Status
Not open for further replies.

kristie

Premium Member
Model Number
G.E. Arctica
Brand
GE
Expensive GE Arctica freezes all food in REFRIGERATOR regardless of what we set the temperature control at. (It's now set at 43, and makes no difference!)Has ruined all the fruits and veges, and this morning the gallon of milk was frozen solid!!

ascaccia

Premium Member
Hello Kristie,

I have the same fridge with the same problem. Have you figured out out to fix the freezing problem or is the GE Arctic Profile a piece of junk?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Here is 2 articles on the GE Artica Freezing Problem:

Damper door broken G.E artica:

Affects all 2001 models produced with "M" as the eight letters in the model i.e.: PSS25SGM with serial date code LA4 , MA4 , RA4 , SA4 , TA4 , VA4 , ZA4 & AD4. Freezing happens when damper door breaks leaving the unit with no control over the very cold air entering fresh food compartment from the freezer.

Replace damper door assy , with new damper door kit:
Damper Control Assembly WR49X10091 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

To verify the damper door is broken , remove the light shield and rear light bulb from the top of the refrigerator. Enter the factory diagnostic mode by pushing all four temperature control buttons at the same time. Perform damper motor test (FZ 1 , FF 0). Press any other button i.e. Custom cool or filter reset to start damper test cycle. Shine flashlight through right hand side opening of light assembly to view movement of damper door. To exit test mode (FZ 1 , FF 6). lf damper door assembly needs to be replaced , pull top two shelves out 2 ". Pull rear tower assembly slightly forward with both hands, move to the left and the right to expose the two screws that secure the duct assembly , also remove both screws that secure the duct to the ceiling. Replace with new damper motor assembly WR49X10091.

Freezing in crispers G.E artica:

Models Affected: All 23 25 27 and 29 cubic foot electronic side-by-side refrigerator units with plastic Liners manufactured in 2001 or later. This includes all Profile- (Arctica and Eterna") models Consumers have called with reports of freezing in the Vegetable (middle) pan or the CustomCool M (bottom) pan , frozen water tank or frozen water filter.Freezing in the pans , a frozen water tank or a frozen water filter is caused by excessive airflow from the vents in the tower.

To eliminate these freezing issues , install kit:
Vegetable Drawer Insulation Kit WR49X10045 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

Follow the instructions included in the kit.

Jake

kristie

Premium Member
After two service calls (replacing the part containing the damper door, which was indeed broken) the refrigeragor is working better. However, the freezer still occasionally goes to -6, AFTER the repair. The part was $100, and I believe the service call was $50. After many phone calls and e-mails, I did get them to waive the $50, but still had to pay the $100. If you haven't called regarding the ruined food, I suggest you do, as I was able to get $100 check (which is the maximum allowed) from their insurance company to help cover the ruined food. I'm sorry to say I really do think this refrigerator is a very expensive lemon.

Good luck!

marlat63

We are experiencing the same problem with frozen foods in the refrigerator. But additionally, we arehaving a problem with the water panel. We can't get anything on it to work (not the water dispenser nor the ice dispenser). Could this problem be related to the damper as well? Also, I noticed that two different kits were recommended for this problem. Which should we purchase or do we need them both?:shock:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

If its freezing most everything in the refrigerator section, then it sounds like you will need the Damper Door Kit.

The problem with the front ice and water dispenser is a different issue, i have run into a few of these problems, the micro-board that controls the dispensers tend to go out as well as that solenoid that opens the ice dispenser door.

Jake

ascaccia

Premium Member
thanks for your help. It's too bad GE doesn't have to do a recall like the car business when they make a cheap faulty product.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Your welcome Ascaccia, Yea, that would help others alot if they did a recall on things like this. I think they only will recall something if it endangers your life or property or both.

Jake

Rodney

I replaced my damper assembly with WR49X10091 and it appears to be working okay. I did notice the new assembly does not have the same holes for the air to circulate. There was one coming out of the top and right hand side of the old one, but they are plugged on the new one. The new one only has the left side hole and the one that directs cold air down the rear tower. Does anyone know if that is just how the part was redesigned?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Rodney,

Yes, thats the way they have re-designed it.

Glad its working ok for you now.:cool:

Jake

Jeanne

The GE Profile Artica is an expensive piece of junk. As soon as I can afford it, I am getting rid of this lemon. My produce is always frozen, it leaks water from the back and the filter freezes up all the time. I will never buy another GE appliance again!

Jeanne

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Jeanne,

Sorry to hear about the GE Arctica problems, I moved your post to the Brand Forums.

If enough people express their opinions on the brand problems, maybe we can get a factory representative to take note and fix everything at the factory before the units are shipped out to the consumers.

Jake

Al_DePansieu

GE Profile GSS25LGMBWW side-by-side

My GE Profile GSS25LGMBWW side-by-side is freezing food in the refrigerator, even on the lowest setting of "1" (highest temp). This is happening not just in the drawers, but the entire refrigerator compartment. The water dispenser in the freezer door stopped working at the same time (coincidence?). I was thinking that maybe the dispensed water passes through the water filter in the refrigerator compartment first (which is frozen solid), so it perhaps can't come out the dispenser until the refrigerator thaws? I can still dispense ice, although I haven't confirmed whether it's still making *new* ice or just dispensing what's left in the ice reservoir.

A service technician wants to replace the ASM main board, and go from there. After reading some of these blog & post entries, I'm not so sure I want to waste $300 on parts and labor and risk the problem not yet being fixed. Not to mention a monkey could replace that board for 1/3 of the cost. I didn't see my model listed in the previous posts about repair kits. Any ideas?

Last edited:

eschuetz

Looking to buy a used GE Artic

Is this refrigerator freezing issue a common one for the GE side-by-side models? I am looking at purchasing a used GE Artic and just want to make sure that this is a fairly small issue in the whole scheme of things.

Thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
eschuetz said:
Is this refrigerator freezing issue a common one for the GE side-by-side models? I am looking at purchasing a used GE Artic and just want to make sure that this is a fairly small issue in the whole scheme of things.

Thanks!
Hi,

I wouldn't buy a used GE Arctica, these had many more problems than just the freezing issue.

I would buy a new GE Arctica and I advise everyone to purchase at least a 5 yr. extended warranty if the appliance is digital/electronically controlled.

Jake

dan_juls

Premium Member
Is the problem with Artica same for Eterna models?

I have an Eterna model ESS255LGM side-by-side, and it is freezing everything in the fridge. I noticed that the freezing in the crispers is the same for Artica and Eterna. Is the damper door problem also the same on the Eterna models? I do have an MA4 serial. Thanks

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

I haven't had the chance to work on any of these Eterna models, so i would hate to speculate is its like the Artica or not.
This might be a good question for the RepairGuru .

Jake

Calamari

Premium Member
Model PSS27SGMDBS

So I have been reading the issues. Is this covered under the 5 year warranty? I am a few months away from that expiring and this just started happening to my fridge along with a few other things.

WAY too much $$$ was spent on this to be having problems like this happening.:mad:

Thanks,
Calamari

headpaneer

Premium Member
So I have been reading the issues. Is this covered under the 5 year warranty? I am a few months away from that expiring and this just started happening to my fridge along with a few other things.

WAY too much $$$ was spent on this to be having problems like this happening.:mad:

Thanks,
Calamari
I have the same question for our PSI23SGNAFBS

For quite a while, regardless of what we set the digital temp at, the actual temp has read as low as 33°. This morning, the indicated temperature was 29°! Guess it is finally time to take care of the problem. Fortunately, the water system and freezer have been working fine (knocking on wood).

Status
Not open for further replies.