[FIXED] Whirlpool Side by Side not cooling

odella22

Premium Member
Model Number
ED5LTAXVL
Brand
Whirlpool
I have a side by side with the water filter light flashing green, the freezer side is cold by the Fidg side is warm. The condenser fan is working and so is the evaporator fan. There ice build up on the coils but not over flowing at this time. Have not been able to find anywhere on the Web what the green flashing light means, and it is not because the filter needs to be change, that has been done. I also cleaned the coils at the base of the refrigerator. Could it be a control switch or the defrost switch?

Thanks ahead for any help!!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, there should be no ice/frost build-up whatsoever on the evaporator coils, normal would be just a thin layer of frost on all of them.

So that leads me to believe you have a auto defrost part thats bad, thus the blinking green light and the no cooling issue.

You can force a defrost cycle, you should have a tech. data sheet behind your lower front kickplate grill that shows you how to do it. Once its in defrost leave it there and feel for heat at the bottom of your evaporator coils in the freezer.

Let us know what you find.

Jake

odella22

Premium Member
I replaced the defrost switch this morning n when i powered it back up there was no Flashing Green light. Put all the shelves back in and then the Flashing Green light came back. So its not the Defrost limit switch as it is new. Going to try and force the defrost cycle as u suggested and check for heat.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, do the forced defrost, but its beginning to could like its possibly the auto-defrost control board.

Jake

odella22

Premium Member
Cooling problems

would the Auto Defrost Control Board be the same as the "Control Board" listed at Repairclinic.com?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I need to see the link to it.

Also I need your complete model#, your missing some of it. Click here to locate it.

Jake

odella22

Premium Member
Whirlpool not cooling

ED5LTAXVL00 is the full model number listed

Control Board (part #1450346) from RepairClinic.com

also, its been 3 days now since I replace the defrost bi-metal switch and no ice build up on the coils, but the green water filter light still flashing and the refrig keeping a temp of about 30 deg.

Thanks Jake!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yup, thats the one for your model.

Thats odd the green light is still flashing, then it must be a bad defrost board causing that light to keep flashing.

30 degrees? Thats a little to cold for the refrigerator section, is it freezing any items in your refrigerator section?

Jake

odella22

Premium Member
Update

Ok ran the Force Auto defrost per instructions located in the service page and nothing happened. No heat at all and after running for a few days now i can see the ice forming on the coils. Should I test the heating element or is it safe to say at this point it is the Temperature Control unit? Also adjusted Temp to its now 35deg.

Thanks!!

btrossman

Premium Member
Damper problem?

Jake,
I'm not a repair guy, but I just went through solving a problem on my unit - bad evaporator thermistor, so I now have a bunch of "experience" !

If the freezer is cold and operating properly, but the fridge is warm, then wouldn't it be the damper that is not working?

Odella, there is nothing in the fresh food side of a side by side that cools, rather, all of the cooling happens in the evaporator that is located in the freezer side. There is a small door on the top that lets the cold freezer air pass through into the refrigerator side. The door is controlled by a thermistor in the fridge.

I'd suggest checking the resistance levels on all the thermistors coming back to the board if you have an ohmmeter, it is pretty simple... Your wiring diagram should tell you about what the expected readings should be.

I'll keep an eye on this post to see what Jake says...

Good luck.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks btrossman, but his is a different problem than you had.

Ok odella22, yes ohm test your defrost heater. Unplug your refrigerator first.

Here's the defrost heater for your model:
Manufacturer part number 2188175 is RepairClinic item number 452192

Watch this video to test it:

<IFRAME title="YouTube video player" height=390 src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/311BiD76iYg?rel=0" frameBorder=0 width=640 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

If the defrost heater tests fine, then its the defrost control board for sure thats bad.

Jake

odella22

Premium Member
whirlpool green light flashing

Well we can put a fork in this one guys. Its Done!!
I ordered a new Control Board and replaced the old one and the water filter light stop flashing green. The refrigerator is working great now, both sides cooling as they should. For those of you with this model Whirlpool, the control board in locate at top by the green filter light. Had to remove a cover plate, which "popped-out" then 2 screws at front and 2 more at back inside the frig. Remove 2 screws from the control board and remove connectors. Reverse to order to complete install.

Thanks all!! :3:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, so it was the control board you listed in your post#7 on the 1st page of this thread.

Good job.:)

Jake