. Thanks for the reply.

-Andre

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, it could be a number of things causing this to happen, so pinpointing it would narrow down where the noise is coming from.

Jake

adm793

Premium Member
Okay so the frequency picked up a little (4:40 this morning). :cool:

It is definitely the small fan thats in that area. I could see that it was out of balance and as soon as I put my finger on the center of the fan the noise would go away.

My next question: Can I unplug this fan till I pick up a new one? Later today if possible.

-Andre

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Is it the condenser fan that sits in the back of your refrigerator next to your compressor?

Here’s the condenser fan motor for your model you can order:
Manufacturer’s Number: W10124096

Jake

adm793

Premium Member
That was the part, a local store had it in stock. Just got it changed out and all is good. I appreciate all of the help.

-Andre

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, good job Andre.:)

Jake