• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FPES3085KFG Frigidaire slide-in electric range: half of burner always on

corsair

Premium Member
Model Number
FPES3085KFG
Brand
Frigidaire
Pretty new to appliance repair, I appreciate any help. This is a last desperate attempt.

I turned the knob to switch my front right burner on on my range on low and it got really hot. I turned the burner off and it stayed on! After looking at it I realized the burner seems to consist of 2 elements (the element itself has 4 connections though, you can see by look up element 316530001). One of the elements responds normally, as expected, but the other element is stuck permanently on high—even when switching the control off. The only way I could turn off the element was by disconnecting the power.

It doesn’t take much to fine the primary presumed culprits for this: infinity switch / simmerstat or the burner element itself. However, my case seems to be unique from others in that half of the element was stuck on and half behaved normally. Still, here’s what I’ve tried:

* I replaced the 318411401 control assembly, which includes the infinite switch. Didn’t help.
* I then replaced the 316442062 control board (which the control assembly connects directly to). Didn’t help.
* I then replaced 316530001 element (front right), the problematic element. Didn’t help.

Right now I have all 3 installed simultaneously. The problem persists. I don’t see how this is possible. I’m no expert. But it seems like I’ve tried everything from the control, the circuit the controls connect to, to the element connected to that. I’m not sure what else to try. Is there anything else?

Note that for this oven, the controls for the oven and range are on the front, but there are still wires that all run to the back of the oven.

Other notes:

* I think there is another circuit behind the oven, against the wall, I think it is the relay control board for the oven but not 100% sure. I haven’t replaced that one, I figured it was for the oven.
* There’s also a couple of circuits right below the clock—I haven’t replaced those. I would think these would be extremely unlikely, but I’m at my wit’s end.

At this point my next best bet seems to be to replace the oven itself. I could hire a local technician as well, and may, but at this point I'm worried my problem is obscure enough I'd be out a service visit charge and a still broken oven.

Thanks a ton.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, its the relay board, I looked up your wiring diagram and that's where your surface burners connect to.

Two other members had this same problem and new relay board fixed them both.

All Kenmore 790 models are made by Frigidaire.

Read Ricks post #2 here:

Your model uses the exact same relay board, you can order it here:

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

corsair

Premium Member
Thanks, it appears most sites this is on factory back-order, including Appliance Parts Pros (who had me try the parts above, actually....). Per their customer service it could even be months out. I have it on order with them but months without an oven is not palatable. It looks like there are a few sites that have it for sale, who very clearly indicate no returns, and I also bought one on amazon and actually have it on-hand now, but was hesitant to install it. However, to all intents and purposes it looks genuine, is there anything I can check to ascertain if the part is a lemon or not?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I myself would never buy any part on amazon or ebay even if its on back-order for months. I'd buy a new range before buying parts on amazon or ebay.

is there anything I can check to ascertain if the part is a lemon or not?
Unfortunately not.

Did you try RepairClinic?

Jake