• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Food in Refrigerator Freezing

Status
Not open for further replies.

beebo10

Premium Member
PSS25NGMAWW profile artica

well i tried the test jake posted on the first page(dampner door kit). I didn't even see the black plastic closing/opening. but i could hear a motor going. so i took it out and took it apart. somehow the plastic molding that hooks to the motor broke. i got some super glue and put it back in there and it seems to be good so far. if it doesn't last, i will just buy the kit. it was fairly simple thing to do. I also had no water getting dispensed but it made ice. traced the problem to the solenoid set in the back of the fridge. now i have ice and water. thanks for the advice jake:)

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks beebo10.:)

Jake

J

Jbrads

Temp Too Cold GSH25JSRFSS

I just recently replaced the main PC Board WR55X10942

Now the temperature inside my refrigerator is below 20 degrees. Any ideas? The main PC board was replaced due to the unit went dead including the water & ice dispenser. This unit is now just a few weeks over 1-year old. It's like GE has this timing function to die after the warranty expires. Really starting to hate GE products.

J

Jbrads

Well GE ran a diagnostic check on my Refrigerator and found nothing wrong. I guess it best to start with the simple things such as a faulty $5 thermometer from the local grocery store. Since none of my items were actually froze this should have been a quick soolution...TGIF

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Nanckat

Premium Member
GE Profile Artica Refrigerator problems

I have the Ge Profile Artica Refrigerator and everything in the refrigerator is freezing. The tomatoes turned into big balls of ice. I called a repairman from Sears to come out and they sent someone from AM/PM repair. They said it was the Damper Assembly and it would cost $800 to replace it. We only paid about $1200 for the refrigerator 3 years ago. My husband gave a deposit of $250 to the repair guy. I was not home at the work at the time and when I found out how much it was going to cost, I knew we had to do something other than just suck up the $800. I went on the GE website and contacted their website about people having problems with their products. I sent am email with my problem and also called yesterday and talked to someone at that site. They said all I needed to do was send the invoice from the Service call from AM/PM and they would send us the part. They also said if we use an authorized GE repairman, we will have a 5 year warranty on this part. They are sending us the part for free. I am now waiting to get our $250 back from AM/PM minus the $45 service call charge. I don't know how much the installation will be, but I don't think it will be anywhere near $800.

Nanckat

Premium Member
Outcome of food freezing

We received the parts for the refrigerator today and I just ordered them yesterday. Ge actually sent us 2 damper assembly kits for free. My husband installed the kit and it only took him about 15 minutes to install it. He is not a GE repairman. We almost paid a company $800 to replace this part that only costs $95 if you had to buy it. I am going to contact Sears whom we called for repair and the repair company they contracted out to us and tell them they are ripping people off.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad you got it fixed.

Yes, Do let Sears know they need to stop telling people a repair like this is $800.

Jake

bmeeks8

Premium Member
Artica PSS27NGPACC freezing veggies -- new damper assy didn't help

Help! I have a GE Artica side-by-side model PSS27NGPAC with serial number starting with LF4 that is freezing things in the vegetable bin and custom cool drawers. The temp inside the crisper drawer is 20 degrees, while the temp on the top shelf is about 38 degrees. Freezer temp is normal at 0 degrees (+/- 1 degree).

I read lots of posts on the web and initially suspected the damper assembly, so I ordered a new one along with the Airflow Reduction Kit. When I removed the old damper I saw that it appeared to be working fine. I replaced it anyway since my wife is frustrated with the freezing. At the same time I noticed that my unit appears to already have all the parts installed that came with the Airflow Reduction Kit. I have the foam wrap over the water supply pipe, and there is a covering over the vents in the bottom of the rear airflow tower.

Even with the new damper assembly, it still freezes in the lower bins. What else could it be? I've been told it might be the thermistors, but the indicated temp on the digital display seems to match my thermometer display. I do notice stratification in the FF section. It is much colder on the bottom than the top of the fresh food section. For example, top shelf temp will be 38 while the shelf just above the Deli Fresh drawer will be 30. The FF digital temp display will also say 38 degrees.

This all started bout two months ago. The refrigerator was purchased new in August of 2003.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You may be having a more techinal issue that would require GE to come out to see whats going on.

