• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FLSG72GCS9 Frigidaire Dryer problem bearing

sillyrib

Premium Member
Fail. After a few hours the rumbling is back. Someone mentioned this could be caused by microfractures in the fan blade that expand when it heats up. Is this a possibility?
The last possibility is this all started after I put the felt and drum glide on. I remember overstretching the felt so that I had to snip off the felt off about a 1/4". I wonder if this is causing the drum to distort when it heats up? I notice the felt has burn rubbing marks on the left side where it is touching the drum. The other side has a gap.

Last edited:

sillyrib

Premium Member
When I press on the rear ball bearing the noise goes away. starts immediately after I let go.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Well, you needed the motor anyways if the motor shaft was hard to turn.

When I worked at Montgomery Ward and Sears whenever we replaced the front felt assembly we would ALWAYS replace the rear bearing assembly too, as that usually is the cause of the front felt assembly to go bad.

So, i'd replace the rear bearing assembly if I was you, that should solve it.

Here's the rear bearing kit for your model you can order(Video Included):
Drum Bearing 5303281153

Look at the price of the rear bearing assembly, it used to be $55 now its only $16.:)

Jake

sillyrib

Premium Member
I have already swapped the bearing assembly out a couple of times. I noticed the rumbling would go away whenever I pressed against the rear panel or ball bearing. I think I am pushing the drum to the front and the rumbling is from the drum touching something in the back. I removed the drum and noticed some newer shiny marks probably caused by the back of the drum scraping there. The felt at the back which is stapled in was moved around when I vacuumed the area it probably had an inch of lint back there. I tried putting it back like it was and am currently running with no rumbling. The front felt shows the side which is rubbing the other side is still pure white so I think that might be a problem but I think that was a problem even before this rumbling issue. I also attached the screw in the bottom picture in the lower right hand corner connecting the back round plate to the intake. I had to drill a hole. It was rattling around otherwise

Attachments

• IMG_0062 (1).jpg
    IMG_0062 (1).jpg
    287.5 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0063.jpg
    IMG_0063.jpg
    390 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0064.jpg
    IMG_0064.jpg
    404.9 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

sillyrib

Premium Member
Started rumbling again after about an hour. Those marks in the back may just be from where I hit the drum when reinstalling it for the tenth time. Usually when I reinstall the drum the noise goes away for at least 15 min- 1 hour then comes back sometimes worse than ever and doesn't go away. Not sure now heat has anything to with it run on fluff and it happens again.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, If this rumbling just started after you replaced the front felt assembly, then I'd remove it and re-install it with a brand new felt assembly. Its either defective or you didn't install it properly.

I emailed 3 amazon sellers.
We don't recommend buying parts on amazon because of defective or cheap aftermarket parts.

Send those parts back and order them through our links and that should fix it.

Look here at this thread at post #7 what Anthony said:

Jake

Last edited:

sillyrib

Premium Member
Does this idler arm install belt loop look ok to you? I see rubber debris under it.

Attachments

• idler arm.GIF
    idler arm.GIF
    622.6 KB · Views: 24

sillyrib

Premium Member
All the parts were from appliance repair or sears parts direct. only the belt came from Amazon

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
So, i'd replace the rear bearing assembly if I was you, that should solve it.
Yes, I agree with Jake. Replace the rear bearing. This doesn't look good:
Snapshot_1.jpg

sillyrib

Premium Member
I have swapped out the rear bearing for the second new one and same problem came back. I notice when I push the back of the dryer the rumbling goes away. All three bearings I have replaced look undamaged. The original has a inner dimple and a larger ball. the two new ones have a outer dimple and a smaller ball and hole in the plastic holder. The mess of grease is just from pulling it out over and over again.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Did you also replace the Plastic Cup that the ball bearing rides on there in the photo? It looks way to wide open.

Here's the new one below, see how narrow it is?

Jake