FIXED: NX58F5500SS Samsung gas range control panel not responding

nbenitez

Premium Member
Model
NX58F5500SS
Brand
Samsung
We have a Samsung free-standing gas range model NX58F5500SS. The problem is that the control panel buttons are not responding. By the way, the “control panel lock” function is not enabled.

Tried the following:

[1] Check the outlet voltages between Hot, Neutral, and Ground. Hot is about 120V from Ground/Neutral. No voltage between Ground and Neutral.

[2] Very little resistance between Ground and the gas range chassis.

[3] Unplug the oven for a time and then plug it again. The display shows the words “Cook Time” for a minute or so, and then it displays the clock. After a few minutes, it goes back to displaying “Cook Time”, a minute passes, and then back to the clock. It does this over and over. While all this happens, the control panel buttons are unresponsive. Every once in a while, after unplugging and re-plugging the unit, everything looks normal for a while (buttons respond to touch) and then it goes back to the “Cook Time” loop. If we leave the range unplugged for a few hours, then as soon as we plug it in, all the display segments light up before going into the “Cook Time” loop.

[4] Disconnect the ribbon cable between the control panel and the printed circuit board (PCB). After plugging the range back in, we get a flashing clock but no “Cook Time”. Of course, the control panel is no longer connected to the PCB so the buttons are unresponsive.

[5] We replaced the PCB thinking it was the culprit but the problem remained.

At this point we are thinking about replacing the control panel. Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
--
Nelson

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
The problem sounds like it's in the keypad. Try removing the keytail and cleaning the ends with a pencil eraser then make sure it seated in the connector.
DG34-00025A Switch MEMBRANE

nbenitez

Premium Member
Rick,
Thanks for the speedy answer. Good suggestion. Unfortunately, I cleaned the contact points and the problem remains.

Let me know if you can think of anything else. Will try replacing the keypad next.

Thanks!

--
Nelson

alleycat17

Premium Member
Samsung stove NX58F5500SS

Awesome! Well done.
Hey Rick, It sounds like I'm having a similar problem. On my keypad, I'm having a problem with some of the number not working when setting the timer. Also when setting the cook temp. some of the numbers on the keypad don't work. I was thinking it was the keypad that needed to be replaced. Tried unplugging for awhile to no avail, and figured I'd check here to see if it could be anything else.
Allan

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Allan,

Rick's computer monitor went out, he should be back tomorrow.

But I'd say yes, order the same Keypad assembly Rick posted above, it should fix yours too.:)

Jake

rickgburton

Staff member
OK, the problem is in the control then. If you got the keypad from the link I gave you, you can return it for a full refund less shipping. Here's the control:
Control Board DE92-02588G
Control-Board-DE92-02588G--04722397.jpg

Sakula

It was the keypad. Replaced it and now everything is working fine.

Thanks,

--
Nelson
Hi Nelson,

Can you show me where and what is the detail of keypad did you buy to replace it? I had the same Range model and problem like you.

Thank you,

--
Sakula

alleycat17

Premium Member
Sakura,
If you go back in the thread posts you'll see the part number From Rick, I also replaced the control board and mine is working fine.
Al

SW_Coach

We have the same model of Samsung range. The display on ours is completely blank with no display. We still have power going to the igniters for the stove top, but display is out and cannot use the oven. Any suggestions? Thanks.

rickgburton

Staff member
Look on the back of the board for the L1 connector (should be marked on the board) Measure the voltage between L1 and N. If the voltage is 120 VAC replace the ERC.

qbarrel

Premium Member
We are also having the same issue with our 3 year old NX58H5600SS. AT first, it was displaying the -SE- error on the display. It was doing this intermittently, so sometimes the keys would work fine. After looking up the causes, it sounded to me like a bad keypad.

I replaced the keypad and it still kept displaying the same error. However this time, the error code never went away, nor did the keys ever work - even after reseating the ribbon cable several times, to no avail.

Next up, I figured it was the PCB. So I replaced this also - no difference at all. It is still displaying the -SE- error and none of the keys respond.

Is there anything else here this could possibly be? Could it be the harness? It doesn't seem like this could be the cause to me, but I'm not an expert. Is it possible that the replacement keypad is defective?

rickgburton

Staff member

qbarrel

Premium Member
That's the one. Of course now that it's already been installed and adhered to the subplate I won't be able to return it. I hate to keep throwing money down the hole here, but it might be prudent to order another one. I guess the PCB could be returned though.

Is there anything else you can think of that it might be?