You can contact GE to get a tech. out.

Jake

chuckie49

Premium Member
I found my damper and it was broken. I supergluded it together & it worked great for 2 weeks. It seems like when it is time for the damper motor to open or close the door it (the motor) continues to try and force the door for about 5 seconds after the door has reached a stopping point. Is this a problem with the motor or a circuit board telling the motor when to stop?
Thanks

chuckie49

Premium Member
Sorry-I didn't give any model info. regarding my previous blog:2001 GE side by side Eterna...How does the motor know when the damper door is firmly opened or closed? Seems like this is why the doors keep breaking.
Chuckie

bmeeks8

Premium Member
I'm no expert on GE refrigerators, but from my other electronics training and experience, I believe the door is operated by a servo mechanism. That means the computer sends a movement signal and the electronics in the servo-motor take it from there and position the door. If the servo is messed up and is not getting reliable feedback about the damper door's position, it would try to keep moving it to where the computer wants it.

Might be better off to replace the whole damper and servo assembly.

chuckie49

Premium Member
Thanks BMEEKS8. Found the entire assembly:housing,fan motor,damper motor, damper door & wiring for $70.00 from Appliane Repair.com.Ordered it & paid the $15.00 shipping for 2 day. I'll have it Tuesday & I'll let ya know.(I can install this in under 15min.! that's either a good thing or bad!)
Thanks again...Chuck

odie3

Premium Member
I am very thankful for this thread about the GE Artica. Our unit has been freezing food for so long it is not even funny. When we came back from vacation just about all of our food was frozen, including our milk and OJ. Once I got the my damper out, it was clearly broken and even little black bits fell out. :eek:

However, with the new damper door kit I am noticing that the cold air out flow is no longer coming from where the back light bulb is at but from the left (facing the freezer side of the wall). Is this normal or should I be poking a hole from the foam so the cold air is flowing like before?

I replaced my damper assembly with WR49X10091 and it appears to be working okay. I did notice the new assembly does not have the same holes for the air to circulate. There was one coming out of the top and right hand side of the old one, but they are plugged on the new one. The new one only has the left side hole and the one that directs cold air down the rear tower. Does anyone know if that is just how the part was redesigned?
I believe this is what I am seeing and from the post after Rodney's, this is normal. Am I correct?

Last edited:

bmeeks8

Premium Member
If it is keeping the Fresh Food compartment at the set temperature (37 -38 degrees), I would not worry about it. I believe GE made some changes to the assembly to reduce cold air flow to the veggie bins.

One other thing that can cause veggie bin "freezing" of fruits and stuff-- if your Artica has the "Custom Cool" option, there is another servo-operated damper assembly down there. That's where my freezing problem was coming from. The Custom Cool drawer has a heater for thawing meat and a cold air inlet from the freezer side for fast chilling stuff. That cold air damper was stuck in my unit and 0-degree air from the freezer compartment was always getting into the bottom Custom Cool drawer and freezing everything down in the bottom of the refrigerator.

Getting to the servo down in the Custom Cool section is not as easy as the top unit damper. Also, the replacement assembly is a bit more expensive.

bswiz

Premium Member
Hi, I came across this thread while trying to research why the food in my Arctica fridge is freezing. I ran the damper self-test, but am not quite sure what I am looking for to see if it opens & closes OK. I removed the top light assembly and see a squarish hole roughly 1.5" x 1.5". If I shine the flashlight in here, I can see back a few inches and it just looks black.

When I run the damper auto-test, I hear a motor or something running but don't see any door close over this hole. Am I looking in the right place? Should the damper door be obvious - how far down that hole is it?

Assuming the damper is not closing, and that's the problem - is the part pretty easy to replace? I'm not very handy - is it pretty much plug and play?

Thanks in advance!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

bswiz

Premium Member
Jake - Thanks for the response. If you can remember, how does the damper door work - is it a flapper type door that would swing up into position, or slide across the opening left to right, etc? It sounds like it would be fairly obvious, so I'm pretty sure this is in fact the problem with my fridge because I definitely don't see any kind of door moving when I run the test.

Status
Not open for further replies.