• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

[FIXED] No water in the ice maker...

CFDBattChief

Premium Member
We have a Kitchenaid KSRP25FNSS00. The other day, my son went to get some ice in a glass from the dispensor, and a minute or two later there was water pouring out of the freezer. We pulled the fridge out and shut the water supply off to the fridge. We cleaned up the mess, and I let a day or two pass before deciding to troubleshoot it.

I printed off the In-Door Ice System service manual, found as a link to a pdf file on another thread here, and have done the optics test. Status of the lights now are: 2 blinks then a pause, repeated. With the flapper closed, a solid red light.

The black water tube has frozen on us before, so I checked that, and it appears to be fine. I have pulled the motor assembly out, jumped the T and the H, and have seen it cycle, removing the jumper prior to the 10 o'clock position. However no water is dispensed into the tray.

I removed the cover from the bottom rear of the fridge and found the solenoids. The one for the ice machine had a strange plug of the plastic casing stuck to the side of the solenoid... it looked kinda like squeezing toothpaste from the tube and letting it curl and loop as it comes out. The plastic "squirt" stuck to the side of the solenoid was of the same color as the plastic housing for this solenoid, and when broken off from the housing, and small hole is now visible.

With water coming out of the water dispenser on the front of the fridge just fine when you place a glass up to it, and no water coming into the ice machine, I would assume, based on the troubleshooting I have done, that it appears to be a problem with the solenoid. If I wanted to test the solenoid, is it fairly easy to tell if it works if I use a jumper from an outlet and put 120v to it? Would you also believe the issue to be with the solenoid? I would just like to buy the right part the first time to get ice moving again into my ice bucket.

BR, the fireman

Last edited:

ApplianceJunk

Appliance Tech
The one for the ice machine had a strange plug of the plastic casing stuck to the side of the solenoid... it looked kinda like squeezing toothpaste from the tube and letting it curl and loop as it comes out. The plastic "squirt" stuck to the side of the solenoid was of the same color as the plastic housing for this solenoid, and when broken off from the housing, and small hole is now visible.

I have seen this before on bad solenoids.

I would assume, based on the troubleshooting I have done, that it appears to be a problem with the solenoid.

I believe you are correct.

is it fairly easy to tell if it works if I use a jumper from an outlet and put 120v to it?

Yes, you will hear the valve open and water flow to the ice maker.

A easy way to jump power to it is use the plug from the solenoid next to it. They maybe different size spade connectors, but if you have to you can have someone just hold the plug to the solenoid for the ice maker and someone else trip the water in the door switch so you get power to it.

CFDBattChief

Premium Member
Thank you!!

John,
Thank you for the reply. Yeh, that's what I thought was kinda strange about my findings. It did not appear to be a factory mold tag that didn't get cut off or anything like that.

And I will certainly try your idea of jumping the power from the adjacent solenoid. Great idea!

I would still appreciate anyone else's feedback on this in the meantime. I will post on here what my findings are, but it may be the weekend til I can get to testing it.

BR

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

CFDBattChief

Premium Member
Thank you!

Thanks Jake!

When I looked at the solenoid module yesterday, the water lines have a connection on them that I believe you are supposed to separate the thin plastic piece from the connector by pulling away from the connection. Mine broke when I tried this, so there is nothing left to pull on.

Am I attempting to disconnect the water lines correctly? And if so, with the plastic flange broken off now, how would you suggest disconnecting the water line from the solenoid assembly?

If I end up replacing the water valve/solenoid assembly, I will need to disconnect the water lines. I have seen where the new kit comes with some more tubing. I hope that the kit will have everything I need in the event I have to cut the water lines off of the old valve assembly.

Rhett

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Here's the water inlet valve for your model:
Manufacturer's Number: 4389177
show

show

See the little blue and yellow rings where the water tubing goes into the valve? You have to push-in on those rings while pulling the tubing out.

The main water supply line from your home goes into the filter first, then it goes into the back blue ring next to the metal bracket mounting bracket.

Jake<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

CFDBattChief

Premium Member
Got it!

Thank you again, Jake. I kinda wanted to have the part for this weekend, so I went by an appliance parts dealer very close to the fire station I work at, and they had it. With the discount I was given, I spent $44 on the part. And I understand now, thanks to your reply, that you push in on the ring while pulling the tubing out. It sure helps if you know what you are doing, :).

I will replace the part this weekend. Membership to this blog site has been the best $5 I have spent in a very long time! I am sure the members really appreciate what you experts do on here for us.

Rhett

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks Rhett.:)

Keep us posted.

Jake

CFDBattChief

Premium Member
Fixed!!!

Jake & John,
Thank you for all of your help. I replaced the water valve and we're back to making ice again! And the tubing comes out of the fitting much easier if you know how the fittings work, :D. This was a great opportunity to clean out the underside of the fridge, too. It's amazing how much dust and junk piles up on the coils.

You guys are great!

Rhett
CFDBattChief
Iron Station, NC

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Rhett, good job.:)

Jake