• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

    ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

    Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

    From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

    Jake

Fixing - Any hazardous components in a microwave

LandoC

Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2010
Messages
1
Location
nyc
Model Number
ANY
Brand
-major brand-
Age
1-5 years
Hey all - I have a question - are there any hazardous components in a microwave that you should watch out for when fixing?
 

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Oct 10, 2004
Messages
23,600
Location
Ontario, Canada
Hi,

are there any hazardous components in a microwave that you should watch out for when fixing?
Yes!
Always remember Electricity is dangerous and should be treated with respect.
Microwaves are very dangerous, they can still shock you even unplugged!! These pages are to help give you indications of what might be wrong and some safe "how to check" or repair help.

Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it. With the microwave unplugged.
This is a common way to do this....
jeff.​
 
Top