• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FLSG72GCS9 Frigidaire Dryer problem bearing

sillyrib

Premium Member
Model Number
FLSG72GCS9
Brand
Frigidaire
Frigidaire model FLSG72GCS9. I hope someone can help me because I'm at my wits end trying to fix this thing. The dryer would not turn when I tried switching it on one day. I took the front off and the felt and glides were all messed up. I ordered them and it took quite some time to take them off. The glue was heaped on after what I assume were a few of the same repair. I ended up using as wire rotating brush on a driver. I glued the two pieces on but ended up stretch the felt a little too much and had extra that I snipped off.

I reinstalled the drum and after 10 minutes it started to rumble periodically. I turned it off. an hour later I restarted it and after 10-15 minutes it started to rumble again getting noticeably louder the longer I let it go.

I ordered a rear drum bearing and new belt (no drum rollers on this unit). The bearing I got had a defect in that the bearing had an outie dimple instead of an inner dimple for it to seat with the ball bearing. I installed it anyways. It started rumbling again after a few minutes. I took out the new bearing and reinstalled the old one since it did not look like it was worn out. same result rumbling.

When I finally got the belt I installed it with along with a new pulley since the old pulley had a crack in the wheel. This time it went for about 15 minutes but the rumbling/shaking was very loud and started quite abruptly with a squeak in the background.

I currently have a new rear bearing on order but do not hope that this will fix it. I thought for sure the new pulley and belt would fix the problem. After it runs for a while can the old bearing seize up and cause the rumbling? But when I installed the new one it did the same thing (although it has a defect)?

I got the new bearing but it also has a protrusion at the end. It is kind of rough. I emailed 3 amazon sellers. 2 said there should be a hole and 1 said there is a protrusion. I called appliance repair parts and they said it doesn't matter if its out or in. Can someone with experience here give the correct answer?

I apologize for the long post but I really want to figure this thing out.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
I glued the two pieces on but ended up stretch the felt a little too much and had extra that I snipped off .... I reinstalled the drum and after 10 minutes it started to rumble periodically
Here's the problem. Don't stretch the felt and don't cut any off. Make sure you install it correctly. It's easy to install it backwards. After gluing the felt, wait 24 hours for the glue to cure before running the dryer regardless of the instructions on the glue.

sillyrib

Premium Member
The upper felt glide went on fine, it was the lower white felt that after I glued it on there was about a 1/4" extra that I snipped off so it would not overlap the glide. Do you think this could be causing some sort of issue?

rickgburton

Staff member
Well, It doesn't sound like a bearing. Make sure the blower wheel is tight on the motor shaft and there's no wobble. Check the plastic part of the drum that rides on the glides.

sillyrib

Premium Member
Well, It doesn't sound like a bearing. Make sure the blower wheel is tight on the motor shaft and there's no wobble. Check the plastic part of the drum that rides on the glides.
The foam had deteriorated between the fan and the blower connected to the door so I removed it and glued on some 1" sq foam around it so it is fitting snung. The fan turns the drum smoothly and there is no wobble. I have cleared the vents. The 3 plastic pieces are brand new and look fine. I do notice there seems to be a slight rust color on the new felt on one side.
I just do not understand why it runs smoothly for 15 minutes and then suddenly starts rumbling. If I turn it off and restart right away then it starts rumbling right away. If I restart an hour later it waits 15 minutes before rumbling again. So I have to assume it has to do with the dryer heating up. The back of the drum where the bearing sits is very hot to the touch.

rickgburton

Staff member
it has to do with the dryer heating up.
Try it on air fluff, no heat. Remove the top panel from the dryer and get something to stand on. You should be able to tell what the problem from there.

sillyrib

Premium Member
I pushed on the rear vent pipe and the rumbling ceased. I removed the vent hose from the back of the dryer and the rumbling noise went away. The vent hose seems a little long and I am wondering if it was crimping when I pushed the dryer into the closet. I put the hose back on and the rumbling is gone. I don't know exactly what I did other than maybe push the vent exhaust around a little. Been running for 1 hour and the rumbling has not come back. Feel I may have wasted a lot of time and money for a simple nudge.

sillyrib

Premium Member
Rumbling returned right after I posted last message turned off hasn't back yet.....
huge rumble at end then the dryer ran ok again for a while.
It must have something to do with the venting maybe a clog which seizes up the fan? When I remove the vent hose it runs fine. Problem is I have no way to get to the vent from the outside 3 stories up and have run a vacuum from the inside. Guess a venter router of some kind?

Nevermind, started rumbling even with the vent hose off

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Seems like its the motor bearing doesn't it rick?

Take the belt off the idler pulley and the motor pulley and turn the motor shaft both ways and see if it turns rough. Also see if you have any play on the motor shaft.

In fact leave the belt off and start the dryer and let the motor run on its own.

Jake

rickgburton

Staff member
Do what Jake says. It could be the motor bearing. Any lint build up around the blower?

sillyrib

Premium Member
I ran it without the belt attached for an hour and it ran smooth on high heat. Put the belt back on and the rumbling started right away. I notice the ball bearing spinning on the back. Is it supposed to spin around? All the lint has been cleaned out. When i manually spin the fan the drum rotates smooth as well as the motor shaft. Before the felt glides seized up the spinning of the drum I never had this rumbling issue.

sillyrib

Premium Member
I took it apart and replaced the drum bearing again. I remember the rear felt that's stapled on was loose at the ends the first time I did this and so I tucked it in because it was exposed to the exhaust. I undid the tuck so that it would be like it was.

I think it has something to do with the drum not being centered so that the left side has no gap and the right side has a large gap between the lower felt(not the back felt or drum guide) and the spinning drum. I leveled the machine but no matter how much I tilt it, the drum does not tilt over to center. I think the rubbing eventually causes it to start banging around.

Is there any way to get the drum centered? Can you shift over the door and front panel?

It seems to be running ok but when I restarted it the machine would run then shut off after hearing like an electrical buzz. I shifted the drum around again and it stopped doin it. At least the rumbling has not returned yet.

sillyrib

Premium Member
The drum will not turn with a load in it now. If I spin the drum to help it get started then it shuts off a few seconds later.. This is neverending.

sillyrib

Premium Member
wondering if the motor bearing were causing the rumble? When I turn the motor without the belt should it spin easily and continue spinning when I take my hand off? It requires some effort to turn it by hand.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

sillyrib

Premium Member
Replaced the motor today and that appears to have fixed the problem. Shout out to everyone who helped me out. Feel like I replaced everything in the machine. The hardest part of swapping the motor was removing the fan and blower housing. Lots of hidden screws and the fan does not come off easy. You have to remove the housing in order to get to the front retaining clip on the motor plus they make you buy a whole new housing when you buy the motor even though the one I had was fine.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Fantastic.(y)

Jake