For all you old school experts

Huck1974

Premium Member
Model Number: AC-82-AA16
Brand: GE

Neighbor was throwing this away some years ago, so I put it in my shop and forgot about it. Some years have past and we bought acreage in the country. Last year we put in an inground pool and I just finished building an adjacent 1200 sq. ft. covered pavilion. I started building the bar cabinets and I thought about the old fridge. I plugged it in and it worked. I guess it is mid 50s with a small icebox to the right center inside it.

The icebox freezes up inside and out with a thick coating of ice and the internal temp of the unit is about 34 degrees when the temp control is set to 1 out of 6. The door seals are shot. My goal is to replace the seals and make the icebox not freeze up and the temperature control work properly before I put a paint job on it. I'm sure this has been discussed before on here, so I apologize in advance and thank you for your help.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Replacing the door gasket will probably solve the ice build up. How long does it take to frost up on the outside? Parts for that machine have long since been discontinued. You might be able to find some universal door gasket material online. antiqueappliance.com no longer sells the door gasket material. I don't have any way of looking up to see what style you have. If you want to post a few pictures here I'll see what I can find.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
I guess it is mid 50s
Its parts list was last updated July 1957 so it is from sometimes prior to that.

My goal is to replace the seals
The parts list didn't even mention the door gasket so I would assume it isn't available. The company at the following link can supply many styles of aftermarket fridge door seals, both magnetic and compression type. Maybe you can find something suitable there?

LINK > Custom Door Gaskets

JFYI

Dan O.

Huck1974

Premium Member
Thanks guys. I'll start with figuring out the seal. It was several hours before it froze up. Could the seal also be the reason that the fridge is 34 with the temp control on the lowest setting?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
It could. Depends on where the thermostat capillary is located and how bad the door gasket is.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
How frosted?

Could the seal also be the reason that the fridge is 34 with the temp control on the lowest setting?
If the compressor is running, replacing the thermostat won't help. All it does is turn the compressor on and off. Don't expect an older manual defrost refrigerator model to cool anything in hours, overnight is much more realistic.

It was several hours before it froze up.
How badly frosted is it?? Can you post a pic?

A frosted-over evaporator (1/4" thick or more) will reduce the cooling ability of the appliance. If the frosting is even across the whole evaporator, that is likely the most cooling you're going to get from it... except for limitations due to excessive frosting. If only part of the evaporator is frosting, there might be a refrigeration system problem.

Dan O.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Control on warm setting?

Could the seal also be the reason that the fridge is 34 with the temp control on the lowest setting?
Sorry, did you mean it's 34 deg. on the warmest setting? If so, the thermostat might be out of calibration or its capillary tube not in proper contact with the evaporator.

BTW. The best way to get an idea of the fridge's temperature is to put a container of water on a middle shelf and measure that water's temperature 12-24 after a temperature adjustment. If you're just measuring air temperature, it could vary depending on where the measurement is taken.

Dan O.