[FIXED] Not Draining and terrible grinding noise

tmatthewpiper

Premium Member
Model
DU920PWKT0
Brand
Whirlpool
Hi Jake, Have you worked much on the Whirlpool QuietMaster 1?

Our dishwasher went through & we heard this terrible grinding sound & the water won't drain.

A glass cup recently broke and we didn't find all the pieces to it (go figure...). I've taken the water out and taken the lower spray arm off to see if the glass piece or anything else is clogged down there but didn't find anything.

I can't get under the drain holes though to see if anythings slipped down there. (unless I remove the filter module I believe it's called.)
Should I try wrenching it apart? Check a drain line?

I found the manual online if it helps: http://shared.whirlpoolcorp.com/assets/pdfs/literature/Use and Care Guide - 3385281.pdf

Any help would be very much appreciated.
Thank you so much!
Matthew

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Matthew,

Here's the parts diagram for the pump assembly, once you unscrew the plastic wash arm nut that holds the lower spray arm in place, then you remove the spray arm, then remove all the #3 screws that hold #14 in place, then you will see the upper impeller#11, and remove the impeller screw#12, then remove the 4 #10 screws, then the filter#9 will lift up and out:

The hardest part is getting the impeller screw out.

Jeff explains here how to do it:
Motor and pump assebly repair and disassemly help

Jake

tmatthewpiper

Premium Member
Jeff, you are a lifesaver! Thanks so much for the knowledge! We're going to try to get it out tonight.

Blessings,
Matthew
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad to help Matthew, keep us posted.:)

Jake

tmatthewpiper

Premium Member
I just remembered that I never came posted my final results and with that a thanks!
It was one of the first completely succesful DIY projects we've done involving an appliance & it was because of you we were able to do it. That diagram helped a ton and kept us on the right trail to completely disassembling the whole thing.
Thanks again for taking the time to help a lost stranger!
Matthew Thomas

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Mathew, good job fixing it.:)

Jake