[FIXED] Starts/Won't Stay On

ejh

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
This a a 'Kenmore Elite' series. The problem is that the dryer will 'start' when the 'Puch to Start' switch is pressed, but it will not stay on. However, it will stay on (rotate, circulate air, heat, etc) when the switch is held in. :confused: I figured it was just the switch, but replacing that did not solve the problem (cost $10 oh well):eek:. I suspect a relay or some other switch mechanism might be shot. I don't don't have a schematic and I didn't want to start gutting the unit to trouble shoot with out some advice or lessons learned. Thanks in advance for any assistance:) Ed

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Ed,

Its either the motor relay or control board.

The Sears site is down now, but here's a general overview of this issue.

Lets first swap the motor & heat relay's they are the same identical part#.

Here's how you get access to your inside console:

Then the console lifts up and tilts back on its hinges.

Unplug your dryer first.

On your model they are #36 & #41 here:
http://c.searspartsdirect.com/lis_pn...0183-00001.png

Then plug your dryer back in and see if it stays on, if it does, then you found the problem.:)

Here's the motor & heater relay for your model you can order:
Manufacturer's Number: 3405281

Let us know what happens.

Jake <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

ejh

Premium Member
Jake you were spot on with your advice. It was the relay, and once replaced (10 minutes) it works perfectly!!!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Ed, good job.:)

Jake

mailtocglist

Excellent Ed, good job.:)

Jake
Jake - resurrecting this thread.
I had a similar problem last year and changing the relays fixed it. Unfortunately a few days back I had the same problem. I assumed it was the relays again and changed them. It didn't help this time.

Googling around I found that it might be either the motor or the control board (didn't see anything fried on the board).
Could it be something else ?

The reason I am asking is because the dryer is almost 10 years old and don't know whether it makes sense to change the motor ($145) or the control board ($175) rather than going for a new one ??

Thanks

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

We need the full model number of yours.

Click here: Appliance Parts at RepairClinic. 125 Brands. 365 Day Returns.

Then you will see a link that says: Help me find my model number.

If no signs of burnt spots on the even heat control board, then If you have a volt meter capable of reading dc and ac voltage you can test the motor relay.

Plug in and be careful please!!! turn timer to any run function and press start. You'll see the relay with two pink wires and two blue wires. First, check for approx. 48 Volts DC across those two pink wires. This means you have power coming out of the even heat control board. If you don't have 48 volts dc across the pinks, you have a bad even heat control board.

If you do, proceed by turning the meter to check AC and checking voltage on the blues. one probe on one blue wire and find a green wire attached to cabinet (ground) other probe there. Should read 120 V AC If you do, check the other blue wire in reference to ground, you should read 120 V AC there too.

If you have 120 ac on both blues to ground, that means your relay is closed.

If 120 only on one blue to ground, you have a bad relay. hope this helps.

Jake