FPHB2899LF4 Bottom Freezer Stopped Cooling

Chuckmartel

Premium Member
Model Number
FPHB2899LF4
Brand
Frigidaire
Just notice earlier the temp was going up. Fridge temp is normal. Sounds like the compressor is running attempting to cool but can’t feel any airflow in the freezer itself.

Chuckmartel

Premium Member
*Update*

By the time I went to bed last night temp was at 21F. Woke up at 5 this morning, freezer was back down to 0, by 630 was back up to 7F and climbing.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Sounds like the compressor is running attempting to cool but can’t feel any airflow in the freezer itself.
Is the freezer fan motor running right now?

Jake

Chuckmartel

Premium Member
Fairly certain it was when I left for work this morning. I almost felt like something froze up since the temp was good earlier this morning then started rising again.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The Fan is not running in your last photo.

Jake

Chuckmartel

Premium Member
I had the fridge turned off. Had zero airflow before, melted off all the ice, reassembled and air flow is back, but I’m assuming I have an issue with my defrost system. The fridge was down for a few days in Dec with a MB fried so it’s iced up since then.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Fridge temp is normal. Sounds like the compressor is running attempting to cool but can’t feel any airflow in the freezer itself.
Well, if it was a defrost problem BOTH your refrigerator and freezer temps would keep rising and the freezer temp would not keep going back down, see what I mean? Your evaporator coil would be so clogged with frost you would not be able to see the coils at all period.:)

Put the evaporator cover back in place and keep monitoring it.

If you find the evaporator fan motor is not running when it should be running, Check for 12 volts DC to the fan between red and brown wires. Check for variant voltage (depending on high or low speed) between yellow and brown. If the volts checks ok then replace the Evaporator fan motor.

Here's the evaporator fan motor for your model you can order:
241509402 Motor

Watch this video to access/replace it:

Jake

Chuckmartel

Premium Member
Ah that makes sense. I’ll keep monitoring it. I did find the green wire that grounds at the tin cover fairly rusty, so cleaned that all up. Thanks for the responses and the help!!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad to help, keep us posted.

Jake

Chuckmartel

Premium Member
Well, lasted five months almost and froze up again. Evap fan motor running but had no flow. Took off rear panel and found iced up. Thawed out with a hair dryer quick and everything is back to normal. I checked the door seal, condition looks okay.

Chuckmartel

Premium Member
Well, lasted five months almost and froze up again. Evap fan motor running but had no flow. Took off rear panel and found iced up. Thawed out with a hair dryer quick and everything is back to normal. I checked the door seal, condition looks okay.
But I’m wondering if I should change the seal anyways

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ice or frost?

Frost Patterns.jpg

I’m wondering if I should change the seal anyways
Don't replace it if its sealing properly.

Jake

Chuckmartel

Premium Member
It was more like the “no airflow across coils” picture. I checked the fan operation when I first noticed the temp going up and it was going.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, if it looks like that “no airflow across coils” and the fan is running, then you have a more serious problem, and you will need Frigidaire Canada 1-800-265-8352 to come out to see what's going on.

Jake