• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

[FIXED] Stupid Kitchenaid Ice Maker

suzqlarsen

Premium Member
My Stupid Kitchenaid Ice Maker on the model KSRG25FKW04 is about to be assaulted by my husband.

The ice maker has a very small amount of water in it and it seems to freeze and thaw and that's it. It did kick out one cycle of mini cubes but that's all. I have tried to see if the black tube is obstructed but can't get anything up it beyond about 1 1/2"s. (Is that a sign?) Not sure of whether to force it or not have tried wire and small tubing. The freezer compartment is very cold. We had ice clog up the dispenser which I don't think had anything to do with it. Water dispenser works fine. Also removed the filter to see if that mattered which it didn't. :confused:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I have tried to see if the black tube is obstructed but can't get anything up it beyond about 1 1/2"s. (Is that a sign?)
Yes, you should be able to run something up in it alot further than that, get a hair dryer and blow it up in that black rubber tube to see if water starts dripping out more to unclog it completely.

I use a evaporator cooler spider snake:
http://www.azpartsmaster.com/Products/Cooler-Spider-Snake__CLR4690.aspx

They are used basically in Arizona to clean out the water pump tubes that run to the cooler pads.

I don't know if they would sell them in your area, but if you go to your local hardware store, they should have something similar to run down up that to clean it completely out.
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Let me know what happens.

Jake

suzqlarsen

Premium Member
Stupid Kitchenaid icemaker

Ran a wire up the black tube about a foot and a half and no water yet. Could it be the valve on the back or would it affect the water in the door. Will try to pull refrigerator out from the wall and check the initial hook up. Maybe try to blow through the tube to see if it is blocked inside the machine.

Would it be helpful to turn it off and let the unit warm up in case the water in the tube is frozen, or would the water through the dispenser be frozen too.

Is there any way to get around the white part of the icemaker that is in front of the black tube?

suzqlarsen

Premium Member
After taking the water line off and checking to make sure there were no obstructions. Husband removed the water supply valve and took it in to have the solenoids checked they were OK.

Am wondering if this could be the emiter and receiver and if so - how the heck do you get to them. Is there a schematic available? Will search other blogs too.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, first try this, get a cup or container and pour water into the ice maker tray and make sure all the cube slots are full(but don't overfill them), then see if after a couple hours it dumps that ice, then report back what happens.

Jake

suzqlarsen

Premium Member

OK, did fill up the slots at about 4:30 PT and as of 7:30 they haven't dumped but are frozen.

What does that mean?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Give it some more time, what position are the ejector blades in? Pointing at you as your looking at it from the front? Or slightly pointing above you? Or pointing down in the ice maker tray?

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

suzqlarsen

Premium Member

Morning has come and when I opened the freezer door there were zero lights. Came back an hour later and it is doing the two blinks, pause, two blinks series, flapper door closed = solid red.

Thanks for aiming me at the previous thread, if I wasn't so frustrated I "MIGHT" have found it myself.

As with one of the previous posters - now my garage door opener is acting up.....UGH!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad to help.:)

Ok, then it sounds like the optics are intermittently malfunctioning, you can order the optics kit from the from the first post in that thread.:)

Wish I could help you with the garage door opener, but don't know anything about those.

Jake

suzqlarsen

Premium Member

I'm back!
After ordering and installing new optics, the problem continued. Ordered and installed new icemaker unit still no water, no ice! Does it take a while for the new ice maker to cycle or should it start up immediately?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, give it 24 hours.

Jake

Klink

Premium Member
So what fixed this problem? I am having the same issue. I opened the freezer and the cubes were stuck in the try and the fingers were stuck at about 5-6 position. I thawed everything out and pulled the module off and and manually rotated the fingers to about 10. The water filled the cube tray. The LED on the door was working when I went to bed. I wake up this morning and the fingers are still at 10 and the cubes are frozen in the tray. The LED's are working. Go back 15 min later and the LED's are off. Wait 5 min and they are back on. I would replace the optics but I noticed that did not work for this guy, neither did a new ice maker. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Jake?

Klink

Premium Member
One more thing. My manual came with some supplemental trouble shooting for the ice maker and is says to jumper between terminals to force certain things to work and I can't get that to work. Since the motor is 120v I hooked it directly to 120v source and it does turn. Any idea?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, suzqlarsen didn't reply back after I said to wait 24 hours, let see if he replies back now, if not I will email him.

On yours Klink, it sounds more like your ice maker is malfuntioning itself rather than the optics since the motor didn't run when you put 120 volts to it.

Is yours the exact same model# as suzqlarsen?

Jake

Klink

Premium Member
My motor does run if hooked directly to a 120v source.

If I jumper between the "T" and "H" to force a harvest nothing happens.

My optical LED will flash sometimes like it is suppose to and sometimes it is just off completely. It changes every 15 min or so.

I have model KSRP25FNSSOO.

Thanks for your input Jake!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
When using the jumper wire on T & H you have to push-in on your freezer light switch and hold the flapper closed on the left side of your freezer, and don't block the laser beam from the right side. Then give it about 60 seconds before the ice maker motor starts moving, then pull the jumper out after about 5 seconds once the motor starts moving, while continuing to hold in the light switch and flapper.

Ok, since your ice maker motor did move with 120 volts applied, yours may be the optics thats bad.

Jake

Klink

Premium Member
T & H jumpered flapper closed and light switch closed. Still nothing.

Do you have any idea what the voltage should be across the 4 wires that connect to the maker? I am only getting about 30 -35 volts. I know the motor is a 120v motor so I was not sure if I should be getting 120 or not.

If the optics are bad would the jumper test work?

Klink

Premium Member
I read in a previous post to jumper N & V and check voltage at the water valve and I get 0. I cannot get 120v anywhere with the ice maker. Fuse is good. If I check voltage across the wires in the plug I get 30-35v. If I check voltage between each wire and the chassis I get 0 for everything except the black. Black to chassis I get 30-35v. I am pulling my hair out here.