FIXED: M1XR504T6FBN5 Pilot light keeps going out

John II

Premium Member
Model Number
M1XR504T6FBN5
Brand
I have a Bradford White Defender gas water heater. Over Memorial Day weekend, we stopped having hot water. I thought that I would have to buy a new water heater. After a couple of days, I decided to see if the pilot light had gone out and tried re-light it on Memorial Day. It relit and we had hot water until this morning. I tried to relight the pilot but have not been able to do so. Both times that the pilot has gone out we had fairly heavy rain. Each time there has been some water in the catch pan that that the water heater sits in. The pan has a drain pipe so it never fills up. There is also water outside of the pan. Are there any ideas as to why the pilot goes out? Why won't it relight? I don't see any leak in the ceiling. Could water be coming down the vent pipe?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Could water be coming down the vent pipe?
That sounds like what's happening to me too.

It won't relight at all now? Do you hear gas coming out when you press that red button when you light the pilot?

Jake

John II

Premium Member
It won't relight but it just quit raining. I can't hear gas but that area is sealed. I did see it light once and go out. I'm going up on the roof tomorrow to see if there is a leak in the vent.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes,

Try and relight it today since its stopped raining, and let us know what you find after you go up to the roof and check your vent.

Jake

John II

Premium Member
I've tried a few times to relight it today without success, but it took about 3 days for it to dry out the last time. The top of the vent cap has blown off and rain can go straight down the pipe.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Did you replace the top vent cap so this doesn't happen anymore?

Jake

John II

Premium Member
I have someone coming out because it's on a part of the roof where I'm not comfortable climbing. It's not suppose to rain for a few days. I get the pilot to light but once I release what I call the "primer" button. I hold it down for over a minute but when I release it, the pilot goes out.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Then it sounds like you need to replace the thermocouple.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Its fairly easy to do, Youtube has videos that show you how.:)

I was able to replace it and the pilot lit. The burner came on.
Excellent, good job.:)

Jake